/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Balance of issues
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 2/28/12 11:56 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Draft 1 Wireframe (W'rkncacnter)

: Yes, there does seem to be some debate about what links should show up, but
: so far I haven't seen anyone other than you say they like the marathon
: terminal color scheme for the webpage (it's possible I missed a post
: somewhere). On the other hand, several people have mentioned it's a bad
: idea. The fact that you haven't really acknowledged that gives the
: impression you're being too protective of your original idea and aren't
: willing to change. I'm not saying that is the case for sure, but that's
: the general feeling I'm getting, and apparently I'm not alone on this.

See my response "On Process" to Ryoko for comments on defensiveness and argument in general. Short version: arguing about things is a part of the process and the whole reason why I'm having this discussion instead of just doing what I want in private.

In regards to the color scheme, most of the arguments against so far amount to "I don't like it" (and I've had other people tell me "I like it!", so that's a mixed bag there), or "websites don't look like that anymore" (so what? not all websites have to look alike. is there a good reason why a web site shouldn't look that way?), and a couple fallacious arguments of the latter sort which I've specifically addressed (rounded buttons and gradients are outdated... when those are new features in the latest CSS spec). There have been some good points that I'm thinking about how to address (people who find light on black hard to read).

And there are more issues than just "what links to put where" being balanced between arguments in either direction. Off the top of my head:

- The color scheme.
* Besides me, poenas.dare thinks it should touch on old Marathon themes but not rigidly conform to them (I agree), Diogenes was suggesting using elements from the Aleph One Marathon theme (I disagree), Joho likes black backgrounds, and someone (poena.dare again?) said that reading black text on white was "like reading through a flashlight"
* You, Treellama, Ryoko and others have your objections to it, addressed above.

- Columns in the layout
* Joho seems to want one column. I wanted one originally, before other concerns came up. Hamish likes two better than three.
* Bob-B-Q liked three better than two. I switched from one to three to accomodate a concern I thought Hamish had and another concern that occurred to me, then back down to two after Hamish clarified.

- Fixed or fluid layout, and text columns
* One initial comment was happy that it now filled a 1024x768 monitor instead of the old fixed-800px(?) layout, and I intend a fluid layout to continue to address such concerns into the future. Ryoko (I think?) made mention of text columns in magazines as a way of keeping wide pages of text readable, and I tried a quick pass at implementing them in my last draft.
* Others are complaining that it looks horrible on wide screens, and Treellama especially seems to hate the text columns. I am not happy with the text columns myself, and I brainstorming other solutions that don't involve the lazy way of just fixing the width.

- Get Marathon
* poena.dare wants it gone completely, it seems, or completely out of the way of returning visitors at least. Treellama wants it a minimal link to SBO. I wanted it a single link to begin with, then changed my mind.
* Joho wants it the most prominent feature of the site, and someone else I don't recall agreed, I think. I rethought my initial position and decided it deserves its own aside on the main page, but should still be be out of the way.

- News
* Joho thinks it should be deprioritized so as not to distract from Get Marathon. Ryoko thinks it is an unimportant feature and there should be many fewer news posts on the front page.
* poena.dare seems to think it should be the main focus (if I understand him correctly), and Hamish has been busy posting news and apparently driving hits that way recently. I think at least one news item needs to be visible at initial page load, but can be flexible beyond that.

- Prioritizing links
* I think some links need to be featured more prominently than others, and Joho seems to agree even more vehemently.
* Hamish seems to think they should all be on equal footing.

- Old/dead links:
* Hamish sounded like he wanted all links on the front page to remain there, and I was defending his edict with a column of misc links.
* I initially wanted to shunt all non-main links into a separate page entirely. Joho seems to second that notion. Hamish now seems to be saying lets at least cull the links down to the live ones and split them into active and inactive, but keep them, deprioritized, on the main page, which I can agree with.

So I am listening, and my position is changing. I went from one column, seven links only (not intentional), Get Marathon and More links hidden behind two of those, the rest is news; to three-column, Get Marathon and More Links right there on the first page; down to two-column, Get Marathon right there on the first page and More Links deprioritized below it.

I wasn't even intending to be talking about color scheme and such window dressing yet, and only threw it on quickly to show Joho that three columns didn't have to be so busy if they were properly (de)emphasized with different styles, and then touched up that quick throw-together a bit when you all screamed "ew!" It is not meant to be a finished product yet, and I'm not even focusing hard on the style at this point; I'm just trying to nail down general layout and organization first.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

marathon.bungie.orgGodot 2/18/12 3:29 a.m.
     Re: marathon.bungie.orgBob-B-Q 2/18/12 7:20 a.m.
           Re: marathon.bungie.orgMrM12LRV 2/18/12 7:30 a.m.
           Re: marathon.bungie.orgGodot 2/18/12 8:54 a.m.
     Re: marathon.bungie.orgTycho 2/18/12 10:12 a.m.
           Re: marathon.bungie.orgGodot 2/18/12 10:17 a.m.
                 Re: marathon.bungie.org *LINK*Tycho 2/18/12 10:32 a.m.
                       Re: marathon.bungie.orgJohannes Gunnar 2/20/12 12:00 a.m.
     Big ideas for marathon.bungie.orgForrest of B.org 2/22/12 8:18 p.m.
           Re: Big ideas for marathon.bungie.orgGodot 2/23/12 12:02 a.m.
           Re: Big ideas for marathon.bungie.orgJohannes Gunnar 2/23/12 4:04 a.m.
                 Re: Big ideas for marathon.bungie.orgForrest of B.org 2/23/12 6:29 p.m.
           Re: Big ideas for marathon.bungie.orgtreellama 2/23/12 4:21 a.m.
                 Big ideas for mar.b.org breakdownForrest of B.org 2/23/12 6:37 p.m.
                       Idea 1: OrganizationForrest of B.org 2/23/12 6:50 p.m.
                             Re: Idea 1: OrganizationJohannes Gunnar 2/23/12 11:00 p.m.
                                   Re: Idea 1: OrganizationForrest of B.org 2/23/12 11:22 p.m.
                                   Re: Idea 1: Organizationtreellama 2/24/12 3:53 a.m.
                             Draft 1 WireframeForrest of B.org 2/25/12 10:52 p.m.
                                   Re: Draft 1 WireframeJohannes Gunnar 2/26/12 5:46 a.m.
                                         Re: Draft 1 WireframeForrest of B.org 2/26/12 11:58 a.m.
                                               Re: Draft 1 WireframeForrest of B.org 2/26/12 5:46 p.m.
                                                     Re: Draft 1 WireframeDiogenes 2/26/12 6:39 p.m.
                                                           Re: Draft 1 WireframeForrest of B.org 2/26/12 8:04 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Draft 1 WireframeGodot 2/26/12 11:26 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Draft 1 WireframeJohannes Gunnar 2/27/12 11:05 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Draft 1 Wireframepoena.dare 2/27/12 12:02 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Draft 1 Wireframetreellama 2/27/12 4:39 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Draft 1 WireframeRyokoTK 2/27/12 5:58 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Draft 1 Wireframe *LINK*W'rkncacnter 2/27/12 7:45 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Draft 1 WireframeForrest of B.org 2/27/12 8:41 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Draft 1 Wireframepoena.dare 2/28/12 2:27 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: Draft 1 WireframeForrest of B.org 2/28/12 11:55 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Draft 1 Wireframepoena.dare 2/29/12 3:35 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Draft 1 Wireframepoena.dare 2/29/12 8:01 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Draft 1 WireframeForrest of B.org 2/27/12 8:39 p.m.
                                                     Re: Draft 1 Wireframetreellama 2/27/12 4:24 a.m.
                                                           Re: Draft 1 WireframeForrest of B.org 2/27/12 9:42 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Draft 1 WireframeJohannes Gunnar 2/27/12 11:16 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Draft 1 Wireframebrilliant 2/29/12 11:38 p.m.
                                                     Re: Draft 1 WireframeRyokoTK 2/27/12 2:29 p.m.
                                                           Re: Draft 1 WireframeForrest of B.org 2/27/12 8:48 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Draft 1 Wireframetreellama 2/28/12 4:31 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Draft 1 WireframeJohannes Gunnar 2/28/12 6:44 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Draft 1 WireframeForrest of B.org 2/28/12 9:22 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Draft 1 Wireframetreellama 2/28/12 9:40 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: Draft 1 WireframeForrest of B.org 2/28/12 10:54 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: Draft 1 WireframeW'rkncacnter 2/28/12 11:20 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: Draft 1 WireframeDiogenes 2/28/12 12:06 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Draft 1 Wireframepoena.dare 2/28/12 12:19 p.m.
                                                                                               Balance of issuesForrest of B.org 2/28/12 11:56 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Draft 1 WireframeRyokoTK 2/28/12 2:13 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Draft 1 Wireframepoena.dare 2/28/12 6:38 p.m.
                                                                                               On ProcessForrest of B.org 2/28/12 11:56 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: On Processtreellama 2/29/12 4:22 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Draft 1 WireframeRyokoTK 2/28/12 4:50 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Draft 1 Wireframe *LINK*Diogenes 2/28/12 5:31 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Draft 1 Wireframepoena.dare 2/28/12 6:57 a.m.
                                                     Re: Draft 1 WireframeForrest of B.org 2/27/12 9:40 p.m.
                                                           Re: Draft 1 WireframeForrest of B.org 2/27/12 9:41 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Draft 1 WireframeGodot 2/28/12 1:25 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Draft 1 Wireframepoena.dare 2/28/12 2:33 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Draft 1 WireframeJohannes Gunnar 2/28/12 7:03 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Draft 1 WireframeGodot 2/28/12 9:03 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: Draft 1 WireframeTycho 2/28/12 3:53 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Draft 1 WireframeJohannes Gunnar 2/28/12 10:44 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Draft 1 WireframeGodot 2/28/12 11:28 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Draft 1 WireframeForrest of B.org 2/28/12 9:57 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Draft 1 WireframeJohannes Gunnar 2/28/12 1:27 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Draft 1 WireframeForrest of B.org 2/28/12 11:55 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Draft 1 WireframeW'rkncacnter 2/28/12 9:46 a.m.
                                                                 Draft 4 - better variable columnsForrest of B.org 2/29/12 12:40 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Draft 4 - better variable columnsRyokoTK 2/29/12 4:41 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Draft 4 - better variable columnsRyokoTK 2/29/12 7:28 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: Draft 4 - better variable columnsW'rkncacnter 2/29/12 8:02 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: Draft 4 - better variable columnsForrest of B.org 2/29/12 8:57 p.m.
                                                                                         check out mediaqueries if you haven't yet.Johannes Gunnar 2/29/12 10:14 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: check out mediaqueries if you haven't yet.Forrest of B.org 2/29/12 11:45 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: check out mediaqueries if you haven't yet.Johannes Gunnar 3/1/12 2:08 a.m.
                                                                                                           ...alsoJohannes Gunnar 3/1/12 2:15 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: ...alsoForrest of B.org 3/1/12 10:25 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: ...alsopoena.dare 3/2/12 3:39 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: Draft 4 - better variable columnsRyokoTK 3/1/12 6:03 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: Draft 4 - better variable columns *NM* *LINK*Johannes Gunnar 3/1/12 9:30 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Draft 4 - better variable columnsRyokoTK 3/1/12 10:44 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: Draft 4 - better variable columnsForrest of B.org 3/1/12 10:02 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Draft 4 - better variable columnsRyokoTK 3/2/12 5:27 a.m.
                                                                                                           Draft 5Forrest of B.org 3/3/12 11:53 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Draft 5ukimalefu 3/4/12 3:01 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Draft 4 - better variable columnsDiogenes 2/29/12 5:08 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Draft 4 - better variable columnsForrest of B.org 2/29/12 11:29 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: Draft 4 - better variable columnsDiogenes 2/29/12 11:38 a.m.
                                                           Re: Draft 1 WireframeBob-B-Q 2/28/12 10:18 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Draft 1 Wireframepoena.dare 2/28/12 11:12 a.m.
                                                                       And they never paid me for it, either! *NM*Bob-B-Q 2/28/12 12:10 p.m.
                                   Re: Draft 1 Wireframetreellama 2/26/12 4:04 p.m.
                                         Re: Draft 1 WireframeForrest of B.org 2/26/12 5:49 p.m.
                                               Re: Draft 1 Wireframetreellama 2/27/12 5:30 a.m.
                                                     Re: Draft 1 WireframeForrest of B.org 2/27/12 9:13 a.m.
                       Idea 2: IntegrationForrest of B.org 2/23/12 7:12 p.m.
                             Re: Idea 2: Integrationtreellama 2/24/12 4:03 a.m.
                             Re: Idea 2: IntegrationW'rkncacnter 3/31/12 4:15 p.m.
                                   Re: Idea 2: IntegrationGodot 3/31/12 10:35 p.m.
                       Idea 3: UnificationForrest of B.org 2/23/12 7:27 p.m.
                             Re: Idea 3: UnificationW'rkncacnter 2/23/12 8:37 p.m.
                                   Re: Idea 3: UnificationForrest of B.org 2/23/12 11:37 p.m.
                                   Re: Idea 3: Unificationtreellama 2/24/12 4:13 a.m.
                                         Re: Idea 3: UnificationTycho 2/25/12 6:10 a.m.
                                               Re: Idea 3: UnificationForrest of B.org 2/25/12 11:01 a.m.
                             Re: Idea 3: Unificationtreellama 2/24/12 4:07 a.m.
                                   Re: Idea 3: UnificationForrest of B.org 2/24/12 10:29 a.m.
                                         Re: Idea 3: Unificationtreellama 2/24/12 10:43 a.m.
           traxus overhaulChristTrekker 2/23/12 6:28 a.m.
                 Re: traxus overhaulForrest of B.org 2/23/12 6:31 p.m.
           Re: Big ideas for marathon.bungie.orgBob-B-Q 2/23/12 6:37 a.m.
                 Re: Big ideas for marathon.bungie.orgmchief111 2/23/12 7:01 a.m.
                       Re: Big ideas for marathon.bungie.orgukimalefu 2/23/12 8:36 a.m.
                             Re: Big ideas for marathon.bungie.orgpoena.dare 2/23/12 8:57 a.m.
           Re: Big ideas for marathon.bungie.orgpoena.dare 2/23/12 6:41 a.m.
                 Re: Big ideas for marathon.bungie.orgChristTrekker 2/23/12 7:50 a.m.
     Re: marathon.bungie.orgtreellama 3/3/12 6:56 p.m.
           Re: marathon.bungie.orgRyokoTK 3/3/12 7:23 p.m.
           Re: marathon.bungie.orgForrest of B.org 3/3/12 8:47 p.m.
                 Re: marathon.bungie.org *LINK*W'rkncacnter 3/3/12 9:44 p.m.
                       Re: marathon.bungie.orgukimalefu 3/4/12 3:05 a.m.
                 Re: marathon.bungie.orgGodot 3/3/12 11:19 p.m.
                       Re: marathon.bungie.orgJohannes Gunnar 3/3/12 11:47 p.m.
           Re: marathon.bungie.orgGodot 3/3/12 11:18 p.m.
                 Re: marathon.bungie.orgW'rkncacnter 3/3/12 11:25 p.m.
                       Re: marathon.bungie.orgGodot 3/3/12 11:58 p.m.
                             Re: marathon.bungie.orgtreellama 3/4/12 7:54 a.m.
                                   Re: marathon.bungie.orgGodot 3/4/12 8:25 a.m.
                                         Re: marathon.bungie.orgtreellama 3/4/12 8:45 a.m.
                                         Re: marathon.bungie.orgGodot 3/4/12 8:46 a.m.
                                               Re: marathon.bungie.orgGodot 3/4/12 9:17 a.m.
                                                     Re: marathon.bungie.orgtreellama 3/4/12 9:27 a.m.
                                                           Re: marathon.bungie.orgRyokoTK 3/4/12 10:16 a.m.
                                                                 Re: marathon.bungie.orgW'rkncacnter 3/4/12 10:48 a.m.
                                                           Re: marathon.bungie.orgtreellama 3/4/12 6:20 p.m.
                 Re: marathon.bungie.orgtreellama 3/4/12 4:33 a.m.
           Re: marathon.bungie.orgForrest of B.org 3/4/12 12:26 a.m.
                 Re: marathon.bungie.orgRyokoTK 3/4/12 4:30 a.m.
                 Re: marathon.bungie.orgJohannes Gunnar 3/4/12 4:51 a.m.
                 Re: marathon.bungie.orgtreellama 3/4/12 8:31 a.m.
                       Re: marathon.bungie.orgtreellama 3/5/12 5:47 p.m.
                             Re: marathon.bungie.orgW'rkncacnter 3/5/12 5:58 p.m.
                             Re: marathon.bungie.orgForrest of B.org 3/5/12 8:28 p.m.
                                   Re: marathon.bungie.orgForrest of B.org 3/5/12 10:20 p.m.
                             Re: marathon.bungie.orgGodot 3/5/12 11:20 p.m.
                             Re: marathon.bungie.orgukimalefu 3/6/12 12:55 a.m.
                 Re: marathon.bungie.orgForrest of B.org 3/4/12 11:57 p.m.
                       Re: marathon.bungie.orgukimalefu 3/5/12 2:12 a.m.
                       Re: marathon.bungie.orgRyokoTK 3/5/12 6:09 p.m.
           Re: marathon.bungie.orgukimalefu 3/4/12 2:56 a.m.
                 Re: marathon.bungie.orgBob-B-Q 3/4/12 6:38 a.m.
           Re: marathon.bungie.orgTycho 3/4/12 7:06 a.m.
                 Re: marathon.bungie.orgRyokoTK 3/4/12 7:35 a.m.
                       Re: marathon.bungie.orgHopper 3/4/12 10:09 a.m.
                       Re: marathon.bungie.orgForrest of B.org 3/4/12 11:34 a.m.
     This might be a little redundant...Diogenes 3/5/12 12:04 p.m.
           Re: This might be a little redundant...poena.dare 3/5/12 2:35 p.m.
                 Re: This might be a little redundant...Diogenes 3/5/12 2:40 p.m.
                       Re: This might be a little redundant...poena.dare 3/5/12 5:31 p.m.
           Re: This might be a little redundant...Forrest of B.org 3/5/12 8:14 p.m.
                 Re: This might be a little redundant...Forrest of B.org 3/5/12 8:30 p.m.
                       Re: This might be a little redundant...RyokoTK 3/5/12 9:21 p.m.
                 Re: This might be a little redundant...RyokoTK 3/5/12 9:17 p.m.
                       Re: This might be a little redundant...Forrest of B.org 3/5/12 9:45 p.m.
                             Re: This might be a little redundant...Diogenes 3/6/12 5:04 a.m.
           Re: This might be a little redundant...Diogenes 3/6/12 5:17 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.