/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Hold the happiness people.
Posted By: D-M.A.Date: 3/19/04 10:02 p.m.

In Response To: Hold the happiness people. (Yossarian)

I agree. A similar project to this was started a few years ago on the Marathon Map Makers Guild mailing list, but it got shot in it's tracks more or less before it even got started. We had worked out (imo) a really great detailed story. One person had picked up the role as project leader and created a webpage for the project. About 20 or more people wanted to be a part of the project.

The reason it didn't work was due to lack of a decent project leaders telling everyone what to do. In the end it was only me and Candy (SheBob) contributing to the project. After the story is done we must have someone who can for example put up a list of things that need to be done and have people start working on those. This is more tricky than it sounds believe me. I've dreamed about being the leader of a project like this, but I don't think I have the time to do it. Let's see if anyone is interested in such a position.

: I think you're going to want to take this a litte slower Adam, the idea
: itself is only a few hours old. Won't we look the fools rushing into this
: only for it to fall apart within a week? Committing to this is a serious
: thing, and many times those to sign up first are the first to drop.

: I don't mind having my name on the list, and my official stance on this is I
: will contribute in any capacity in which I am capable to do so, however
: large or small that may be. Story development I can do, but never have for
: a scenario before, nor have I written terminals. If you want to check out
: what I've done, take a look over at MaraFF.

: I think if you/we are really serious about this, we're going to want to first
: get feedback from those with more experience doing this, see who else has
: dedicated interest, and then select the roles for those on hand. The last
: thing we want is 20 people working on story and a lone mapmaker. If we
: can't find a balance, maybe we should re-assess who's doing what and see
: who needs training/development. If we don't have the tools or the people,
: we may not have a project. Don't annouce it as official or live just yet,
: give people time to think about, maybe for more to join, and even for some
: to drop out if necessary. Then we review waht we have as a team and make a
: group decision.

: Also, this scenario needs a dedicated project manager, someone with plenty of
: experience with all aspects of scenario adaptation and can delegate
: repsonsibilities and understand the abilities of the team and the
: resources they bring to the table. If such a person cannot be found, or
: some team members do not like the person selected, you're going to have
: some nice problems.

: IN ADDITION, once/if things are solidified, a schedule is going to have to be
: drafted and goals created; individual and group, and the PM has to have
: the personality and persuasion to make sure these get done.

: Lastly: COMMUNICATION, that's right, in caps. Not just the tools to
: communicate (e-mail, IM, forums, fileservers, etc.) but the ability. Ideas
: have to be communicated and communicated clearly and corectly.

: Once you've got the balance, the resources, the leadership, and the plan, and
: the dedication, then man, you're golden. Trust me on this, I'm a project
: coordinator, I do this stiff for a living (but not the dude to lead this
: kind of thing up, sorry).

: Just food for thought. I know waiting and categorizing and organizing isn't
: fun, but it is FUNdamental...ha ha ha...heh. :cough: But seriously, going
: headfirst into a project without the above stuff is like trying to do a
: 600 meter run through horseshit piled six feet high.

: Yossarian

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Check this outStarship Security Officer 3/17/04 5:11 p.m.
     Re: Check this outSiphonopho 3/17/04 5:47 p.m.
           Re: Check this outStarship Security Officer 3/17/04 5:50 p.m.
                 Re: Check this outSiphonopho 3/17/04 5:51 p.m.
     Re: Check this outBob-B-Q 3/18/04 4:33 a.m.
           Re: Check this outSteve Levinson 3/18/04 4:46 a.m.
           Re: Check this outJacke 3/18/04 9:08 a.m.
     OMG actual constructive criticism!!Yossarian 3/18/04 9:24 a.m.
           Re: OMG actual constructive criticism!!Adam Ashwell 3/18/04 1:10 p.m.
           Re: OMG actual constructive criticism!!Starship Security Officer 3/18/04 6:33 p.m.
                 Re: OMG actual constructive criticism!!Steve Levinson 3/18/04 7:07 p.m.
                       Re: OMG actual constructive criticism!!Elliott 3/18/04 7:40 p.m.
                       Re: OMG actual constructive criticism!!D-M.A. 3/19/04 12:53 a.m.
                             Re: OMG actual constructive criticism!!Adam Ashwell 3/19/04 11:48 a.m.
                                   Now your're talking!Steve Levinson 3/19/04 1:35 p.m.
                                         Re: Now your're talking!Adam Ashwell 3/19/04 2:12 p.m.
                                               Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/19/04 4:38 p.m.
                                                     Let's Rip It Up!Adam Ashwell 3/19/04 5:08 p.m.
                                                     Re: Now your're talking!Adam Ashwell 3/19/04 5:29 p.m.
                                                     Re: Now your're talking!Elliott 3/19/04 6:02 p.m.
                                                           Re: Now your're talking!Adam Ashwell 3/19/04 6:19 p.m.
                                                                 Hold the happiness people.Yossarian 3/19/04 7:35 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Hold the happiness people.D-M.A. 3/19/04 10:02 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Hold the happiness people.Jacke 3/20/04 1:23 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Hold the happiness people.Adam Ashwell 3/20/04 3:15 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Hold the happiness people.the Battle Cat 3/20/04 8:11 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Hold the happiness people.Adam Ashwell 3/20/04 9:24 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Hold the happiness people.Andrew Nagy 3/20/04 2:52 p.m.
                                                           Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/19/04 10:14 p.m.
                                                     Re: Now your're talking!Andrew Nagy 3/20/04 12:28 p.m.
                                                           Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/20/04 1:21 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Now your're talking!Kirk 3/20/04 1:49 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/21/04 1:24 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Now your're talking!Andrew Nagy 3/20/04 3:01 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Now your're talking!Adam Ashwell 3/20/04 4:16 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/21/04 12:48 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Now your're talking!Adam Ashwell 3/21/04 2:10 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Now your're talking!Kirk 3/21/04 8:14 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: Now your're talking!Yossarian 3/21/04 4:31 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Now your're talking!Andrew Nagy 3/21/04 5:21 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/22/04 1:53 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: Now your're talking!Elliott 3/22/04 9:29 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: Now your're talking!Andrew Nagy 3/22/04 6:46 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Now your're talking!Andrew Nagy 3/22/04 6:53 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/23/04 12:24 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: Now your're talking!Andrew Nagy 3/23/04 4:14 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/23/04 4:38 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Now your're talking!Andrew Nagy 3/23/04 8:10 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/23/04 8:38 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Now your're talking!Adam Ashwell 3/23/04 11:53 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Now your're talking!Andrew Nagy 3/23/04 6:18 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Now your're talking!Adam Ashwell 3/23/04 6:53 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Now your're talking!goran 3/24/04 1:50 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/24/04 2:55 a.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: Now your're talking!Adam Ashwell 3/24/04 11:30 a.m.
                                                                                                                                               Re: Now your're talking!Steve Levinson 3/24/04 11:52 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                     Re: Now your're talking!Andrew Nagy 3/24/04 12:39 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                           Argh...I said "I guess" twice. [no message] *NM*Andrew Nagy 3/24/04 12:40 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                           Re: Now your're talking!Adam Ashwell 3/24/04 12:46 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                           Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/24/04 12:56 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                 Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/24/04 12:57 p.m.
                                   :ponders:Yossarian 3/19/04 1:46 p.m.
                                         Re: :ponders:Jacke 3/19/04 4:06 p.m.
                                   Sounds good to medeathmonger 3/19/04 6:20 p.m.
                                         Re: Sounds good to meAdam Ashwell 3/19/04 6:37 p.m.
                                               Re: Sounds good to meKirk 3/20/04 11:16 a.m.
                       Now, ALL YOU PEOPLE LISTEN HERE!!!Starship Security Officer 3/19/04 8:13 p.m.
                             PARTY PEOPLE RAISE YOUR HANDS IN THE AIRYossarian 3/19/04 8:29 p.m.
                                   You guys are just trying to get me to give up.Starship Security Officer 3/20/04 4:37 a.m.
                                         Re: You guys are just trying to get me to give up.Steve Levinson 3/20/04 5:44 a.m.
                                               Re: You guys are just trying to get me to give up.Adam Ashwell 3/20/04 5:49 a.m.
                                                     Re: You guys are just trying to get me to give up.deathmonger 3/20/04 6:23 a.m.
                                                           Re: You guys are just trying to get me to give up.Adam Ashwell 3/20/04 6:24 a.m.
                                                                 Re: You guys are just trying to get me to give up.Jacke 3/20/04 7:45 a.m.
                                                                       Re: You guys are just trying to get me to give up.Adam Ashwell 3/20/04 9:45 a.m.
                                                                       Re: You guys are just trying to get me to give up.D-M.A. 3/20/04 1:35 p.m.
                                               Re: You guys are just trying to get me to give up.Ernie 3/20/04 3:02 p.m.
                                                     Re: You guys are just trying to get me to give up.Andrew Nagy 3/21/04 4:42 p.m.
                                         Re: You guys are just trying to get me to give up.Little Kago 3/22/04 8:26 p.m.
                                               Except Rubicon. *NM*Andrew Nagy 3/23/04 4:15 a.m.
                 Re: OMG actual constructive criticism!!deathmonger 3/18/04 7:47 p.m.
                 Re: OMG actual constructive criticism!!Yossarian 3/18/04 7:57 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.