/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: OMG actual constructive criticism!!
Posted By: YossarianDate: 3/18/04 7:57 p.m.

In Response To: Re: OMG actual constructive criticism!! (Starship Security Officer)

: The survivors are about to fall under the up-coming empire (the communist
: oppressor degenerates), you're here to kill them and take care of that
: nuclear weapon. Sure, there may not be much to save, but if you fail in
: your mission (die), then they won't be saved and are likely to either be
: destroyed if they don't surrender within 3 days or be the 'thralls' of the
: soon formed communist government.

Hmmm, "degenerate" is still not working for me, brings to mind homeless people. Why not, say, "usurpers", or "tyrants"? Or strike it completely and just have them be "communist oppressors"? Or, because it's the future, make them neo-communists. Their official name could be something like the "Survivor's New World Democratic Republic", or SNWDR. That sounds more sinister.

: Thanks. I'll try the name: "Red Empire"

That's an improvement, but its still vague and a bit unexciting. I stiull suggest adding something to it, like, "Red Empire Rising" or "The Red Empire Chronicles".

: I'm not just mixing best elements of the top of the line FPS' out there. I AM
: adding new twists. You're using tactics, the AI is a lot better, and every
: weapon actually means something, so you aren't always stuck with the same
: old "I'm going to crush you no matter what position you're in,
: because i'm the one with a bfg". I'll also try and suggest some
: easter eggs and stuff. I don't really understand what you want me to do
: about the story. Besides, at the end of the game when you beat it, it will
: give the epilogue of what happened after you made it out and stuff. This
: isn't really supposed to have very much meaning: It's just a highly
: tactical, more advanced, somewhat realistic, more challenging and
: basically a better version of a simple shooter game. I just gave the plot
: so that way people wouldn't just think that it's some boring arcade game
: that you would get sick of after a while.

I understand what you're saying, I'm just curious about *how* you plan to go about doing all that stuff. Re-read what you wrote; who that's trying ot come up with an FPS would not say they're out to do that stuff? Everyone wants good tactics, smart AI, and maeningful weapons, it's how you actually employ that that adds the twist.

: Well, you're right on me getting mixed up. Please read the description again,
: you'll see that these guys are aimed at being our new communist,
: enslaving, cruel government, because they want to obtain full economical
: power and be the wealthiest, most powerful civilization in the entire
: universe, and enslave and kill everyone, etc etc. They aren't communists,
: WE will be if they aren't dealt with sometime. That's what the marine is
: sent in for.

Yeah, but why? Is it because they believe that is the only way for humanity to survive? Is it a few madmen exploiting the world situation to take control? Or maybe those in charge of it were part of a conspiracy to bring about the nuclear holcaust and THEN exploit the situation to take power. Maybe the player's character slowly finds this out or uncovers it? This is the difference between simply giving us moral justification to shoot the bad guys and actually working the bad guys into the story and game play. Dig?

: Ok, how 'bout 12 rounds?

Another improvement, but then you really can't have an automatic setting with only 12 rounds, your clip would empty too fast. Suggestion: why not an 8-shot .50 cal semi-auto pistol? But then, your pistol wouldn't be very weak. Consider your enemies; do they wear body armor? If so, make it a heavier round like a .45 or .50. If they are savages in loincloths then you can get away with a .38, .40, 9mm, or 10mm. Your call man.

: Ok, about the calibre thing. I admit it: I'm a kid. I'm just a kid, just a
: young pre-teen and with not much gun knowledge, the most knowledge I have
: with guns is basically about aiming tactics, which I learn with lowly B-B
: guns and .22 rifles. I'm sorry.

Don't apologize, its no one's fault or anything. I'm just trying to give you some insight, this is some necessary stuff with weapons. If you expect people to pore over then and tear them apart on forums the way we do here with Marathon, you got to be solid.

: For the guage or rounds thing, see my calibre explanation and stuff. Yes, it
: may be gay-looking with clumsy holding and a pain to reload, but sense
: Mack is very strong, it isn't a pain in the ars. It isn't a pain in the
: ass, the pumps are only a second or two.

Though we're in a post-apocalyptic world fighting neo-communists, you still have to keep grounded. A three-barreled shotgun would be nearly impossible to shoot, and reloading pump-style would require moving three rounds from three magazines into three different barrels in one action. That would take some smart pumping, not to mention the reload on three magazines would be 3x longer than normal. Three and four barrel shotguns DO exist, but most are antiques and are loaded by manual action; cracking the barrel and placing the shells in the barrel. Not to mention that firing three rounds at once could very well shatter your elbow or shoulder, especially after repeated reloadings and firings...Why not a semi-automatic shotgun? They exist, and they are badass.

: I'll reply to the rest later. I got to attend to something. Bye!

Ok.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Check this outStarship Security Officer 3/17/04 5:11 p.m.
     Re: Check this outSiphonopho 3/17/04 5:47 p.m.
           Re: Check this outStarship Security Officer 3/17/04 5:50 p.m.
                 Re: Check this outSiphonopho 3/17/04 5:51 p.m.
     Re: Check this outBob-B-Q 3/18/04 4:33 a.m.
           Re: Check this outSteve Levinson 3/18/04 4:46 a.m.
           Re: Check this outJacke 3/18/04 9:08 a.m.
     OMG actual constructive criticism!!Yossarian 3/18/04 9:24 a.m.
           Re: OMG actual constructive criticism!!Adam Ashwell 3/18/04 1:10 p.m.
           Re: OMG actual constructive criticism!!Starship Security Officer 3/18/04 6:33 p.m.
                 Re: OMG actual constructive criticism!!Steve Levinson 3/18/04 7:07 p.m.
                       Re: OMG actual constructive criticism!!Elliott 3/18/04 7:40 p.m.
                       Re: OMG actual constructive criticism!!D-M.A. 3/19/04 12:53 a.m.
                             Re: OMG actual constructive criticism!!Adam Ashwell 3/19/04 11:48 a.m.
                                   Now your're talking!Steve Levinson 3/19/04 1:35 p.m.
                                         Re: Now your're talking!Adam Ashwell 3/19/04 2:12 p.m.
                                               Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/19/04 4:38 p.m.
                                                     Let's Rip It Up!Adam Ashwell 3/19/04 5:08 p.m.
                                                     Re: Now your're talking!Adam Ashwell 3/19/04 5:29 p.m.
                                                     Re: Now your're talking!Elliott 3/19/04 6:02 p.m.
                                                           Re: Now your're talking!Adam Ashwell 3/19/04 6:19 p.m.
                                                                 Hold the happiness people.Yossarian 3/19/04 7:35 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Hold the happiness people.D-M.A. 3/19/04 10:02 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Hold the happiness people.Jacke 3/20/04 1:23 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Hold the happiness people.Adam Ashwell 3/20/04 3:15 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Hold the happiness people.the Battle Cat 3/20/04 8:11 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Hold the happiness people.Adam Ashwell 3/20/04 9:24 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Hold the happiness people.Andrew Nagy 3/20/04 2:52 p.m.
                                                           Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/19/04 10:14 p.m.
                                                     Re: Now your're talking!Andrew Nagy 3/20/04 12:28 p.m.
                                                           Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/20/04 1:21 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Now your're talking!Kirk 3/20/04 1:49 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/21/04 1:24 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Now your're talking!Andrew Nagy 3/20/04 3:01 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Now your're talking!Adam Ashwell 3/20/04 4:16 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/21/04 12:48 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Now your're talking!Adam Ashwell 3/21/04 2:10 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Now your're talking!Kirk 3/21/04 8:14 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: Now your're talking!Yossarian 3/21/04 4:31 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Now your're talking!Andrew Nagy 3/21/04 5:21 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/22/04 1:53 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: Now your're talking!Elliott 3/22/04 9:29 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: Now your're talking!Andrew Nagy 3/22/04 6:46 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Now your're talking!Andrew Nagy 3/22/04 6:53 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/23/04 12:24 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: Now your're talking!Andrew Nagy 3/23/04 4:14 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/23/04 4:38 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Now your're talking!Andrew Nagy 3/23/04 8:10 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/23/04 8:38 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Now your're talking!Adam Ashwell 3/23/04 11:53 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Now your're talking!Andrew Nagy 3/23/04 6:18 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Now your're talking!Adam Ashwell 3/23/04 6:53 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Now your're talking!goran 3/24/04 1:50 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/24/04 2:55 a.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: Now your're talking!Adam Ashwell 3/24/04 11:30 a.m.
                                                                                                                                               Re: Now your're talking!Steve Levinson 3/24/04 11:52 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                     Re: Now your're talking!Andrew Nagy 3/24/04 12:39 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                           Argh...I said "I guess" twice. [no message] *NM*Andrew Nagy 3/24/04 12:40 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                           Re: Now your're talking!Adam Ashwell 3/24/04 12:46 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                           Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/24/04 12:56 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                 Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/24/04 12:57 p.m.
                                   :ponders:Yossarian 3/19/04 1:46 p.m.
                                         Re: :ponders:Jacke 3/19/04 4:06 p.m.
                                   Sounds good to medeathmonger 3/19/04 6:20 p.m.
                                         Re: Sounds good to meAdam Ashwell 3/19/04 6:37 p.m.
                                               Re: Sounds good to meKirk 3/20/04 11:16 a.m.
                       Now, ALL YOU PEOPLE LISTEN HERE!!!Starship Security Officer 3/19/04 8:13 p.m.
                             PARTY PEOPLE RAISE YOUR HANDS IN THE AIRYossarian 3/19/04 8:29 p.m.
                                   You guys are just trying to get me to give up.Starship Security Officer 3/20/04 4:37 a.m.
                                         Re: You guys are just trying to get me to give up.Steve Levinson 3/20/04 5:44 a.m.
                                               Re: You guys are just trying to get me to give up.Adam Ashwell 3/20/04 5:49 a.m.
                                                     Re: You guys are just trying to get me to give up.deathmonger 3/20/04 6:23 a.m.
                                                           Re: You guys are just trying to get me to give up.Adam Ashwell 3/20/04 6:24 a.m.
                                                                 Re: You guys are just trying to get me to give up.Jacke 3/20/04 7:45 a.m.
                                                                       Re: You guys are just trying to get me to give up.Adam Ashwell 3/20/04 9:45 a.m.
                                                                       Re: You guys are just trying to get me to give up.D-M.A. 3/20/04 1:35 p.m.
                                               Re: You guys are just trying to get me to give up.Ernie 3/20/04 3:02 p.m.
                                                     Re: You guys are just trying to get me to give up.Andrew Nagy 3/21/04 4:42 p.m.
                                         Re: You guys are just trying to get me to give up.Little Kago 3/22/04 8:26 p.m.
                                               Except Rubicon. *NM*Andrew Nagy 3/23/04 4:15 a.m.
                 Re: OMG actual constructive criticism!!deathmonger 3/18/04 7:47 p.m.
                 Re: OMG actual constructive criticism!!Yossarian 3/18/04 7:57 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.