/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: OMG actual constructive criticism!!
Posted By: Starship Security OfficerDate: 3/18/04 6:33 p.m.

In Response To: OMG actual constructive criticism!! (Yossarian)

: Few things on this: 1) By all accounts here, the world is alread f*cked,
: super marine or no, what with all the nuclear war, how much left is there
: to save?

The survivors are about to fall under the up-coming empire (the communist oppressor degenerates), you're here to kill them and take care of that nuclear weapon. Sure, there may not be much to save, but if you fail in your mission (die), then they won't be saved and are likely to either be destroyed if they don't surrender within 3 days or be the 'thralls' of the soon formed communist government.

: 2) The word "Homicide" makes it seem like a crime. In a
: post-apocalyptic word, "homicide" seems out of place. Not the
: act, but the idea of it as a punishable crime. In addition, if we're the
: main character, do we want to be committing homicide? Criminals commit
: homicides, that's why they're criminals. Why not "Assassination"
: instead of "Homicide"? "Ultimate Assassinantion" rolls
: off the tongue a lot better.

Hm, you're right. Thanks for the advice. I'll replace the words.

: Or name it after an element in the back story, for instance, "The Red
: Hill Assassinations". Why? Because the bad guys are communists (red)
: and their hideout is a hill or something. It's all in the name man, first
: impressions are everything, and the name is one of the first thing people
: are gonna catch.

Thanks. I'll try the name: "Red Empire"

: 3.) In general you seem to reference aspects of a lot of different games.
: Good games aren't created by mixing the best elements of the top of the
: line FPS' out there, they do it by mixing the best elements of the top of
: the line FPS' out there and adding some new twists. It seems as though
: you're pretty action oriented as your story seems kinda FPS generic,
: though reworkable. Don't throw together a story just to have a setting for
: gameplay, especially if you're trying to model it after existing games.

I'm not just mixing best elements of the top of the line FPS' out there. I AM adding new twists. You're using tactics, the AI is a lot better, and every weapon actually means something, so you aren't always stuck with the same old "I'm going to crush you no matter what position you're in, because i'm the one with a bfg". I'll also try and suggest some easter eggs and stuff. I don't really understand what you want me to do about the story. Besides, at the end of the game when you beat it, it will give the epilogue of what happened after you made it out and stuff. This isn't really supposed to have very much meaning: It's just a highly tactical, more advanced, somewhat realistic, more challenging and basically a better version of a simple shooter game. I just gave the plot so that way people wouldn't just think that it's some boring arcade game that you would get sick of after a while.

: 4.) You seem to get some of your terms mixed up: oppressors, communists,
: degenerates...there needs to be some depth to these people. The concept of
: the bad guy being bad because he is bad has no bearing anymore, you're
: going ot want ot explain what these communists' aims are and why they are
: doing what they're doing. Let's also see a history of them and how they
: organized and came about. Who's their leader or leaders? How did they rise
: to power?

Well, you're right on me getting mixed up. Please read the description again, you'll see that these guys are aimed at being our new communist, enslaving, cruel government, because they want to obtain full economical power and be the wealthiest, most powerful civilization in the entire universe, and enslave and kill everyone, etc etc. They aren't communists, WE will be if they aren't dealt with sometime. That's what the marine is sent in for.

: Okay, on your guns: Pistol: Sounds decent, but what is the calibre? If it
: holds 20 rounds you're really looking at more of a submachine gun that's
: designed to be used as an automatic. Weapons with clips that large that
: are more accurate on a single shot are typically rifles.

Ok, how 'bout 12 rounds?

Ok, about the calibre thing. I admit it: I'm a kid. I'm just a kid, just a young pre-teen and with not much gun knowledge, the most knowledge I have with guns is basically about aiming tactics, which I learn with lowly B-B guns and .22 rifles. I'm sorry.

: Shotgun: Again, what is the gauge of the rounds and what's in them? A
: pump-action shotgun can't emit three rounds at once automatically, unless
: you have some sort of strange gun with three-barrels, and that would look
: pretty gay, not to mention clumsy to hold and a pain to reload. Instead of
: messing with the gun, leave it a simple shotgun and play iwth the ammo,
: different shell sizes, shot type, slugs, etc.

For the guage or rounds thing, see my calibre explanation and stuff. Yes, it may be gay-looking with clumsy holding and a pain to reload, but sense Mack is very strong, it isn't a pain in the ars. It isn't a pain in the ass, the pumps are only a second or two.

I'll reply to the rest later. I got to attend to something. Bye!

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Check this outStarship Security Officer 3/17/04 5:11 p.m.
     Re: Check this outSiphonopho 3/17/04 5:47 p.m.
           Re: Check this outStarship Security Officer 3/17/04 5:50 p.m.
                 Re: Check this outSiphonopho 3/17/04 5:51 p.m.
     Re: Check this outBob-B-Q 3/18/04 4:33 a.m.
           Re: Check this outSteve Levinson 3/18/04 4:46 a.m.
           Re: Check this outJacke 3/18/04 9:08 a.m.
     OMG actual constructive criticism!!Yossarian 3/18/04 9:24 a.m.
           Re: OMG actual constructive criticism!!Adam Ashwell 3/18/04 1:10 p.m.
           Re: OMG actual constructive criticism!!Starship Security Officer 3/18/04 6:33 p.m.
                 Re: OMG actual constructive criticism!!Steve Levinson 3/18/04 7:07 p.m.
                       Re: OMG actual constructive criticism!!Elliott 3/18/04 7:40 p.m.
                       Re: OMG actual constructive criticism!!D-M.A. 3/19/04 12:53 a.m.
                             Re: OMG actual constructive criticism!!Adam Ashwell 3/19/04 11:48 a.m.
                                   Now your're talking!Steve Levinson 3/19/04 1:35 p.m.
                                         Re: Now your're talking!Adam Ashwell 3/19/04 2:12 p.m.
                                               Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/19/04 4:38 p.m.
                                                     Let's Rip It Up!Adam Ashwell 3/19/04 5:08 p.m.
                                                     Re: Now your're talking!Adam Ashwell 3/19/04 5:29 p.m.
                                                     Re: Now your're talking!Elliott 3/19/04 6:02 p.m.
                                                           Re: Now your're talking!Adam Ashwell 3/19/04 6:19 p.m.
                                                                 Hold the happiness people.Yossarian 3/19/04 7:35 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Hold the happiness people.D-M.A. 3/19/04 10:02 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Hold the happiness people.Jacke 3/20/04 1:23 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Hold the happiness people.Adam Ashwell 3/20/04 3:15 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Hold the happiness people.the Battle Cat 3/20/04 8:11 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Hold the happiness people.Adam Ashwell 3/20/04 9:24 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Hold the happiness people.Andrew Nagy 3/20/04 2:52 p.m.
                                                           Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/19/04 10:14 p.m.
                                                     Re: Now your're talking!Andrew Nagy 3/20/04 12:28 p.m.
                                                           Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/20/04 1:21 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Now your're talking!Kirk 3/20/04 1:49 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/21/04 1:24 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Now your're talking!Andrew Nagy 3/20/04 3:01 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Now your're talking!Adam Ashwell 3/20/04 4:16 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/21/04 12:48 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Now your're talking!Adam Ashwell 3/21/04 2:10 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Now your're talking!Kirk 3/21/04 8:14 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: Now your're talking!Yossarian 3/21/04 4:31 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Now your're talking!Andrew Nagy 3/21/04 5:21 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/22/04 1:53 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: Now your're talking!Elliott 3/22/04 9:29 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: Now your're talking!Andrew Nagy 3/22/04 6:46 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Now your're talking!Andrew Nagy 3/22/04 6:53 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/23/04 12:24 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: Now your're talking!Andrew Nagy 3/23/04 4:14 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/23/04 4:38 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Now your're talking!Andrew Nagy 3/23/04 8:10 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/23/04 8:38 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Now your're talking!Adam Ashwell 3/23/04 11:53 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Now your're talking!Andrew Nagy 3/23/04 6:18 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Now your're talking!Adam Ashwell 3/23/04 6:53 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Now your're talking!goran 3/24/04 1:50 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/24/04 2:55 a.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: Now your're talking!Adam Ashwell 3/24/04 11:30 a.m.
                                                                                                                                               Re: Now your're talking!Steve Levinson 3/24/04 11:52 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                     Re: Now your're talking!Andrew Nagy 3/24/04 12:39 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                           Argh...I said "I guess" twice. [no message] *NM*Andrew Nagy 3/24/04 12:40 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                           Re: Now your're talking!Adam Ashwell 3/24/04 12:46 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                           Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/24/04 12:56 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                 Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/24/04 12:57 p.m.
                                   :ponders:Yossarian 3/19/04 1:46 p.m.
                                         Re: :ponders:Jacke 3/19/04 4:06 p.m.
                                   Sounds good to medeathmonger 3/19/04 6:20 p.m.
                                         Re: Sounds good to meAdam Ashwell 3/19/04 6:37 p.m.
                                               Re: Sounds good to meKirk 3/20/04 11:16 a.m.
                       Now, ALL YOU PEOPLE LISTEN HERE!!!Starship Security Officer 3/19/04 8:13 p.m.
                             PARTY PEOPLE RAISE YOUR HANDS IN THE AIRYossarian 3/19/04 8:29 p.m.
                                   You guys are just trying to get me to give up.Starship Security Officer 3/20/04 4:37 a.m.
                                         Re: You guys are just trying to get me to give up.Steve Levinson 3/20/04 5:44 a.m.
                                               Re: You guys are just trying to get me to give up.Adam Ashwell 3/20/04 5:49 a.m.
                                                     Re: You guys are just trying to get me to give up.deathmonger 3/20/04 6:23 a.m.
                                                           Re: You guys are just trying to get me to give up.Adam Ashwell 3/20/04 6:24 a.m.
                                                                 Re: You guys are just trying to get me to give up.Jacke 3/20/04 7:45 a.m.
                                                                       Re: You guys are just trying to get me to give up.Adam Ashwell 3/20/04 9:45 a.m.
                                                                       Re: You guys are just trying to get me to give up.D-M.A. 3/20/04 1:35 p.m.
                                               Re: You guys are just trying to get me to give up.Ernie 3/20/04 3:02 p.m.
                                                     Re: You guys are just trying to get me to give up.Andrew Nagy 3/21/04 4:42 p.m.
                                         Re: You guys are just trying to get me to give up.Little Kago 3/22/04 8:26 p.m.
                                               Except Rubicon. *NM*Andrew Nagy 3/23/04 4:15 a.m.
                 Re: OMG actual constructive criticism!!deathmonger 3/18/04 7:47 p.m.
                 Re: OMG actual constructive criticism!!Yossarian 3/18/04 7:57 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.