/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: OMG actual constructive criticism!!
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 3/18/04 7:07 p.m.

In Response To: Re: OMG actual constructive criticism!! (Starship Security Officer)

: Ok, about the calibre thing. I admit it: I'm a kid. I'm just a kid, just a
: young pre-teen and with not much gun knowledge, the most knowledge I have
: with guns is basically about aiming tactics, which I learn with lowly B-B
: guns and .22 rifles. I'm sorry.

Hey, this forum doesn't discriminate based on age. John Sumner and I are in our 40's, The Battle Cat's in his 50's and a hell-of-a-lot of the regulars are in their teens, but some are still in single digits. Sidoh, the greatest vidmaster ever next to John Sumner, was only 12 when he completed the vidmaster challenge. We all just love this game and what it has come to mean to us. What really makes it pretty obvious to the rest of us that you're a kid is this idea of yours - it's ambitious, it's detailed and it obviously means a lot to you. I think that what some of the others were getting at is that the plot is, well, sorta stale. This doesn't mean it couldn't be a great scenario, but it lacks depth. I might also add that the whole concept of communists as bad guys in a world in ruins has a hollow feel to it. Communists, democrats, fascists, nazis - this all seems pretty irrelevant in a world of anarchy. Who cares about principles when survival is at stake. I think you would much more likely see factions all trying to hang on and to gain dominance in a world where no one can be trusted. Think about it - I think that the plot would be a lot more interesting if you lost the conventional labels for the good guys and the bad guys. The other thing that makes it obvious you're a kid (this one applies to the teens here as well) is the niaivety of thinking you can produce a finished scenario of this magnitude by yourself. Rubicon took one of the best mapmakers ever and one of the best texture artists ever, with some help from a host of other people, 5 years to produce - and these were college guys at the time with first-rate programming skills.

My very strong advice is to start very small, with just a few levels just to learn what mapmaking is all about. No scenario is any good without good maps. By then you will have a better idea of how much work is involved. Equally challenging will be developing your own textures, monsters and weapons sprites. Start with one simple texture set and one new weapon. I estimate that this simple project will take you 6 months to a year. By then you'll know if you really want to set aside several years of your life to work on a project using a game engine that is already nearly a decade old. Not to be discouraging or anything, but most great scenarios are collaborative efforts. Only a few of them were one-person shows.

And while I'm on my soapbox, once again I would like to suggest to the scenario writers in the forum to collaborate. There are so many new scenarios in progress now, few if any of which will see the light of day. The orphanage is already overcrowded. If Chris Lund and Scott Brown could manage to merge two semingly separate stories into a single great scenario, why can't the bunch of you stop working piecemeal and work together. Find common elements and themes and weave the plots, weapons, textures and maps together into a new, seamless continuum. Let's see a few really great scenarios come out of your efforts.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Check this outStarship Security Officer 3/17/04 5:11 p.m.
     Re: Check this outSiphonopho 3/17/04 5:47 p.m.
           Re: Check this outStarship Security Officer 3/17/04 5:50 p.m.
                 Re: Check this outSiphonopho 3/17/04 5:51 p.m.
     Re: Check this outBob-B-Q 3/18/04 4:33 a.m.
           Re: Check this outSteve Levinson 3/18/04 4:46 a.m.
           Re: Check this outJacke 3/18/04 9:08 a.m.
     OMG actual constructive criticism!!Yossarian 3/18/04 9:24 a.m.
           Re: OMG actual constructive criticism!!Adam Ashwell 3/18/04 1:10 p.m.
           Re: OMG actual constructive criticism!!Starship Security Officer 3/18/04 6:33 p.m.
                 Re: OMG actual constructive criticism!!Steve Levinson 3/18/04 7:07 p.m.
                       Re: OMG actual constructive criticism!!Elliott 3/18/04 7:40 p.m.
                       Re: OMG actual constructive criticism!!D-M.A. 3/19/04 12:53 a.m.
                             Re: OMG actual constructive criticism!!Adam Ashwell 3/19/04 11:48 a.m.
                                   Now your're talking!Steve Levinson 3/19/04 1:35 p.m.
                                         Re: Now your're talking!Adam Ashwell 3/19/04 2:12 p.m.
                                               Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/19/04 4:38 p.m.
                                                     Let's Rip It Up!Adam Ashwell 3/19/04 5:08 p.m.
                                                     Re: Now your're talking!Adam Ashwell 3/19/04 5:29 p.m.
                                                     Re: Now your're talking!Elliott 3/19/04 6:02 p.m.
                                                           Re: Now your're talking!Adam Ashwell 3/19/04 6:19 p.m.
                                                                 Hold the happiness people.Yossarian 3/19/04 7:35 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Hold the happiness people.D-M.A. 3/19/04 10:02 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Hold the happiness people.Jacke 3/20/04 1:23 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Hold the happiness people.Adam Ashwell 3/20/04 3:15 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Hold the happiness people.the Battle Cat 3/20/04 8:11 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Hold the happiness people.Adam Ashwell 3/20/04 9:24 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Hold the happiness people.Andrew Nagy 3/20/04 2:52 p.m.
                                                           Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/19/04 10:14 p.m.
                                                     Re: Now your're talking!Andrew Nagy 3/20/04 12:28 p.m.
                                                           Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/20/04 1:21 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Now your're talking!Kirk 3/20/04 1:49 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/21/04 1:24 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Now your're talking!Andrew Nagy 3/20/04 3:01 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Now your're talking!Adam Ashwell 3/20/04 4:16 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/21/04 12:48 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Now your're talking!Adam Ashwell 3/21/04 2:10 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Now your're talking!Kirk 3/21/04 8:14 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: Now your're talking!Yossarian 3/21/04 4:31 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Now your're talking!Andrew Nagy 3/21/04 5:21 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/22/04 1:53 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: Now your're talking!Elliott 3/22/04 9:29 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: Now your're talking!Andrew Nagy 3/22/04 6:46 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Now your're talking!Andrew Nagy 3/22/04 6:53 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/23/04 12:24 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: Now your're talking!Andrew Nagy 3/23/04 4:14 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/23/04 4:38 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Now your're talking!Andrew Nagy 3/23/04 8:10 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/23/04 8:38 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Now your're talking!Adam Ashwell 3/23/04 11:53 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Now your're talking!Andrew Nagy 3/23/04 6:18 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Now your're talking!Adam Ashwell 3/23/04 6:53 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Now your're talking!goran 3/24/04 1:50 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/24/04 2:55 a.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: Now your're talking!Adam Ashwell 3/24/04 11:30 a.m.
                                                                                                                                               Re: Now your're talking!Steve Levinson 3/24/04 11:52 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                     Re: Now your're talking!Andrew Nagy 3/24/04 12:39 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                           Argh...I said "I guess" twice. [no message] *NM*Andrew Nagy 3/24/04 12:40 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                           Re: Now your're talking!Adam Ashwell 3/24/04 12:46 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                           Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/24/04 12:56 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                 Re: Now your're talking!D-M.A. 3/24/04 12:57 p.m.
                                   :ponders:Yossarian 3/19/04 1:46 p.m.
                                         Re: :ponders:Jacke 3/19/04 4:06 p.m.
                                   Sounds good to medeathmonger 3/19/04 6:20 p.m.
                                         Re: Sounds good to meAdam Ashwell 3/19/04 6:37 p.m.
                                               Re: Sounds good to meKirk 3/20/04 11:16 a.m.
                       Now, ALL YOU PEOPLE LISTEN HERE!!!Starship Security Officer 3/19/04 8:13 p.m.
                             PARTY PEOPLE RAISE YOUR HANDS IN THE AIRYossarian 3/19/04 8:29 p.m.
                                   You guys are just trying to get me to give up.Starship Security Officer 3/20/04 4:37 a.m.
                                         Re: You guys are just trying to get me to give up.Steve Levinson 3/20/04 5:44 a.m.
                                               Re: You guys are just trying to get me to give up.Adam Ashwell 3/20/04 5:49 a.m.
                                                     Re: You guys are just trying to get me to give up.deathmonger 3/20/04 6:23 a.m.
                                                           Re: You guys are just trying to get me to give up.Adam Ashwell 3/20/04 6:24 a.m.
                                                                 Re: You guys are just trying to get me to give up.Jacke 3/20/04 7:45 a.m.
                                                                       Re: You guys are just trying to get me to give up.Adam Ashwell 3/20/04 9:45 a.m.
                                                                       Re: You guys are just trying to get me to give up.D-M.A. 3/20/04 1:35 p.m.
                                               Re: You guys are just trying to get me to give up.Ernie 3/20/04 3:02 p.m.
                                                     Re: You guys are just trying to get me to give up.Andrew Nagy 3/21/04 4:42 p.m.
                                         Re: You guys are just trying to get me to give up.Little Kago 3/22/04 8:26 p.m.
                                               Except Rubicon. *NM*Andrew Nagy 3/23/04 4:15 a.m.
                 Re: OMG actual constructive criticism!!deathmonger 3/18/04 7:47 p.m.
                 Re: OMG actual constructive criticism!!Yossarian 3/18/04 7:57 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.