Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: "She said that to me once..." *SP*
Posted By: QuirelDate: 12/5/12 6:07 a.m.

In Response To: Re: "She said that to me once..." *SP* (Archilen)

: It's probably not meant to be propaganda, just another case of a writer not
: getting what the Spartan-IIs are all about.

Well, yes, but I prefer to theorize explanations that will bridge disparate parts of Halo canon... like a retcon should.
Query whether "It's just propaganda" actually does this. = /

: Explaining it as an ONI
: cover-up would make a lot more sense, but I doubt that was the writer's
: intent.

Not really.
"She settled down to raise a family" probably wouldn't fly with anyone who was familiar with the Spartan program.

: While it may theoretically be possible for them, the idea of a Spartan
: retiring goes against everything we know about their training; they're
: supposed to be completely and utterly devoted to the UNSC and have little
: in the way of personal lives. That one of the last Spartans (where was she
: during Reach anyway?) would suddenly abandon the military, at the brink of
: human extinction no less, is absolutely ludicrous.

Which is why the propaganda explanation works so well: Second Sunrise Over New Mombassa. Even in last days of the Human-Covenant war, ONI was pumping out propaganda depicting the war as more... adventuresome. The Covenant aren't all that fearsome, and we certainly aren't fighting in our own living room, so to speak.

Now, back to Armor Testing. Even if we know that the idea of a Spartan retiring to raise a family is bogus, we're still arguing over how it could be true. We've internalized the propaganda, accepted it at face value, and are thinking along the lines that ONI wants us to think.

And for my next trick, I'll be pointing out cue marks that you thought were a trick of your eyes.

Message Index

Replies:

"She said that to me once..." *SP*Urban Reflex 12/4/12 5:53 p.m.
     Re: "She said that to me once..." *SP*uberfoop 12/4/12 6:07 p.m.
     SO VERY well said!Mid7night 12/4/12 6:09 p.m.
     Say what you will about the campaignpadraig08 12/4/12 6:42 p.m.
           Re: Say what you will about the campaignArchilen 12/4/12 11:57 p.m.
                 Re: Say what you will about the campaignmc_leprechaun 12/5/12 6:20 a.m.
                 Re: Say what you will about the campaignLeisandir 12/5/12 8:44 a.m.
                       Re: Say what you will about the campaignPeter Dolan 12/5/12 11:42 a.m.
     Re: "She said that to me once..." *SP*SIX min WHISTLE 12/4/12 10:19 p.m.
           Re: "She said that to me once..." *SP*Archilen 12/4/12 11:53 p.m.
                 Re: "She said that to me once..." *SP*SIX min WHISTLE 12/5/12 12:51 a.m.
                       Re: "She said that to me once..." *SP*Quirel 12/5/12 1:20 a.m.
                             Re: "She said that to me once..." *SP*Hawki 12/5/12 4:10 a.m.
                                   Re: "She said that to me once..." *SP*Archilen 12/5/12 5:34 a.m.
                                         Re: "She said that to me once..." *SP*Hawki 12/5/12 5:42 a.m.
                                         Re: "She said that to me once..." *SP*Quirel 12/5/12 6:07 a.m.
                                               Re: "She said that to me once..." *SP*SonofMacPhisto 12/5/12 8:02 a.m.
                                   Re: "She said that to me once..." *SP*Quirel 12/5/12 5:44 a.m.
     "In another time, I would have called him friend."Dervish 12/5/12 3:00 p.m.
           Re: "In another time, I would have called him frieMetalingus627 12/5/12 4:18 p.m.
                 Re: "In another time, I would have called him frieUrban Reflex 12/5/12 5:06 p.m.
                       Re: "In another time, I would have called him frieMetalingus627 12/5/12 7:11 p.m.
                 Re: "In another time, I would have called him frieDervish 12/5/12 9:55 p.m.
           Re: "In another time, I would have called him frieUrban Reflex 12/5/12 5:20 p.m.
                 Re: "In another time, I would have called him frieLeisandir 12/5/12 5:36 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.