Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: "In another time, I would have called him frie
Posted By: Leisandir <joecooperstein@hotmail.com>Date: 12/5/12 5:36 p.m.

In Response To: Re: "In another time, I would have called him frie (Urban Reflex)

: I think you nailed it when you spoke of their differences. I think the
: Arbiter is too alien for the Chief to properly... "get used to".
: I think that he respects him as a warrior, and relates to him through
: shared experiences, but because of Thel's history I don't think the Chief
: could ever call him a friend.

: The Arbiter led a campaign of genocide against the humans, killing millions
: in blind faith. John strikes me as the sort to not forgive the Covenant so
: easily for what they have done, and so he is wary of the Arbiter.
: Untrusting. He has been the enemy for so long and done unthinkable things
: to John's fellow man.

: Arby became useful for a time; their goals aligned and so John could use him
: as a means to an end. Like I say, there was respect, but I don't think
: there was more than that.

: I would love to get another book about the Chief, following him on some
: adventure now without Cortana, exploring his thoughts and feelings. You
: would not trust this task to just any author though, it would have to be
: Nylund.

Why do we worship Nylund? His character for the Chief was completely empty. Hell, none of his characters graduated beyond "flat stereotype to push the history forward." Fall of Reach would've been better as a timeline than a novel.

Ugh, anyway: The Master Chief was forged to be a blind human killing automoton, striking down adversaries of a questionably ethical government. By coincidence, he became the savior of humanity and fought the Covenant, but he and his ilk had their share of human killing. The difference between the Chief and the Arbiter is an order of magnitude and circumstance: if the Chief had been a starship commander and if he had been ordered to bombard cities that harbored Insurrectionists, his younger self would have done so without hesitation. Both he and the Arbiter have had fairly drastic character shifts. You'll notice that the Chief says his job is to protect Humanity and not to protect the UNSC? If he's ordered to go after Innies, I think he'll refuse. I think he recognizes the change the Arbiter has undergone and I think they've formed a bond through common experience, both the battles they fought together and the ways in which their eyes were opened.

I don't think the Arbiter will be killed off in a novel. He's too important for that, but he's also a politician now, which means the likelihood of him joining the battlefield is pretty low. I hope we'll see him in game, both because he has a kickass voice actor and because he's got a lot to contribute to the narrative.

Message Index

Replies:

"She said that to me once..." *SP*Urban Reflex 12/4/12 5:53 p.m.
     Re: "She said that to me once..." *SP*uberfoop 12/4/12 6:07 p.m.
     SO VERY well said!Mid7night 12/4/12 6:09 p.m.
     Say what you will about the campaignpadraig08 12/4/12 6:42 p.m.
           Re: Say what you will about the campaignArchilen 12/4/12 11:57 p.m.
                 Re: Say what you will about the campaignmc_leprechaun 12/5/12 6:20 a.m.
                 Re: Say what you will about the campaignLeisandir 12/5/12 8:44 a.m.
                       Re: Say what you will about the campaignPeter Dolan 12/5/12 11:42 a.m.
     Re: "She said that to me once..." *SP*SIX min WHISTLE 12/4/12 10:19 p.m.
           Re: "She said that to me once..." *SP*Archilen 12/4/12 11:53 p.m.
                 Re: "She said that to me once..." *SP*SIX min WHISTLE 12/5/12 12:51 a.m.
                       Re: "She said that to me once..." *SP*Quirel 12/5/12 1:20 a.m.
                             Re: "She said that to me once..." *SP*Hawki 12/5/12 4:10 a.m.
                                   Re: "She said that to me once..." *SP*Archilen 12/5/12 5:34 a.m.
                                         Re: "She said that to me once..." *SP*Hawki 12/5/12 5:42 a.m.
                                         Re: "She said that to me once..." *SP*Quirel 12/5/12 6:07 a.m.
                                               Re: "She said that to me once..." *SP*SonofMacPhisto 12/5/12 8:02 a.m.
                                   Re: "She said that to me once..." *SP*Quirel 12/5/12 5:44 a.m.
     "In another time, I would have called him friend."Dervish 12/5/12 3:00 p.m.
           Re: "In another time, I would have called him frieMetalingus627 12/5/12 4:18 p.m.
                 Re: "In another time, I would have called him frieUrban Reflex 12/5/12 5:06 p.m.
                       Re: "In another time, I would have called him frieMetalingus627 12/5/12 7:11 p.m.
                 Re: "In another time, I would have called him frieDervish 12/5/12 9:55 p.m.
           Re: "In another time, I would have called him frieUrban Reflex 12/5/12 5:20 p.m.
                 Re: "In another time, I would have called him frieLeisandir 12/5/12 5:36 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.