Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Say what you will about the campaign
Posted By: Peter Dolan <pdolanlc@gmail.com>Date: 12/5/12 11:42 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Say what you will about the campaign (Leisandir)

: The line is awkward, this is true, but I think that's why I like it. When you
: take him out of the fight, John's still a six year old. It seems like the
: kind of thing a six year old would say.

I think it shows that he really isn't just a machine: he had been ruminating over this very point since she first said it. Lasky sparked a memory, a memory of an unresolved existential question, "who am I?" It's one of those questions we all have to ask ourselves at some point, and it is the question that gives meaning to our lives.

John's never really known. He knows what he does, but WHO he really is seems a mystery not just to us, but also to him. The answer has profound implications for all that he has done and believed up until then, and for how he goes forward from here.

I find it poignant that he carries the memory of a comment made in the past that made him really look at himself; only humans have this ability of self reflection, of looking at ourselves. It is uniquely human, and here we see just how human he is...even if some would say he is broken, he is still human.

Philosophy of Halo

Message Index

Replies:

"She said that to me once..." *SP*Urban Reflex 12/4/12 5:53 p.m.
     Re: "She said that to me once..." *SP*uberfoop 12/4/12 6:07 p.m.
     SO VERY well said!Mid7night 12/4/12 6:09 p.m.
     Say what you will about the campaignpadraig08 12/4/12 6:42 p.m.
           Re: Say what you will about the campaignArchilen 12/4/12 11:57 p.m.
                 Re: Say what you will about the campaignmc_leprechaun 12/5/12 6:20 a.m.
                 Re: Say what you will about the campaignLeisandir 12/5/12 8:44 a.m.
                       Re: Say what you will about the campaignPeter Dolan 12/5/12 11:42 a.m.
     Re: "She said that to me once..." *SP*SIX min WHISTLE 12/4/12 10:19 p.m.
           Re: "She said that to me once..." *SP*Archilen 12/4/12 11:53 p.m.
                 Re: "She said that to me once..." *SP*SIX min WHISTLE 12/5/12 12:51 a.m.
                       Re: "She said that to me once..." *SP*Quirel 12/5/12 1:20 a.m.
                             Re: "She said that to me once..." *SP*Hawki 12/5/12 4:10 a.m.
                                   Re: "She said that to me once..." *SP*Archilen 12/5/12 5:34 a.m.
                                         Re: "She said that to me once..." *SP*Hawki 12/5/12 5:42 a.m.
                                         Re: "She said that to me once..." *SP*Quirel 12/5/12 6:07 a.m.
                                               Re: "She said that to me once..." *SP*SonofMacPhisto 12/5/12 8:02 a.m.
                                   Re: "She said that to me once..." *SP*Quirel 12/5/12 5:44 a.m.
     "In another time, I would have called him friend."Dervish 12/5/12 3:00 p.m.
           Re: "In another time, I would have called him frieMetalingus627 12/5/12 4:18 p.m.
                 Re: "In another time, I would have called him frieUrban Reflex 12/5/12 5:06 p.m.
                       Re: "In another time, I would have called him frieMetalingus627 12/5/12 7:11 p.m.
                 Re: "In another time, I would have called him frieDervish 12/5/12 9:55 p.m.
           Re: "In another time, I would have called him frieUrban Reflex 12/5/12 5:20 p.m.
                 Re: "In another time, I would have called him frieLeisandir 12/5/12 5:36 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.