Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Yes, it is.
Posted By: Narcogen <narcogen@rampancy.net>Date: 10/16/08 2:53 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Yes, it is. (Bry)

: Which is exactly why I like it when we get proper official sources.

: Wow, that's a great big chunk you quoted there and I don't really know which
: bit of it your specifically referring to...

I meant the last bit-- the identity of the company that designed and manufactured pods.

Is knowing that really important? What do you gain by knowing it? What do you gain by moving the source of such information, whatever it might be, into canon if it is currently a questionable source?

My point is that the Haloverse is not, necessarily, enriched simply by increasing the quantity of information we have about it. (It can be, but it isn't *necessarily*.)

: Still... what is Halo about..? I am intriqued of what you might mean there.

I mean that Halo is a narrative work, and as such, has a subject. It is about something. It is not merely a collection of facts and details. The details serve the subject, not the other way around. Some details are more relevant and useful for a deeper understanding of the entire work, and some are less so.

: Can we not have a desire to learn more about certain aspects that are hinted
: at but never fleshed out when they have a specific appeal to us?
: ...Hmm, this could be long...

Certainly you can, but there's a delineation that I think can be made between information and trivia.

: Let me clarify to a degree what I am talking about.
: Remember those articles Bungie did that went into detail about the weapons?
: Or the Warthog too for that matter?
: We got information like the manufacturers name, the unit cost (one M9 HE-DP
: Grenade, that'd be 30 UNSC credits please), some real geeky technical
: details which most people probably don't care about.

Those have direct relevance. Halo is an FPS. You are shooting things. That information was background related directly to how you interact with the the world-- by shooting at it. While some of the information may not directly impact that experience-- it may not change how you play, and it may not be directly represented in how the in-game assets behave, it does in some way enrich the experience in a way that is relevant to what you're doing, even if it is on a fairly surface level.

The pod reference I think is much less relevant-- they are rarely used or seen in the game, they are not interactive at all, and the company and characters involved in their design and construction have no role in the story. It's trivia.

: And personally, I find some of that interesting and I'd certainly say its
: learning about the background universe.
: Something like that for everything in the UNSC inventory would be something
: nice to have IMO.
: I'd especially like to know a lot more about the Pelican, Longsword, Seraph
: and Phantom.
: There is precedent in other words.

: Perhaps some of my topics of interest in Halo are not what Halo 'is all
: about', but I enjoy it, am interested and find it entertaining.
: Is that not what matters at the end of the day?

To you, yes. However many other discussions revolve around the story, its significance, and how past events in the fictional universe may be used to understand current events in that universe and perhaps even predict future ones. Trivia are generally not helpful in this area, and polluting canon solely for the purpose of dragging in additional sources of trivia can make it more difficult to actually understand Halo's story and its significant elements.

: Anyways, I guess it just isn't as simple for me to look at Halo references as
: it used to be.

: I increasingly looking to the novels as more like a secondary canon source. I
: found myself increasingly less trusting of them, with the exception of
: Contact Harvest because it is quite literally from the horses mouth (No
: offence Mr Staten!).

No argument there.

: Then this little post cropped up... actually, I should have reminded us of
: this earlier since its pretty relevant to the topic and its from our good
: friend and trusted beacon of guidance, Joe Staten himself:
: http://forums.bungie.org/halo/archive28.pl?read=847640

: Joe really changed a lot of how I look at the Haloverse with that simple
: post, and not just because he was replying to me, though that certainly
: made me kind of giddy at the time.
: It introduced a lot of doubt to me.

My attitude towards the levels of canon are taken DIRECTLY from that post of Joe's.

: I began questioning all kinds of things in the novels or older games
: thinking; "Is this still relevant? Is it now inaccurate?"
: BTW, Joe also pretty much says ILB is, in theory, canonical there, Bungie did
: approve its creation after all.

I think you just dragged in a completely different meaning of "approved" than what Staten intended there. Bungie supplied backstory materials for the creation of ILB, and "approved" of its creation. If memory serves, they did not "approve" the final product-- they did not review the completed audio drama after its creation and before its publication-- they were in Halo 2 crunch at the time. The rough outline of the story then, yes. How things were portrayed, its style, the audio performances-- I don't believe Bungie had review of those.

: But its waaay way way down on the list of canonical influence.
: I personally probably wouldn't make reference to it at all given its
: controversial history already.

It is of limited use in any case, and is likely only to mislead you about something significant, or reveal something insignificant.

Keep It Clean Teaser - Frame By Frame

Message Index

Replies:

H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Bryan Ojeda 10/12/08 12:16 p.m.
     Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Vincent 10/12/08 12:24 p.m.
     Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Dave Bergland 10/12/08 12:26 p.m.
           Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"XMixMasterX 10/12/08 12:43 p.m.
                 Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Bryan Ojeda 10/12/08 12:47 p.m.
                       Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"The More Deluded 10/12/08 12:55 p.m.
                       Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Bry 10/12/08 1:19 p.m.
                 Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Zerowind117 10/12/08 10:33 p.m.
           Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"elpolloguapo 10/12/08 7:23 p.m.
     Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"343winks. 10/12/08 12:54 p.m.
           Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"The More Deluded 10/12/08 12:57 p.m.
                 Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Bryan Ojeda 10/12/08 12:58 p.m.
                 Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"XMixMasterX 10/12/08 1:00 p.m.
                       Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"free 10/12/08 1:08 p.m.
                             Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"343winks. 10/12/08 1:34 p.m.
                                   Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"The More Deluded 10/12/08 2:27 p.m.
                                         erm.. ie differences in accuracy, damage etc. *NM*The More Deluded 10/12/08 2:27 p.m.
                                   Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Rosco-128 10/12/08 3:49 p.m.
                                         Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Bryan Ojeda 10/12/08 6:10 p.m.
                                         Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Cthulhu117 10/12/08 6:12 p.m.
                                         Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"343winks. 10/13/08 4:10 a.m.
                                               Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"vlad3163 10/13/08 4:59 a.m.
                                                     Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"343winks. 10/13/08 5:35 a.m.
                                                           Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Cthulhu117 10/13/08 6:22 a.m.
                                                                 Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Rosco-128 10/13/08 6:29 a.m.
                                                                       It's not. *NM*UNSC_Trooper 10/13/08 10:33 a.m.
                                                                             Yes, it is.Cthulhu117 10/13/08 2:18 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Yes, it is.UNSC_Trooper 10/14/08 8:18 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: Yes, it is.My7hos 10/14/08 8:37 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: Yes, it is.UNSC_Trooper 10/14/08 8:45 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: Yes, it is.Louis Wu 10/14/08 8:47 a.m.
                                                                                               My take.My7hos 10/14/08 9:06 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: My take.Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 10/14/08 9:31 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: My take.My7hos 10/14/08 1:49 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Yes, it is.UNSC_Trooper 10/14/08 9:09 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Yes, it is.Louis Wu 10/14/08 9:47 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Yes, it is.UNSC_Trooper 10/14/08 10:26 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Yes, it is.Louis Wu 10/14/08 11:08 a.m.
                                                                                                                       You know if I was a Bungie employee...Leviathan 10/14/08 6:17 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: You know if I was a Bungie employee...Bryan Ojeda 10/14/08 9:59 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Yes, it is.Narcogen 10/15/08 12:15 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: Yes, it is.Narcogen 10/15/08 12:06 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Yes, it is.free 10/15/08 1:30 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Yes, it is.Narcogen 10/15/08 4:20 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Yes, it is.Bry 10/15/08 3:55 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Yes, it is.Narcogen 10/15/08 4:25 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Yes, it is.Bry 10/15/08 5:04 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Yes, it is.Narcogen 10/15/08 7:09 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Yes, it is.Bry 10/15/08 10:50 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Yes, it is.My7hos 10/15/08 11:00 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Yes, it is.Narcogen 10/16/08 2:53 a.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: Yes, it is.Bry 10/16/08 3:54 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Yes, it is.Sep7imus [subnova] 10/15/08 6:35 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Yes, it is.Narcogen 10/16/08 3:18 a.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: Yes, it is.Sep7imus [subnova] 10/16/08 6:33 a.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: Yes, it is.free 10/16/08 3:55 p.m.
                                                                                                                                               Re: Yes, it is.Bry 10/16/08 5:07 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                     Re: Yes, it is.free 10/16/08 6:12 p.m.
                                                                                                     I wish I could quit youJillybean 10/15/08 7:43 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: I wish I could quit youNarcogen 10/15/08 10:08 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: I wish I could quit youMy7hos 10/15/08 10:52 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Leave the Cortana Letters out of this.Louis Wu 10/15/08 11:12 a.m.
                                                                                                                             You missed my meaning...My7hos 10/15/08 11:17 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Sgt JohnsonMiguel Chavez 10/15/08 12:36 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Sgt JohnsonSep7imus [subnova] 10/15/08 3:40 p.m.
                                                                                                                             ditto *NM*Jillybean 10/15/08 6:07 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Sgt JohnsonStephen L. (SoundEffect) 10/15/08 6:02 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Sgt JohnsonBry 10/16/08 2:36 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Sgt JohnsonNarcogen 10/16/08 3:30 a.m.
                                                                 Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"UNSC_Trooper 10/13/08 10:38 a.m.
                                                                       Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Vincent 10/13/08 12:07 p.m.
                                                           Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Rosco-128 10/13/08 6:26 a.m.
                                                           Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Devil Mingy 10/13/08 6:28 a.m.
                                                                 Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"vlad3163 10/13/08 8:32 p.m.
                                                           Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"elpolloguapo 10/14/08 9:08 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.