Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Yes, it is.
Posted By: Narcogen <narcogen@rampancy.net>Date: 10/15/08 7:09 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Yes, it is. (Bry)

: Its a potential reason. =P
: Honestly, I disagree that getting a bit of in-depth background info ruins
: anything, but that's me.

Well it's all hypothetical anyway, so putting in the "potential" qualifier isn't really necessary. Any reason one could also list in favor of publishing it is also just a "potential" reason also.

: I suppose what it comes down to is where you personally find the most fun.
: Is it learning about a universe, or is it creating your own personal
: interpretation of that universe through little scraps of info.
: That's purely a personal choice and opinion.
: For someone like yourself with rampancy.net, I'd say its pretty clear you are
: in the latter category.
: Me, I tend to be more in the former.

Actually I'd have described it in the opposite way.

You can't call ILB a source of learning about the universe before first accepting it as an authoritative source on that universe. Otherwise, fan fiction would also be "learning" about that universe. Certainly there's a spectrum here but to be honest I'd put ILB closer to the fan fiction end of the scale than, say, the games, which are primary sources.

I also like learning things about the Haloverse. But it's not learning unless the information is true, otherwise I could just make it up. That's also fun. That's what fan fiction writers and fan fiction readers do, and they enjoy it.

: Though I'm quite capable of creating my own ideas and interpretations.
: Indeed, I believe anyone would struggle to be a fan of the Halo lore if they
: couldn't.
: But that doesn't mean I'm especially delighted to, in-part because I know I'm
: capable of becoming too attached to what, at the end of the day, are
: little more than my own ideas.
: ...even if I do have a tiny following of two wonderful friends who seem to
: like them.
: *ahem*
: Still, I'm ready to let go of my ideas when I have to.

: You know, I really love his articles which do give us some insights and
: specs.
: I respect him tremendously, however its exactly what I was just saying.
: They still have a basis in personal speculation and interpretation like so
: much of the Halo lore. There are aspects which can't exactly be treated as
: canon.
: And as much fun as that can be... or at least as fun as it was, it'd be nice
: to have something solid.
: Nor can he tell us, for example, what company designed and manufactured an
: ODST HEV pod.

What, exactly, do you gain from that? Is that what Halo is about? Is that really learning?

: The comments I had with him the other day about the ODST's only emphasise
: that to me all the more.
: I'm becoming just a little weary of personal ideas and speculation, fanon as
: it were, being treated as if they are already canon and the endless loops
: we go in to try and make every last word in a novel fit with everything
: else in the universe when every single minute scratching our heads could
: be completely wrong. Yet we still manage to argue.

I agree, but I am not sure the answer to that is official canon answers to these kinds of minutiae. I think the reasonable response is, to paraphrase Adams, rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty :)

: Rather than an arguement or debate every five minutes on what is right or
: what isn't (when it should be what could be right and what might not
: be right), it'd be nice to have a nice group of us actually agree for
: once, because the answer has been officially clarified right there.

Wasn't there a project to try and determine at least a fan consensus on canonicity of facts?

Keep It Clean Teaser - Frame By Frame

Message Index

Replies:

H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Bryan Ojeda 10/12/08 12:16 p.m.
     Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Vincent 10/12/08 12:24 p.m.
     Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Dave Bergland 10/12/08 12:26 p.m.
           Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"XMixMasterX 10/12/08 12:43 p.m.
                 Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Bryan Ojeda 10/12/08 12:47 p.m.
                       Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"The More Deluded 10/12/08 12:55 p.m.
                       Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Bry 10/12/08 1:19 p.m.
                 Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Zerowind117 10/12/08 10:33 p.m.
           Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"elpolloguapo 10/12/08 7:23 p.m.
     Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"343winks. 10/12/08 12:54 p.m.
           Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"The More Deluded 10/12/08 12:57 p.m.
                 Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Bryan Ojeda 10/12/08 12:58 p.m.
                 Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"XMixMasterX 10/12/08 1:00 p.m.
                       Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"free 10/12/08 1:08 p.m.
                             Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"343winks. 10/12/08 1:34 p.m.
                                   Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"The More Deluded 10/12/08 2:27 p.m.
                                         erm.. ie differences in accuracy, damage etc. *NM*The More Deluded 10/12/08 2:27 p.m.
                                   Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Rosco-128 10/12/08 3:49 p.m.
                                         Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Bryan Ojeda 10/12/08 6:10 p.m.
                                         Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Cthulhu117 10/12/08 6:12 p.m.
                                         Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"343winks. 10/13/08 4:10 a.m.
                                               Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"vlad3163 10/13/08 4:59 a.m.
                                                     Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"343winks. 10/13/08 5:35 a.m.
                                                           Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Cthulhu117 10/13/08 6:22 a.m.
                                                                 Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Rosco-128 10/13/08 6:29 a.m.
                                                                       It's not. *NM*UNSC_Trooper 10/13/08 10:33 a.m.
                                                                             Yes, it is.Cthulhu117 10/13/08 2:18 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Yes, it is.UNSC_Trooper 10/14/08 8:18 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: Yes, it is.My7hos 10/14/08 8:37 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: Yes, it is.UNSC_Trooper 10/14/08 8:45 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: Yes, it is.Louis Wu 10/14/08 8:47 a.m.
                                                                                               My take.My7hos 10/14/08 9:06 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: My take.Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 10/14/08 9:31 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: My take.My7hos 10/14/08 1:49 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Yes, it is.UNSC_Trooper 10/14/08 9:09 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Yes, it is.Louis Wu 10/14/08 9:47 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Yes, it is.UNSC_Trooper 10/14/08 10:26 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Yes, it is.Louis Wu 10/14/08 11:08 a.m.
                                                                                                                       You know if I was a Bungie employee...Leviathan 10/14/08 6:17 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: You know if I was a Bungie employee...Bryan Ojeda 10/14/08 9:59 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Yes, it is.Narcogen 10/15/08 12:15 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: Yes, it is.Narcogen 10/15/08 12:06 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Yes, it is.free 10/15/08 1:30 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Yes, it is.Narcogen 10/15/08 4:20 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Yes, it is.Bry 10/15/08 3:55 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Yes, it is.Narcogen 10/15/08 4:25 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Yes, it is.Bry 10/15/08 5:04 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Yes, it is.Narcogen 10/15/08 7:09 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Yes, it is.Bry 10/15/08 10:50 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Yes, it is.My7hos 10/15/08 11:00 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Yes, it is.Narcogen 10/16/08 2:53 a.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: Yes, it is.Bry 10/16/08 3:54 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Yes, it is.Sep7imus [subnova] 10/15/08 6:35 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Yes, it is.Narcogen 10/16/08 3:18 a.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: Yes, it is.Sep7imus [subnova] 10/16/08 6:33 a.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: Yes, it is.free 10/16/08 3:55 p.m.
                                                                                                                                               Re: Yes, it is.Bry 10/16/08 5:07 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                     Re: Yes, it is.free 10/16/08 6:12 p.m.
                                                                                                     I wish I could quit youJillybean 10/15/08 7:43 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: I wish I could quit youNarcogen 10/15/08 10:08 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: I wish I could quit youMy7hos 10/15/08 10:52 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Leave the Cortana Letters out of this.Louis Wu 10/15/08 11:12 a.m.
                                                                                                                             You missed my meaning...My7hos 10/15/08 11:17 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Sgt JohnsonMiguel Chavez 10/15/08 12:36 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Sgt JohnsonSep7imus [subnova] 10/15/08 3:40 p.m.
                                                                                                                             ditto *NM*Jillybean 10/15/08 6:07 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Sgt JohnsonStephen L. (SoundEffect) 10/15/08 6:02 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Sgt JohnsonBry 10/16/08 2:36 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Sgt JohnsonNarcogen 10/16/08 3:30 a.m.
                                                                 Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"UNSC_Trooper 10/13/08 10:38 a.m.
                                                                       Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Vincent 10/13/08 12:07 p.m.
                                                           Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Rosco-128 10/13/08 6:26 a.m.
                                                           Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"Devil Mingy 10/13/08 6:28 a.m.
                                                                 Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"vlad3163 10/13/08 8:32 p.m.
                                                           Re: H3:R "Dual Wielding?"elpolloguapo 10/14/08 9:08 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.