Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: For Tim Jones
Posted By: Tim Jones <tim.jones@ehsbrann.com>Date: 2/10/03 8:43 a.m.

In Response To: For Tim Jones (Killercow)

: No one has found holes in this theory yet, can you please read it and see if
: it has holes?

Gee...thanks for the recognition! (I’ve only done about 10 posts ever)

Good work. No obvious flaws that I can see. A kind of Marathon in reverse?...and importantly doesnt contradict any of my ideas either! :)

Maybe if we keep trying we can connect all the theories together into a single workable plot!

I totally agree that the comment from Cortana about “Halo not being a cudgel” refers to the way in which it stops the Flood (ie. not a destructive force like the supernova post), it has some subtle way of subduing the Flood - but it is connected with starving it by removing its food.

CORTANA: “You have no idea how this ring works, do you? Why the forerunners built it? Halo doesn't kill flood, it kills their food. Humans, covenant, whatever. We're all equally edible. The only way to stop the flood is to starve them to death. And that's exactly what Halo is designed to do”

But if the only way to stop the Flood is by removing its food, then surely the Flood is destined to die anyway? Presumably once the Flood has absorped/mutated/eaten (delete as applicable) everything in the universe, then it will no longer be able to find food (unless it is cannibalistic?). So the result of firing or not firing the Halo(s) would be the same - at best it simply accelarates the process.

Excuse me while I think aloud for a moment...

If you were an all powerful sentient lifeform in the galaxy and you realised that one way or another the Flood would destroy all sentient life, then how would you weigh the options? You have the choice of destroying everything yourself, or waiting till the Flood does it anyway. The only reason for choosing to do it yourself would be if it meant that you could somehow survive it.

Does this mean that the Halo protects as well as destroys? It must do because the Flood still live. If the Flood could survive the firing of the Halo (its apparent intended target), then surely it must follow that other species (more deserving) could have survived also - at the very least this should include the Forerunner.

The Flood survived because they were on the Halo, if any other life were to be spared (presumably the whole reason destroying the Flood) for then it follows that it too must be kept on (a) Halo. Perhaps this is why the containment area is referred to as a “Library”, it contains (or contained) many other species - the index would then logically be some kind of complete reference (potentially including DNA information).

Now we have a reason for the similar markings on Forerunner and Covenant equipment and the religeous significance of the Halo to the Covenant - it may have saved their entire species in the past!

...hmmmm...still some questions though:

1) How were the Flood kept alive on the Halo? (they must have suitable food!)

2) What is the reason for the Covenant declaring some holy war of eradication on humanity?

Tim

Message Index

Replies:

How Halo Works!!!!! (im really onto something)Killercow 1/30/03 9:36 p.m.
     Re: How Halo Works!!!!! (im really onto something)Millie 1/30/03 9:46 p.m.
           Re: How Halo Works!!!!! (im really onto something)Killercow 1/30/03 9:50 p.m.
           Re: How Halo Works!!!!! (im really onto something)Wilshire 1/30/03 10:01 p.m.
                 Re: How Halo Works!!!!! (im really onto something)Mutti 1/30/03 10:04 p.m.
     Re: How Halo Works!!!!! (im really onto something)Wilshire 1/30/03 9:49 p.m.
     Re: How Halo Works!!!!! (im really onto something)NJ_HitMan 1/30/03 9:51 p.m.
           Re: How Halo Works!!!!! (im really onto something)Mutti 1/30/03 9:55 p.m.
           Re: How Halo Works!!!!! (im really onto something)Killercow 1/30/03 9:56 p.m.
     Re: How Halo Works!!!!! (im really onto something)Miguel Chavez 1/30/03 10:08 p.m.
     Maybe, but I say ITS A BIG MICROWAVE OVENHalosniper462 1/30/03 10:16 p.m.
           Re: Maybe, but I say ITS A BIG MICROWAVE OVENHalosniper462 1/30/03 10:29 p.m.
                 Re: Maybe, but I say ITS A BIG Gamma-ray OVENWado SG 1/31/03 12:14 a.m.
     Re: How Halo Works!!!!! (im really onto something)Major Tom 1/30/03 10:29 p.m.
           Re: How Halo Works!!!!! (im really onto something)Killercow 1/31/03 3:30 p.m.
     I think you may be thinking too literallyPanZer 1/30/03 11:36 p.m.
           Re: I think you may be thinking too literallyLouis Wu 1/31/03 8:13 a.m.
           Re: I think you may be thinking too literallyKillercow 1/31/03 3:33 p.m.
     Also, forgot this.PanZer 1/30/03 11:47 p.m.
           Re: Also, forgot this.Killercow 1/31/03 3:42 p.m.
     Re: How Halo Works!!!!! (im really onto something)mnemesis 1/31/03 1:39 a.m.
     Re: How Halo Works!!!!! (im really onto something)Louis Wu 1/31/03 8:11 a.m.
           Re: How Halo Works!!!!! (im really onto something)Warbow 1/31/03 8:19 a.m.
                 Re: How Halo Works!!!!! (im really onto something)Louis Wu 1/31/03 8:37 a.m.
                       Re: How Halo Works!!!!! (im really onto something)Warbow 1/31/03 8:39 a.m.
                             Re: How Halo Works!!!!! (im really onto something)CYBRFRK 1/31/03 8:52 a.m.
                                   Re: How Halo Works!!!!! (im really onto something)Louis Wu 1/31/03 9:26 a.m.
                                         oh good god... *NM*oddworld18 1/31/03 10:27 a.m.
                                         Re: How Halo Works!!!!! (im really onto something)mnemesis 1/31/03 12:35 p.m.
                                               Re: How Halo Works!!!!! (im really onto something)Louis Wu 1/31/03 12:45 p.m.
                                                     Re: How Halo Works!!!!! (im really onto something)mnemesis 1/31/03 1:23 p.m.
                       Re: How Halo Works!!!!! (im really onto something)Red Loser 1/31/03 1:45 p.m.
           Re: How Halo Works!!!!! (im really onto something)Wado SG 1/31/03 11:11 a.m.
           Re: How Halo Works!!!!! (im really onto something)Killercow 1/31/03 3:47 p.m.
     Re: How Halo Works!!!!! (im really onto something)Orome 1/31/03 11:16 a.m.
           Re: How Halo Works!!!!! (im really onto something)Killercow 1/31/03 3:49 p.m.
     Re: How Halo Works!!!!! (im really onto something)CD579 2/2/03 4:12 a.m.
           Re: How Halo Works!!!!! (im really onto something)silvos 2/2/03 1:53 p.m.
     For Barkbat and Shiska...Killercow 2/2/03 6:13 p.m.
           Re: For Barkbat and Shiska...PanZer 2/2/03 6:26 p.m.
                 Re: For Barkbat and Shiska...Killercow 2/2/03 9:08 p.m.
           For Tim JonesKillercow 2/2/03 9:10 p.m.
                 Re: For Tim JonesTim Jones 2/10/03 8:43 a.m.
                       Re: For Tim JonesKillercow 2/10/03 9:48 a.m.
           For Killercow -- Kinda longopie301 2/2/03 11:05 p.m.
                 Re: For Killercow -- Kinda longKillercow 2/3/03 9:29 p.m.
                       Re: For Killercow -- Kinda longPanZer 2/4/03 12:15 a.m.
                             Re: For Killercow -- Kinda longKillercow 2/8/03 10:17 p.m.
     Re: How Halo Works!!!!! (im really onto something)Petrarch 2/7/03 6:10 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.