glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Halo: Revolution - A Mock Game Doc (Part 1)
Posted By: RC MasterDate: 1/14/13 3:09 p.m.

In Response To: Halo: Revolution - A Mock Game Doc (Part 1) (SonGoharotto)

Putting the Swap Weapon and pick up weapon on the same button seems like a good idea. The Action button is kinda overloaded while everything else is very one dimensional.

That kinda gave me an idea though:
If having three grenade types means you have to start cylcing through them to get the one you want - recalling the infinite pockets of old - then why not treat grenades in a similar way to weapons?
That is, you can carry a maximum of two types, and swap between them at will. But there are more types on the field that you must swap out one of your existing types for.

: Another major addition is the VANIR System. This will have to be a minor
: retcon, but I think is a happy medium between Master Chief's retro
: flashlight (cut from Halo 4!) and the built-in image enhancers that the
: novels said MJOLNIR always had.

There were quite a few dark areas in Halo 4 where I did miss a flashlight or VISR. ODST's was far, far too useful, and I think the one in Reach was still slightly too useful in the dark as well. It got to the point where sometimes I couldn't picture areas without it turned on.

: In multiplayer, VANIR can come in
: handy on darker maps, but having it active looks like the old-fashioned
: headlamp to another SPARTAN, which can give away your position.

Promethean Vision should have probably had a bit more of that.

: And I
: know some people absolutely despise superfluous HUD lines, so you'll
: always be able to turn those off.

YES!!

: (Side note: When I was comparing the various games' HUDs back and forth, I
: was surprised to see how low the targeting reticle typically sits in
: relation to the center of screen.)

That's because most games only put it in the centre because they never thought too hard about it. Bungie and a handful of other developers have put it in different heights over the years.

If it were me, I would think the logical place to put it would be around 1/3 down from the top - above the conventional centre. Reason being is thats where the centre of vision in a practical sense seems to be. Take a look at where people's heads are in the frame during TV - it's not the centre of the screen or below it, it's above it. And it makes sense to prioritise being able to see the ground beneath your feet more than the sky above you - from a biological perspective. No data, just my thoughts.

After having thought about, I've recently come to the conclusion that Bungie chose the low placement they did so that they would have a clear band around 1/3, for unobstructed view of the horizon as you're moving around. However, I don't like that you then have to bring your aim up from that comfortable 'looking around' position to actually aim at something.

: since I haven't
: yet determined the exact nature of the new grenade type.

Lol. Then you should leave considerations of it out until you decided what it is, and that it's necessary to the experience.

: 2. An in-game compass makes following directions easier and provides a neat
: way to keep objective waypoints from cluttering up the screen. Waypoints
: now stick to the compass, providing you an exact distance, and pop
: on-screen only when you come within 10 meters,

Making it useless for finding objectives significantly above or below your current elevation.

Personally, if you're justifying cramping all the weapon and grenade indicators together in the top left as more intuitive and convinient, then shouldn't the map-orientated stuff go in the bottom left: along with the motion tracker?

: 3. Yes, it's the retro shield and health bar, but not just because I'm
: feeling nostalgic. Ever since Halo 3, I've been somewhat annoyed by having
: the shield/health meter decrease from both sides into the middle.

Incorrect sir. Halo 3's Shield Bar drained from the right to left. You must be thinking of Halo 3: ODST.

I felt it draining from both sides, when it was positioned in the middle of the screen, felt appropriate. If you move it to one of the sides of the screen, then yes it's better to have it drain from the side closest to the centre of the screen.

: 4. Team bio-signs, or BIOS, a very minimalist way to keep an eye on your
: allies.

Won't this get hugely cluttered in 8v8 or big party Infection?

Of course, if Halo had a squad system like Battlefield, then this wouldn't be a problem, and would be a good idea. Maybe even a dynamic one - showing you the status of your 3 nearest teammates.

: A blue med cross is the default status.

Or actually don't have anything at all for default status - keep it simple. Then if you see a symbol popping into existence next to someone's name - you know something is up.

: A red X means they're dead.

That's only really useful when it's a waypoint isn't it? To guide you to their body and any weapons/ammo they might have had.

Differentiate it more when it's a constant HUD widget: grey out their call-sign and put a red line through it.

: 5. Scoring, ripped straight from Halo 4's HUD. Playing FFA shows your player
: emblem versus the current score leader, or next highest if you're in the
: lead. This is also where campaign scoring would appear.

Release Halo 4 uses Blue-Rays and Red-Sharks. Why'd you use Blue-Hawks and Red-Snakes? I suspect you were looking at pre-release HUD images.

: 7. Remember from the alpha-build screencaps of Reach, when it had this style
: motion tracker?

I believe the reason is that while that style gives you good height mapping (and probably too good for Halo) it makes it more difficult to estimate XY distance.

: 9. The play-by-play,

LOL!

: I think Halo 4 has a dedicated widget for damage and incoming grenades?
: Seriously, I played a couple days ago and I just can't visualize what they
: look like.

Close-proximity grenades have a little icon of the Frag Grenade floating around with a little arrow pointing you to it's direction. It's too good though, you start playing through your HUD rather than that what you're seeing the in world.

rcvgs

Message Index

Replies:

Halo: Revolution - A Mock Game Doc (Part 1)SonGoharotto 1/11/13 12:32 a.m.
     Re: Halo: Revolution - A Mock Game Doc (Part 1)Chewbaccawakka 1/11/13 2:25 a.m.
           Re: Halo: Revolution - A Mock Game Doc (Part 1)SonGoharotto 1/11/13 12:08 p.m.
     Goddamn, this sucked me in. Good Write Up! *NM*zoojoo 1/11/13 5:19 p.m.
           1 thing thoughzoojoo 1/11/13 9:06 p.m.
                 Re: 1 thing thoughuberfoop 1/11/13 9:18 p.m.
                       Re: 1 thing thoughzoojoo 1/12/13 9:29 a.m.
                             Re: 1 thing thoughSonGoharotto 1/12/13 11:00 a.m.
                                   Re: 1 thing thoughRC Master 1/12/13 11:48 a.m.
                                         Re: 1 thing thoughSonGoharotto 1/12/13 12:36 p.m.
     Wow, good stuff.NsU Soldier 1/11/13 6:27 p.m.
           Re: Wow, good stuff.SonGoharotto 1/11/13 7:47 p.m.
                 Re: Wow, good stuff.Chewbaccawakka 1/11/13 7:54 p.m.
                       Re: Wow, good stuff.SonGoharotto 1/11/13 8:06 p.m.
                             An additional thoughtSonGoharotto 1/12/13 12:53 a.m.
                                   Re: An additional thoughtChewbaccawakka 1/12/13 1:18 a.m.
     It sucks.GrimBrother One 1/11/13 7:02 p.m.
           I was just grabbing random names *NM*SonGoharotto 1/11/13 7:48 p.m.
                 Oh suuuuuuure. ;-) *NM*GrimBrother One 1/11/13 7:56 p.m.
                       Hey...Louis Wu 1/12/13 9:10 a.m.
                             In all fairness...SonGoharotto 1/12/13 11:01 a.m.
                                   lolLouis Wu 1/12/13 11:29 a.m.
           You're just mad I took your flag. *NM*General Vagueness 1/12/13 8:47 p.m.
     I am intrigued. *NM*Leisandir 1/11/13 7:38 p.m.
     Re: Halo: Revolution - A Mock Game Doc (Part 1)Nighend 1/11/13 9:04 p.m.
           Re: Halo: Revolution - A Mock Game Doc (Part 1)SonGoharotto 1/12/13 12:46 a.m.
     Re: Halo: Revolution - A Mock Game Doc (Part 1)scarab 1/12/13 7:32 a.m.
           Re: Halo: Revolution - A Mock Game Doc (Part 1)SonGoharotto 1/12/13 11:10 a.m.
           Re: Halo: Revolution - A Mock Game Doc (Part 1)General Vagueness 1/12/13 10:01 p.m.
                 Re: Halo: Revolution - A Mock Game Doc (Part 1)scarab 1/13/13 10:07 a.m.
     Re: Halo: Revolution - A Mock Game Doc (Part 1)scarab 1/12/13 8:21 a.m.
           Re: Halo: Revolution - A Mock Game Doc (Part 1)SonGoharotto 1/12/13 11:15 a.m.
                 Re: Halo: Revolution - A Mock Game Doc (Part 1)Chewbaccawakka 1/13/13 3:10 a.m.
                       Re: Halo: Revolution - A Mock Game Doc (Part 1)General Vagueness 1/13/13 9:38 a.m.
                             Pulse grenade: Polishing a turd.scarab 1/14/13 4:47 a.m.
                                   Re: Pulse grenade: Polishing a turd.NsU Soldier 1/14/13 5:16 a.m.
                                   You need to freeze it first. *NM*Quirel 1/14/13 2:30 p.m.
     Cleaner HUDscarab 1/12/13 8:38 a.m.
           TrueSonGoharotto 1/12/13 11:22 a.m.
     Some thoughts.Quirel 1/13/13 6:51 p.m.
           Re: Some thoughts.SonGoharotto 1/13/13 7:35 p.m.
                 Re: Some thoughts.Quirel 1/13/13 10:54 p.m.
                       Re: Some thoughts.SonGoharotto 1/13/13 11:11 p.m.
                             Re: Some thoughts.Quirel 1/13/13 11:32 p.m.
                 Re: Some thoughts.General Vagueness 1/13/13 11:37 p.m.
                       Re: Some thoughts.SonGoharotto 1/14/13 12:42 a.m.
                             Re: Some thoughts.General Vagueness 1/14/13 8:36 p.m.
                                   Re: Some thoughts.SonGoharotto 1/14/13 10:40 p.m.
                                         Re: Some thoughts.General Vagueness 1/16/13 8:53 a.m.
                                               Re: Some thoughts.SonGoharotto 1/16/13 11:10 a.m.
                                                     Re: Some thoughts.General Vagueness 1/17/13 12:55 a.m.
                                                           Re: Some thoughts.SonGoharotto 1/17/13 12:41 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Some thoughts.General Vagueness 1/18/13 12:04 a.m.
     Re: Halo: Revolution - A Mock Game Doc (Part 1)RC Master 1/14/13 3:09 p.m.
           Re: Halo: Revolution - A Mock Game Doc (Part 1)SonGoharotto 1/14/13 4:29 p.m.
                 Re: Halo: Revolution - A Mock Game Doc (Part 1)uberfoop 1/14/13 11:58 p.m.
                 Re: Halo: Revolution - A Mock Game Doc (Part 1)RC Master 1/15/13 10:52 a.m.
                       Re: Halo: Revolution - A Mock Game Doc (Part 1)SonGoharotto 1/15/13 3:14 p.m.
                       Re: Halo: Revolution - A Mock Game Doc (Part 1)General Vagueness 1/16/13 9:09 a.m.
                             inventory management suxscarab 1/16/13 9:34 a.m.
     Re: Halo: Revolution - A Mock Game Doc (Part 1)scarab 1/15/13 11:05 a.m.
           Re: Halo: Revolution - A Mock Game Doc (Part 1)SonGoharotto 1/15/13 11:45 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.