Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Halo [R]Evolved - Assault on the Control Room
Posted By: SonGoharotto <SonGoharotto@gmail.com>Date: 5/8/11 8:47 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Halo [R]Evolved - Assault on the Control Room (uberfoop)

: I'm not sure I understand. Why a kill barrier?

: In a Reach physics scheme, there are only two ways I could imagine that
: someone could get past a bungie barrier and several long death-long drops,
: and in both cases, they've froodlenutzskying earned it such that it would
: be less immersive to the player to stop them.

A good point, but a barrier stopping you from going down isn't the same as a barrier stopping you from going up. I think it would be weirder to have an invisible floor.

I can already see people thinking it's safe to get out and walk around. Or the barrier stops the Hornet, but not the player from falling through. Or it becomes some kind of trampoline that causes the Hornet and player to bounce around endlessly, like the one-way shield doors in H:R.

All those things are arguably less immersive than a kill barrier. We can always make it a soft kill barrier so the player gets some warning, instead of just dying. It's something most players won't even notice anyway.

: I think the addition comes off as clumsy and unnecessary. We already know
: that Cortana can analyze the Covenant battlenet; it's been mentioned
: several times.

I've been holding to the television rule that when you come back from a commercial break, you sometimes need to remind viewers of what's going on. In between levels is a natural point to take a break from playing.

I added this line chiefly because one Elite and a handful of Grunts hardly seems like a strong enough presence to be worth Cortana commenting on.

: Not that I strongly dislike the new text (though I think the old flows
: better), but once again I must question your rationale. Where does the
: script identify that the marine you're speaking to is on the ground? And
: what made you think that this pelican isn't the one that had been shot
: down?

Because in H:CE, this Pelican is carrying a Warthog, while the one that crashed apparently had a Scorpion. No other Pelican is encountered in the level, so it felt odd to me. If only for my own benefit, I meant to clarify this.

Incidentally, I always wondered why none of the Marines were using the perfectly good Scorpion that's just sitting right there? What, none of them are trained in operating a tank?

: I always interpreted it as, this pelican is in nasty territory
: ("requesting immediate assistance"), Cortana tells FTZ to hold
: position, and the pelican starts establishing positions in the canyons
: right below, and is later seen having been shot down, oriented in the same
: direction that you had seen it leave the first canyon segment.

See, running across dead Marines and overturned vehicles doesn't seem very much like "establishing positions" to me.

Makes more sense to me that FTZ was split up into scouting parties and got ambushed, but their Pelican couldn't manage an extraction because the Covenant have the dominant positioning.

: You've written in several such segments, and I admit I still don't understand
: how they're supposed to work and/or not feel forced. Is the vehicle, which
: is evidently being actively driven, scripted to just sit there even if you
: kill a passenger?

Sometimes I find myself writing what I would do in that situation. While the player could approach this encounter a variety of ways, it's set up so there are some immediately evident options.

In this case, the Spectre is holding position to attack the Marines's flank. With Master Chief approaching from behind, it is little trouble to neutralize the gunner and hijack the Spectre before the driver runs away or tries to splatter you himself.

Alternatively, the player could go for the Jackals first. Use a Plasma Pistol to stall out the Covie vehicles, then pick off the drivers with the Needle Rifle.

Either way, it's just my method of transitioning from one setting to the next.

: That's how
: lampshade hanging works; the author of a work keeps attention off of
: something by acknowledging that it doesn't make sense and then going on
: like it's nothing.

: The problem here is that you're trying to lampshade something that couldn't
: possibly make sense by trying to assert its in-universe palusibility.

Quite the opposite. Cortana mentions the inclement weather at the start of the level. The Banshees never struck me as being particularly sturdy vehicles. If I made a mistake here, it's not specifying in the transcript that the snow storm above the canyons is too fierce for a Banshee to navigate.

: Because the audience won't possible buy that a storm has created a
: trampoline in the sky, the result is that the line will actually likely
: draw more attention to the silliness.

You could easily interpret the soft barrier as turbulence.

Adding a wooshing wind sound effect; now that would be silly.

: Another problem is that the series standard has been to ignore the silliness,
: so juxtaposed with other Halo series banshee areas, this will stick out
: like a horrific sore thumb.

: I'd recommend just leaving the line out and pretending that nothing weird is
: going on.

Meh, that strikes me as laziness. It's one thing to ignore a barrier some place the developers never thought a player could get to. It's another thing to just arbitrarily stop a flying craft from, ya know, flying. Hitting an invisible ceiling may be something I know to expect from a game, but the intent is to not constantly remind the player he's in a game because he keeps hitting the invisible ceiling.

If I'm explicitly told that the skies are too stormy to go any higher, then I no longer question why I can't go higher.

Halo Reach Service Record

Message Index

Replies:

Halo [R]Evolved - Assault on the Control RoomSonGoharotto 5/8/11 9:31 a.m.
     Re: Halo [R]Evolved - Assault on the Control RoomJaydee 5/8/11 11:55 a.m.
           Re: Halo [R]Evolved - Assault on the Control RoomSonGoharotto 5/8/11 1:38 p.m.
           No, it wasn't.uberfoop 5/8/11 4:22 p.m.
                 Re: No, it wasn't.SonGoharotto 5/8/11 4:40 p.m.
                 Re: No, it wasn't.Louis Wu 5/8/11 4:55 p.m.
                       Re: No, it wasn't.uberfoop 5/8/11 5:12 p.m.
                             Besides...TDSpiral 5/8/11 6:11 p.m.
                                   Re: Besides...DHalo 5/8/11 7:31 p.m.
                                         Re: Besides...CaptainRaspberry 5/9/11 11:51 a.m.
                                               Re: Besides...SonGoharotto 5/9/11 5:33 p.m.
     Re: Halo [R]Evolved - Assault on the Control RoomthereIwasn't 5/8/11 2:54 p.m.
           Edit: Missed the Gauss on the SC post. My bad *NM* *NM*thereIwasn't 5/8/11 3:02 p.m.
           Re: Halo [R]Evolved - Assault on the Control RoomSonGoharotto 5/8/11 4:56 p.m.
     Re: Halo [R]Evolved - Assault on the Control Roomuberfoop 5/8/11 5:07 p.m.
           Re: Halo [R]Evolved - Assault on the Control RoomSonGoharotto 5/8/11 8:47 p.m.
                 Re: Halo [R]Evolved - Assault on the Control RoomCaptainRaspberry 5/8/11 10:16 p.m.
                       Re: Halo [R]Evolved - Assault on the Control Roomuberfoop 5/8/11 10:23 p.m.
                       Re: Halo [R]Evolved - Assault on the Control RoomSonGoharotto 5/9/11 5:34 p.m.
                 Re: Halo [R]Evolved - Assault on the Control Roomuberfoop 5/8/11 10:17 p.m.
                       Re: Halo [R]Evolved - Assault on the Control RoomSonGoharotto 5/9/11 5:42 p.m.
                             Re: Halo [R]Evolved - Assault on the Control Roomuberfoop 5/9/11 5:58 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.