Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Halo [R]Evolved - Assault on the Control Room
Posted By: uberfoop <atkinso2@seattleu.edu>Date: 5/8/11 5:07 p.m.

In Response To: Halo [R]Evolved - Assault on the Control Room (SonGoharotto)

: Attempting to
: descend the shaft will eventually reveal a kill barrier.

I'm not sure I understand. Why a kill barrier?

In a Reach physics scheme, there are only two ways I could imagine that someone could get past a bungie barrier and several long death-long drops, and in both cases, they've froodlenutzskying earned it such that it would be less immersive to the player to stop them.

: • Cortana : "The Covenant presence here is stronger than I predicted.
: The battlenet is alight with chatter from their search teams. They seem to
: have the entire region secured."

I think the addition comes off as clumsy and unnecessary. We already know that Cortana can analyze the Covenant battlenet; it's been mentioned several times.

: [I always thought Cortana was talking to the Pelican crew, but the original
: game script identifies the Marine as one who is on the ground. That
: creates a weird disconnect between what the player is seeing and what the
: player is hearing. Figured it would be a minor alteration to make this the
: Pelican that you see having been shot down later in the level.]

Not that I strongly dislike the new text (though I think the old flows better), but once again I must question your rationale. Where does the script identify that the marine you're speaking to is on the ground? And what made you think that this pelican isn't the one that had been shot down?

I always interpreted it as, this pelican is in nasty territory ("requesting immediate assistance"), Cortana tells FTZ to hold position, and the pelican starts establishing positions in the canyons right below, and is later seen having been shot down, oriented in the same direction that you had seen it leave the first canyon segment.

: Master Chief kills a Grunt manning the Spectre's turret, then hijacks it,
: running over its former driver. He picks up the Marines and strikes back
: at the Covenant.

You've written in several such segments, and I admit I still don't understand how they're supposed to work and/or not feel forced. Is the vehicle, which is evidently being actively driven, scripted to just sit there even if you kill a passenger?

: • Marine : "Bloody hell! Can we just ride you, Chief?"
: • Cortana : "Sorry, Marine. This ride only seats one."
: • Sergeant : "All right, that's enough flirting! Mount up, Marines!
: Let's show the Chief we're no damsels in distress."

Aside from the last sentence here, which feels a little off, consider me quite impressed.

: [By the way, if at any time the player hijacks a Banshee and attempts to fly
: out of the canyons, they will meet a soft barrier that pushes you back
: down and hear a warning form Cortana.
: • Cortana : "No good, Chief. The weather is too severe to get anymore
: altitude."]

Hmm. Lampshading is tricky business. Halo 2's case of Johnson going through the whole "sorry Gunns; it's classified" followed by some entertaining commentary is a very well-played lampshade hanging. It calls attention to something which, according strictly to Halo 1, doesn't really make sense in-universe (Remember people, this is strictly the games: "Dust and Echoes" and all that.), and then moves on. That's how lampshade hanging works; the author of a work keeps attention off of something by acknowledging that it doesn't make sense and then going on like it's nothing.

The problem here is that you're trying to lampshade something that couldn't possibly make sense by trying to assert its in-universe palusibility. Because the audience won't possible buy that a storm has created a trampoline in the sky, the result is that the line will actually likely draw more attention to the silliness.

Another problem is that the series standard has been to ignore the silliness, so juxtaposed with other Halo series banshee areas, this will stick out like a horrific sore thumb.

I'd recommend just leaving the line out and pretending that nothing weird is going on.

Message Index

Replies:

Halo [R]Evolved - Assault on the Control RoomSonGoharotto 5/8/11 9:31 a.m.
     Re: Halo [R]Evolved - Assault on the Control RoomJaydee 5/8/11 11:55 a.m.
           Re: Halo [R]Evolved - Assault on the Control RoomSonGoharotto 5/8/11 1:38 p.m.
           No, it wasn't.uberfoop 5/8/11 4:22 p.m.
                 Re: No, it wasn't.SonGoharotto 5/8/11 4:40 p.m.
                 Re: No, it wasn't.Louis Wu 5/8/11 4:55 p.m.
                       Re: No, it wasn't.uberfoop 5/8/11 5:12 p.m.
                             Besides...TDSpiral 5/8/11 6:11 p.m.
                                   Re: Besides...DHalo 5/8/11 7:31 p.m.
                                         Re: Besides...CaptainRaspberry 5/9/11 11:51 a.m.
                                               Re: Besides...SonGoharotto 5/9/11 5:33 p.m.
     Re: Halo [R]Evolved - Assault on the Control RoomthereIwasn't 5/8/11 2:54 p.m.
           Edit: Missed the Gauss on the SC post. My bad *NM* *NM*thereIwasn't 5/8/11 3:02 p.m.
           Re: Halo [R]Evolved - Assault on the Control RoomSonGoharotto 5/8/11 4:56 p.m.
     Re: Halo [R]Evolved - Assault on the Control Roomuberfoop 5/8/11 5:07 p.m.
           Re: Halo [R]Evolved - Assault on the Control RoomSonGoharotto 5/8/11 8:47 p.m.
                 Re: Halo [R]Evolved - Assault on the Control RoomCaptainRaspberry 5/8/11 10:16 p.m.
                       Re: Halo [R]Evolved - Assault on the Control Roomuberfoop 5/8/11 10:23 p.m.
                       Re: Halo [R]Evolved - Assault on the Control RoomSonGoharotto 5/9/11 5:34 p.m.
                 Re: Halo [R]Evolved - Assault on the Control Roomuberfoop 5/8/11 10:17 p.m.
                       Re: Halo [R]Evolved - Assault on the Control RoomSonGoharotto 5/9/11 5:42 p.m.
                             Re: Halo [R]Evolved - Assault on the Control Roomuberfoop 5/9/11 5:58 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.