Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Aren't there simple solutions...
Posted By: Simpsons Rule <SimpsonsRule17@gmail.com>Date: 3/17/07 12:33 p.m.

In Response To: Bungie and the H2 Maps splitting MM (politics) (FyreWulff)

To the people who say that the new maps must be released via the marketplace, available only on the Xbox 360: Halo 2 has already had 3 map packs, distributed in two ways, the first of which being able to purchase (or obtain freely) the maps online through the Content Download option in the Halo 2 menu, the second of which being buying the disc of maps.

And I'm sorry, but at its core Halo 2 is an Xbox game. You can't get the 360's guide to come up while playing, friend notifications don't come up like they do in the 360, there are no achievements, etc.

Halo 2 is an Xbox game. Period. The new maps being developed cannot be incompatible with Halo 2 on the Xbox because, while I'm sure that it's possible for the new maps to utilize Xbox 360 functionality (again, I could be wrong, I don't really know), the maps need to work for Halo 2 which was never designed for the 360.

What I'm driving at is that the new maps need to work on the original Xbox because Halo 2 works on the original Xbox.

So if the new maps can be distributed in other ways besides the marketplace, which are accessible to the original Xbox, and they have to work (or maybe can easily be made to work) on the original Xbox, the only reason Microsoft would limit the distribution of the new maps would be to drive up the sales of the Xbox 360.

Ok. So these problems are more or less a Microsoft issue, but what about Bungie?

Why doesn't Bungie simply make two versions of the really large/most popular playlists? For example, BTB Skirmish and [Insert Name of New Map Pack Release] BTB Skirmish? I seem to remember a time where there used to be nearly double the number of playlists are there are now. Maybe I'm, but the list does look somewhat small.

Well, having the top playlists be those without the new maps, while the bottom ones the exact same playlists only with the new maps, would allow Bungie to not prohibit Xbox users from matchmaking.

It's not fair to ever stop Xbox users from fully utilizing Halo 2 and all that Halo 2 came with and is capable of. I was going to suggest the playlist option be temporary, but no, it shouldn't be. Why should people who shelled out the money for an Xbox and Halo 2 (an Xbox game) ever get that game stripped down because they didn't purchase the next $400 console?

It'd be like a PC gaming company providing an update to their game which makes it Vista only. The game could still run, as it has, on your old machine but the update has prevented it from playing on anything else but Vista.

Why doesn't Microsoft realize that if they were simply more consumer oriented, they wouldn't have to resort to such stupid tactics to drive their sky-high sales even further?

-SR

HBO Halo 3 Beta Clan (Unofficial)

Message Index

Replies:

Bungie and the H2 Maps splitting MM (politics)FyreWulff 3/17/07 2:22 a.m.
     Re: Bungie and the H2 Maps splitting MM (politics)Guesty-Persony-Thingy 3/17/07 2:34 a.m.
           Re: Bungie and the H2 Maps splitting MM (politics)FyreWulff 3/17/07 4:29 a.m.
     Hrm. That does not sound good.iJosh 3/17/07 2:38 a.m.
           Re: Hrm. That does not sound good.FyreWulff 3/17/07 4:27 a.m.
     Re: Bungie and the H2 Maps splitting MM (politics)gspawn 3/17/07 8:53 a.m.
           Re: Bungie and the H2 Maps splitting MM (politics)Louis Wu 3/17/07 9:23 a.m.
                 Re: Bungie and the H2 Maps splitting MM (politics)sorahn 3/17/07 9:56 a.m.
                 Politics... how tiresome.Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 3/17/07 10:08 a.m.
           Re: Bungie and the H2 Maps splitting MM (politics)Eiii 3/17/07 1:03 p.m.
                 Exactly.Gravemind 3/18/07 4:56 a.m.
     Re: Bungie and the H2 Maps splitting MM (politics)RVideo 3/17/07 9:57 a.m.
           It is the emulation related lag, and controls3Suns 3/17/07 1:48 p.m.
                 Re: It is the emulation related lag, and controlsDS 3/17/07 6:18 p.m.
                       Re: It is the emulation related lag, and controlsSimpsons Rule 3/17/07 7:00 p.m.
                             I would wager money3Suns 3/18/07 7:49 a.m.
     Re: Bungie and the H2 Maps splitting MM (politics)Urban Reflex 3/17/07 10:45 a.m.
     Aren't there simple solutions...Simpsons Rule 3/17/07 12:33 p.m.
           Its like its Reverse Backwards Compatability. *NM*Dojorkan 3/17/07 12:38 p.m.
           Re: Aren't there simple solutions...FoolsRun 3/17/07 1:30 p.m.
                 Re: Aren't there simple solutions...Simpsons Rule 3/17/07 4:09 p.m.
     So if the new maps are 360 only.....Schedonnardus 3/17/07 1:11 p.m.
           Re: So if the new maps are 360 only.....CougRon 3/17/07 2:30 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.