Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: What's meant by "conservative"?
Posted By: Tarrsk <tarrsk@yahoo.com>Date: 3/8/05 2:44 p.m.

In Response To: Re: What's meant by "conservative"? (SPARTAN-01110101)

: So "banning" anything is by definition conservative? That doesn't
: make sense to me, but then again, you are very small. ;)

Doesn't make sense to me, either. Both sides have stuff they want to ban, although in my experience, it's the Republicans that tend to be ban-happy. Your mileage may vary.

: Anyway, if "banning" violent video games is by definition
: conservative, why is it almost exclusively liberals who seek to ban them?

Cite please?

: The only answer that I can think of is that it aids them in another way,
: somehow we might not immediately realize.

What might that be?

: If "banning" anything is conservative, why is it that liberals try
: to ban guns, while conservatives don't? The answer is that that being a
: conservative or liberal has a lot to do with what reflects traditional
: values and what doesn't. (Hence the words "ethics" and
: "morals".) Not to say that this is the only difference, but
: there is a reason that both values and open-mindedness are included in
: the definitions of both " conservative " and " liberal
: ".

Hardly. You're conflating two very different issues here. Gun control is an attempt to restrict ownership of weapons- to make it difficult for a would-be murderer to buy a gun off the street. While I personally don't agree with the Democratic byline regarding gun control, there IS a simple logic behind it: criminals can't be trusted with deadly weapons, therefore, they should not be allowed to purchase them. Censorship of video games, on the other hand, is based on an unproven theory- the idea that exposure to copious amounts of violence will lower mental inhibitions and lead to an increase in juvenile violence. There is, as previously mentioned, NO respectable, peer-reviewed evidence that such is the case, and therefore those who promote censorship of video games have little to stand on. It's perfectly reasonable to support gun control while being adamantly oppose to video game censorship- to reduce it to "banning guns but not video games = hypocrisy" is fallacious at best, and downright lazy thinking at worst.

I'm also not seeing how the words "ethics" and "morals" have anything to do with "traditional values." It is quite possible to have a moral code without being a traditionalist, I promise you.

In any case, I think it's important to point out that Democrats like Joseph Lieberman, who support censorship of violent video games, are routinely derided as the right-wing fringe of the Democratic Party. Not because "banning video games" is a conservative position (what constitutes "conservative" and "liberal" varies depending on both the issue and the person speaking, in any case), but because if ANYTHING is considered a cornerstone of modern liberalism, it's free speech. Liberals, as a rule, will protest loudly and fight strongly against things they disagree with, but they will not oppose your right to say them, to paraphrase Voltaire.

: Many of the things you mention were brought about also by
: "conservative" values. '["Conservative"] has become a
: dirty word, but it's because people take
: for granted what's been accomplished.' :0

Um, what HAS it accomplished, exactly? The civil rights movement, the New Deal, the prosperity of the 90s- these were all *accomplished* by Democrats and liberals. One could even argue that the abolition of slavery is due to liberal elements (Abraham Lincoln was certainly NOT considered a conservative in his day), back when the Democrats and Republicans were the right wing and left wing, respecitvely. This may be taking the subject a bit too far (and if it is, Louis, I apologize), but it seems to me that all the good conservatives have achieved in the last few decades boil down to winning the Cold War. Restriction free speech, increase in wealth inequality, discrimination against gays, and alienation of the populations of every allied nation we have- these are the conservative legacy of the last 20 years.

Message Index

Replies:

New CBS InterviewSpenser 3/7/05 7:19 p.m.
     Re: New CBS InterviewPvt. Jenkins 3/7/05 7:22 p.m.
           Re: New CBS Interviewemh_of_borg 3/7/05 7:39 p.m.
                 Re: New CBS InterviewEchoes 3/7/05 7:41 p.m.
                       Re: New CBS InterviewPvt. Jenkins 3/7/05 7:48 p.m.
                             Re: New CBS Interviewemh_of_borg 3/7/05 7:50 p.m.
                                   Re: New CBS InterviewHALOChat 3/7/05 8:41 p.m.
     Re: New CBS InterviewThe Se7enth Prophet 3/7/05 7:31 p.m.
           Re: New CBS InterviewWraith7n 3/7/05 9:29 p.m.
     Factual questionSPARTAN-01110101 3/8/05 1:44 a.m.
           Re: Factual questionLouis Wu 3/8/05 7:16 a.m.
                 Re: Factual questiongspawn 3/8/05 10:59 a.m.
                       Weren't we.. just talking about bias? *NM*William_of_Normandy 3/8/05 11:38 a.m.
                 Re: Factual questionSPARTAN-01110101 3/8/05 12:39 p.m.
           Re: Factual questionCapo Rip 3/8/05 8:26 a.m.
                 Re: Factual questionAshes 3/8/05 10:46 a.m.
           Re: Factual questionSu1aco 3/8/05 10:37 a.m.
           What's meant by "conservative"?E.T. the Extremely Tired 3/8/05 10:50 a.m.
                 Re: What's meant by "conservative"?gspawn 3/8/05 11:02 a.m.
                       Re: What's meant by "conservative"?Hikaru-119 3/8/05 11:31 a.m.
                             Let's keep the discussion focused...Louis Wu 3/8/05 11:48 a.m.
                                   Re: Let's keep the discussion focused... *NM*Kermit 3/8/05 12:14 p.m.
                                   Re: Let's keep the discussion focused...Hikaru-119 3/8/05 12:17 p.m.
                                   Re: Let's keep the discussion focused...Kermit 3/8/05 12:29 p.m.
                             Re: What's meant by "conservative"?Su1aco 3/8/05 9:01 p.m.
                 Re: What's meant by "conservative"?Mr Yun 3/8/05 12:49 p.m.
                       Re: What's meant by "conservative"?SPARTAN-01110101 3/8/05 1:08 p.m.
                             Re: What's meant by "conservative"?Tarrsk 3/8/05 2:44 p.m.
                                   Re: What's meant by "conservative"?Tarrsk 3/8/05 2:46 p.m.
                                   Definitely too far. :(Louis Wu 3/8/05 3:06 p.m.
                                         Re: Definitely too far. :(Tarrsk 3/8/05 5:14 p.m.
                             Re: What's meant by "conservative"?Mr Yun 3/8/05 3:35 p.m.
                                   Are you stupid, or just bullheaded?Louis Wu 3/8/05 3:50 p.m.
                                         Re: Are you stupid, or just bullheaded?Kyrceck 3/8/05 6:27 p.m.
                                         He's gone rampant!Peptuck 3/8/05 8:38 p.m.
                                         Re: Are you stupid, or just bullheaded?Mr Yun 3/9/05 9:46 a.m.
                                               Re: Are you stupid, or just bullheaded?Louis Wu 3/9/05 10:02 a.m.
           Re: Factual questionScytheBoy 3/8/05 12:30 p.m.
                 Re: Factual questionLouis Wu 3/8/05 12:59 p.m.
                       Re: Factual questionRage Reset 3/8/05 1:52 p.m.
                             Re: Factual questionKyrceck 3/8/05 8:47 p.m.
                       Re: Tone and perceptionVorpal Sword 3/8/05 1:53 p.m.
           Re: Factual questionFarreg 3/8/05 10:00 p.m.
                 Re: Factual questionArt Vandelay 3/8/05 11:54 p.m.
     The CBS InterviewsEndbringer 3/10/05 9:27 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.