Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Factual question
Posted By: gspawnDate: 3/8/05 10:59 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Factual question (Louis Wu)

: You know... I was going to point you back to a bunch of articles we'd
: referenced talking about religious-based groups coming out against video
: games; I guess I always associated groups focused around religion as
: 'conservative'... but you're right, the vast majority of them (at least
: the ones we've mentioned) have as their agenda 'social justice' - which
: tends to be more of a liberal goal than a conservative one. :)

: Interesting... my OWN biases are showing; I didn't even BLINK at the
: 'conservative' mention, because it made sense to me. But all the loudest
: politicians in this issue are Democrats, as you said... and the groups are
: mostly liberal. Wow.

There's a load of other factors as well. For example- in rural areas where Conservatives tend to rule, there just aren't that many videogame stores. People going on the offensive agaisnt them will go after one store only and not the entire chain. Liberal groups who get in a rage about these issues will tend to live in areas where they have more resources close by, and thus are more likely to make waves.

Case in point? When Republicans see a Hustler Adult store coming into town, they're likely to petition to keep that one store from opening. When Democrats buy a Prince CD for their kids only to find out they're retarded and didn't realize Prince had sexual lyrics, Tipper Gore held meetings in the Supreme Court.

Now, for the counterpoint- which I see because I live in an area where >80% of voters are registered Democrat and statistically you can say that any elections of Democrats is an anomaly... Two of the biggest names against violence/etc in media ~90s were Tipper Gore and Joe Lieberman- two people who are, unless I'm missing something, generally incredibly conservative in nature (on this issue), but who push liberal agenda (otherwise). Need I mention the fact that Al also sat in on some of Tipper's hearings? When the three of these people were basically on the ticket in 2000, in my eyes, you had three ultra-conservatives who were masking themselves as liberals. Their agenda in office would have been half "protect liberal ideas" and half "Shut down Hollywood and start burning all the bad books".

And I think THAT is what's going on in most groups against this sort of thing. "Liberal" people suddenly realize that Conservative ideals are the ones that will help them ban the "naughty" things their children have their hands on, and so they do a monstrous reversal of values on the issue- and those people are suddenly all over the media because they tend to have a) more resources by area and b) they're going through a crisis in their own beliefs onthe issue, and they use that to push their agenda (I even bought GTA for my kid, but THEN I looked at the M stamped on the cover...).

Message Index

Replies:

New CBS InterviewSpenser 3/7/05 7:19 p.m.
     Re: New CBS InterviewPvt. Jenkins 3/7/05 7:22 p.m.
           Re: New CBS Interviewemh_of_borg 3/7/05 7:39 p.m.
                 Re: New CBS InterviewEchoes 3/7/05 7:41 p.m.
                       Re: New CBS InterviewPvt. Jenkins 3/7/05 7:48 p.m.
                             Re: New CBS Interviewemh_of_borg 3/7/05 7:50 p.m.
                                   Re: New CBS InterviewHALOChat 3/7/05 8:41 p.m.
     Re: New CBS InterviewThe Se7enth Prophet 3/7/05 7:31 p.m.
           Re: New CBS InterviewWraith7n 3/7/05 9:29 p.m.
     Factual questionSPARTAN-01110101 3/8/05 1:44 a.m.
           Re: Factual questionLouis Wu 3/8/05 7:16 a.m.
                 Re: Factual questiongspawn 3/8/05 10:59 a.m.
                       Weren't we.. just talking about bias? *NM*William_of_Normandy 3/8/05 11:38 a.m.
                 Re: Factual questionSPARTAN-01110101 3/8/05 12:39 p.m.
           Re: Factual questionCapo Rip 3/8/05 8:26 a.m.
                 Re: Factual questionAshes 3/8/05 10:46 a.m.
           Re: Factual questionSu1aco 3/8/05 10:37 a.m.
           What's meant by "conservative"?E.T. the Extremely Tired 3/8/05 10:50 a.m.
                 Re: What's meant by "conservative"?gspawn 3/8/05 11:02 a.m.
                       Re: What's meant by "conservative"?Hikaru-119 3/8/05 11:31 a.m.
                             Let's keep the discussion focused...Louis Wu 3/8/05 11:48 a.m.
                                   Re: Let's keep the discussion focused... *NM*Kermit 3/8/05 12:14 p.m.
                                   Re: Let's keep the discussion focused...Hikaru-119 3/8/05 12:17 p.m.
                                   Re: Let's keep the discussion focused...Kermit 3/8/05 12:29 p.m.
                             Re: What's meant by "conservative"?Su1aco 3/8/05 9:01 p.m.
                 Re: What's meant by "conservative"?Mr Yun 3/8/05 12:49 p.m.
                       Re: What's meant by "conservative"?SPARTAN-01110101 3/8/05 1:08 p.m.
                             Re: What's meant by "conservative"?Tarrsk 3/8/05 2:44 p.m.
                                   Re: What's meant by "conservative"?Tarrsk 3/8/05 2:46 p.m.
                                   Definitely too far. :(Louis Wu 3/8/05 3:06 p.m.
                                         Re: Definitely too far. :(Tarrsk 3/8/05 5:14 p.m.
                             Re: What's meant by "conservative"?Mr Yun 3/8/05 3:35 p.m.
                                   Are you stupid, or just bullheaded?Louis Wu 3/8/05 3:50 p.m.
                                         Re: Are you stupid, or just bullheaded?Kyrceck 3/8/05 6:27 p.m.
                                         He's gone rampant!Peptuck 3/8/05 8:38 p.m.
                                         Re: Are you stupid, or just bullheaded?Mr Yun 3/9/05 9:46 a.m.
                                               Re: Are you stupid, or just bullheaded?Louis Wu 3/9/05 10:02 a.m.
           Re: Factual questionScytheBoy 3/8/05 12:30 p.m.
                 Re: Factual questionLouis Wu 3/8/05 12:59 p.m.
                       Re: Factual questionRage Reset 3/8/05 1:52 p.m.
                             Re: Factual questionKyrceck 3/8/05 8:47 p.m.
                       Re: Tone and perceptionVorpal Sword 3/8/05 1:53 p.m.
           Re: Factual questionFarreg 3/8/05 10:00 p.m.
                 Re: Factual questionArt Vandelay 3/8/05 11:54 p.m.
     The CBS InterviewsEndbringer 3/10/05 9:27 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.