Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Living in Denial
Posted By: Narcogen <narcogen@rampancy.net>Date: 5/21/04 5:58 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Living in Denial (Wado SG)

: It was more than that: 1) Verification of IP or Bungie source from Bungie --
: inconclusive

Done by who? How? Wu called the thing an "incursion" on his servers. Certainly tongue in cheek, but also not entirely accurate.

: 2) Massive updates to Halo Story Page -- NONE

What does that prove? The HSP isn't official. If this had been canon, and HSP didn't know about it, they could have just blown it by not commenting. If they knew it wasn't canon, it just meant they were "in on it". But if they were "in on it" it STILL could have been canon, and their silence was part of maintaining mystery. I myself knew it wasn't Bungie, but I kept quiet until after because it's more fun that way.

: 3) Direct questioning of validity from bungie.org -- Silence

And if this had been canon, B.org's cooperation would have been necessary, and such questioning and the lack of answers would have been staged for the audience's benefit.

That this was hosted at b.org means that their cooperation was always required. So short of a bald statement of fact regarding the source, no amount of "no comment" or posturing can be interpreted conclusively as evidence for or against Enkidu being canon, as

: Agreed in part, I was not as happy with the ending as the beginnings, the
: ending felt more rushed. But I do not agree that it did not have value. If
: you look for answers in a story, you must look beyond the story and see
: where it came from. Since it came from an unknown author, the context of
: the story changes as does the perceived value. The value was not insider
: information on Halo Story from Bungie, the value was intellectual
: stimulation.

: I very much think that it stimulated people intellectually and that was the
: value of the exercise.

: What is the point of the quality of the fiction? Mastery is in the evidence
: of hard work made to look easy. Quality is in the hard work put into it.
: Judgement of these qualities is relative. I say it is a great piece of
: writing, but not for its words which were at times insightful but for its
: presentation. It isn't just words, it is emotional content and
: presentation, it is the whole package.

It's a great piece of writing for fan fiction, head and shoulders above most. That I wouldn't dare deny. But I still think there's a sizeable gap between that and, say, what Greg did at Bungie during the Marathon series.

To say that it had merit as an intellectual exercise, because it prompted people to examine it, is true. But that's different from literary merit, because what caused this interest wasn't the inherent value of the text, but the presumed source. Whether the audience made an incorrect presumption because of their own overeagerness or ignorance, or because they were cleverly deceived is neither here nor there, because that misapprehension more than anything else that sparked the interest.

If one doesn't believe that, one only has to ask, as the BGH crowd is asking (less politely, to be sure) why it wasn't presented from day one as an obvious piece of fan fiction, one with a special presentation outside the fan fiction section. It wasn't done that way because this spoiled the "fun"-- because a lot of the merit of the whole experience is separate from the actual content.

That isn't saying anything bad about it; just something different than saying it either was or was not a good story.

Kind of like what people thought of the Bachman books before people knew it was Stephen King. Notice how much more interest they got after people knew it was a King pseudonym?

[snip]

: To me this is applicable because those that jumped on the bandwagon and
: praised Enkidu as Bungie's work are also those that jump on the bandwagon
: hastily in other aspects of their life.

That's nice, but I don't think anybody asked :)

Myself, I never felt sure this was from Bungie, and the longer it went on, the more I was sure it wasn't. So the revelation that it isn't doesn't affect my opinion of it-- I just understand how it could affect others' opinion of it.

OMG Enkidu Was Fan Fiction!

Message Index

Replies:

Suspension of Disbelief.. But Not to DeathAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/17/04 9:05 p.m.
     Quoth the angelColopatiron 5/17/04 9:15 p.m.
     I am kicking myself for one small thing...Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/17/04 11:23 p.m.
     I'll sum up what I sawMiguel Chavez 5/18/04 12:11 a.m.
           :pTraize 5/18/04 12:43 p.m.
     Re: Suspension of Disbelief.. But Not to DeathCarlo 5/18/04 1:31 p.m.
           Re: Suspension of Disbelief.. But Not to DeathAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/18/04 8:42 p.m.
     Re: Suspension of Disbelief.. But Not to DeathAnonymous Coward 5/18/04 1:33 p.m.
     I still don't get it...BloodBlade 5/18/04 1:49 p.m.
           Re: I still don't get it...Tarrsk 5/18/04 2:19 p.m.
     (Mis)informed opinion, a letter to Anton.gspawn 5/18/04 2:21 p.m.
           Re: (Mis)informed opinion, a letter to Anton.mnemesis 5/18/04 3:01 p.m.
                 Re: (Mis)informed opinion, a letter to Anton.Count Zero 5/18/04 5:49 p.m.
                       Living in DenialNarcogen 5/20/04 12:28 a.m.
                             Re: Living in DenialWado SG 5/20/04 3:34 p.m.
                                   Re: Living in DenialNarcogen 5/21/04 5:58 a.m.
                                         Re: Living in Denialmnemesis 5/21/04 1:29 p.m.
                                               Re: Living in DenialWado SG 5/21/04 2:41 p.m.
                 Re: (Mis)informed opinion, a letter to Anton.Zaknafein 5/18/04 6:17 p.m.
           Re: (Mis)informed opinion, a letter to Anton.Louis Wu 5/18/04 3:17 p.m.
     Once upon a time...Wado SG 5/18/04 2:32 p.m.
           Re: Once upon a time...Dark Bastion 5/18/04 7:06 p.m.
     Re: Suspension of Disbelief.. But Not to Deathdoesitmatter?no 5/18/04 3:34 p.m.
           Extraordinary claims / exraordinary evidenceCENOBITE 5/18/04 4:20 p.m.
     Re: Suspension of Disbelief.. But Not to DeathAeroJonesy 5/18/04 4:00 p.m.
     Re: Suspension of Disbelief.. But Not to DeathrAgn4rokK 5/18/04 4:52 p.m.
     Re: Suspension of Disbelief.. But Not to DeathDark Bastion 5/18/04 6:41 p.m.
           Re: Suspension of Disbelief.. But Not to DeathAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/18/04 8:57 p.m.
                 Re: Suspension of Disbelief.. But Not to DeathDark Bastion 5/19/04 12:01 a.m.
     Re: Suspension of Disbelief.. But Not to DeathNamaste 5/18/04 10:00 p.m.
     Re: Suspension of Disbelief.. But Not to DeathHaesslich 5/19/04 2:16 a.m.
     Ok, but...Narcogen 5/20/04 7:14 a.m.
           Re: Ok, but...Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/20/04 7:36 a.m.
                 Re: Ok, but...Narcogen 5/20/04 11:50 p.m.
           Blaspheme Quarantined?[BGH]Viper 5/20/04 10:19 p.m.
     Fantastic, Marathon-like jobKen 5/20/04 11:02 p.m.
           Re: Fantastic, Marathon-like jobAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/21/04 6:13 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.