Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Suspension of Disbelief.. But Not to Death
Posted By: Dark Bastion <darkbastion@hotmail.com>Date: 5/18/04 6:41 p.m.

In Response To: Suspension of Disbelief.. But Not to Death (Anton P. Nym (aka Steve))

: I've been wracking my brain to come up with a concise description of why I
: wrote the terminals, but there are so many reasons that I've been unable
: to boil them down. However, as Bungie fans are wont to do, others have
: stepped in to pick up the slack that I've left. That's what made the
: Terminals so rewarding.

*SNIP*

Well, I think Mr. Nym, aka Mr. Steve, has a point. Like all stories, there are supposed to be underlying themes that we can apply to our lives. That's what make good stories engaging, why The Lord of the Rings and Crime and Punishment and all those other great works of literature are so fun to read, and so timeless: they tell good stories, while at the same time teaching you something.

Steve's Enkidu terminals, the most brilliant fanfic I have ever had the pleasure of reading, does the same thing. Sure, it steeps itself in the Halo/Marathon mythology, with references to all the real mythology (Babylonian, Greek, etc.) that comes with that territory, but it does so to make a point, as well as entertain. Aside from telling us a great story, full of references and in-jokes and ideas to pick apart (some of the advanced physics stuff, like string theory, mixed stupendously well with official Halo cannon and the ideas extrapolated from previous terminals), Steve told a story with resonance on many levels, one of which he illustrated above: be critical, ask questions, and don't take anything for granted.

I read the first few Enkidu terminals, and I thought that it surely was an inside job. Enkidu.Bungie.Org seemed legit, the kind of teaser Bungie would pull. And I was pretty convinced of this as the plot thickened, because I had never before read a fan fiction so well written, thought out, and deep. The volume of material in the terminals suggested to me a team of writers and researchers, going off some of the established themes and technology of the Halo universe. The fanfic metatags always left me with doubt, however, and I knew that we'd find out soon enough. So I kept up with the terminals, and before I knew it, I was a regular participator in the HBO forums again, rather than a spectator that dropped in every now and then. I checked the forum daily to see new Enkidu speculation, and I had great fun trying to work everything out in my head. And when I found out the Enkidu was a fanfic, I was amazed: amazed that a fanfic could be written with such style and depth, and amazed that a single author was able to bring his vision into such glorious existence. In the end, the terminals kept me entertained, thinking, and changed the face of Halo fanfics forever. I'm grateful for Steve's work, and I feel sorry for anyone that feels "betrayed" by the terminals.

Just my $.02. Keep up the good work, Steve.

~Matt

Stairway to Oblivion

Message Index

Replies:

Suspension of Disbelief.. But Not to DeathAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/17/04 9:05 p.m.
     Quoth the angelColopatiron 5/17/04 9:15 p.m.
     I am kicking myself for one small thing...Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/17/04 11:23 p.m.
     I'll sum up what I sawMiguel Chavez 5/18/04 12:11 a.m.
           :pTraize 5/18/04 12:43 p.m.
     Re: Suspension of Disbelief.. But Not to DeathCarlo 5/18/04 1:31 p.m.
           Re: Suspension of Disbelief.. But Not to DeathAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/18/04 8:42 p.m.
     Re: Suspension of Disbelief.. But Not to DeathAnonymous Coward 5/18/04 1:33 p.m.
     I still don't get it...BloodBlade 5/18/04 1:49 p.m.
           Re: I still don't get it...Tarrsk 5/18/04 2:19 p.m.
     (Mis)informed opinion, a letter to Anton.gspawn 5/18/04 2:21 p.m.
           Re: (Mis)informed opinion, a letter to Anton.mnemesis 5/18/04 3:01 p.m.
                 Re: (Mis)informed opinion, a letter to Anton.Count Zero 5/18/04 5:49 p.m.
                       Living in DenialNarcogen 5/20/04 12:28 a.m.
                             Re: Living in DenialWado SG 5/20/04 3:34 p.m.
                                   Re: Living in DenialNarcogen 5/21/04 5:58 a.m.
                                         Re: Living in Denialmnemesis 5/21/04 1:29 p.m.
                                               Re: Living in DenialWado SG 5/21/04 2:41 p.m.
                 Re: (Mis)informed opinion, a letter to Anton.Zaknafein 5/18/04 6:17 p.m.
           Re: (Mis)informed opinion, a letter to Anton.Louis Wu 5/18/04 3:17 p.m.
     Once upon a time...Wado SG 5/18/04 2:32 p.m.
           Re: Once upon a time...Dark Bastion 5/18/04 7:06 p.m.
     Re: Suspension of Disbelief.. But Not to Deathdoesitmatter?no 5/18/04 3:34 p.m.
           Extraordinary claims / exraordinary evidenceCENOBITE 5/18/04 4:20 p.m.
     Re: Suspension of Disbelief.. But Not to DeathAeroJonesy 5/18/04 4:00 p.m.
     Re: Suspension of Disbelief.. But Not to DeathrAgn4rokK 5/18/04 4:52 p.m.
     Re: Suspension of Disbelief.. But Not to DeathDark Bastion 5/18/04 6:41 p.m.
           Re: Suspension of Disbelief.. But Not to DeathAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/18/04 8:57 p.m.
                 Re: Suspension of Disbelief.. But Not to DeathDark Bastion 5/19/04 12:01 a.m.
     Re: Suspension of Disbelief.. But Not to DeathNamaste 5/18/04 10:00 p.m.
     Re: Suspension of Disbelief.. But Not to DeathHaesslich 5/19/04 2:16 a.m.
     Ok, but...Narcogen 5/20/04 7:14 a.m.
           Re: Ok, but...Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/20/04 7:36 a.m.
                 Re: Ok, but...Narcogen 5/20/04 11:50 p.m.
           Blaspheme Quarantined?[BGH]Viper 5/20/04 10:19 p.m.
     Fantastic, Marathon-like jobKen 5/20/04 11:02 p.m.
           Re: Fantastic, Marathon-like jobAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/21/04 6:13 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.