/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Almost there...
Posted By: MrHenDate: 10/18/06 3:50 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Now we are getting somewhere (Forrest of B.org)

: Perhaps "player-character" should be hyphenated. The way I read it
: in my head, "player" is being used as a modifier for
: "character"; like "the bathroom sink" specifies a
: particular sink (the one in the bathroom), "the player
: character" specifies a particular character (the one controlled by
: the player). I believe in certain high northern European (e.g.
: Scandinavian) languages these types of phrases are concatenated into
: single words to avoid such confusion. The closest English approximation
: seems to be hyphenation.

Oh, I agree with how you are thinking about "Player character". "Player-character" would probably make it easier to use... so yeah. English would state that we would use it by referring to the player's character. But I do not like that at all... :P

: Right, I'm not at all suggesting there be a separate article titled
: "Security Officer" (other than as a redirect). Only that in
: context elsewhere, you might want, for some reason, to refer to the player
: character by another name like "The Security Officer", and that
: that seems fine to me.

Yeah, we agree on that. :)

: And there are very few of them known in the Marathon universe. The UESC/UEG
: (that's another question: one article there or two? if only one, then what
: do we call it?). The MIDA insurgents. Do the S'pht Clans and Pfhor Battle
: Groups all count as their own unique organizations? There's not a whole
: lot to say about any of these groups one way or another.

BoBs are probably the biggest. They do not have to be formal groups or organizations. Maybe groups is better... less cool, but a broader definition. The reason I was planning on them was because under the original category of "Aliens", BoBs had nowhere to go. But as I mentioned, it is really unneeded for now. I brought it up for more of a sanity check to make sure there would be room for it in the future and it did not collide with anything else we have so far.

: I'd say yes, for the reasons you just gave. There aren't really any known
: "robots" in the game, so maybe "drones" as a race
: (including MADDs and Pfhor drones and possibly Juggernauts if they are
: all-mechanical). AIs as a race, sure.

Maybe Races -> Mechanical would work? Drones would work too.

: I'm not really sure cyborgs qualify as a race... after all, all S'pht are
: cyborgs and they are their own race, and all other know cyborgs are either
: of the Mjolnir variety, the Pfhor-built Human cyborg slaves (the
: "tanks" introduced in M2), or the Pfhor controller cyborg we
: killed in M1.

Should cyborgs just be a stand-alone category? There are enough of them to get their own category, but should that category be a sub-category of something like Races?

: I borrowed the term mostly from the Myth community, where all creatures
: moving about on the map are referred to as "units".

Ah, that makes sense.

: I really prefer player character, though main character doesn't make me
: cringe or anything. It's just that Marathon IS a game, so keeping things
: in game terms makes most sense to me; "main character" makes me
: think we're talking about a book or movie.

Yeah, that makes sense. I tend to think of it as a story first, game second, but that is because I really am a story nut. But you won me over, see your other post.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Terminology questionsMrHen 10/16/06 6:40 a.m.
     Re: Terminology questionsAaron Sikes 10/16/06 7:01 a.m.
           Re: Terminology questionsForrest of B.org 10/16/06 7:28 a.m.
                 acceptedMrHen 10/16/06 8:16 a.m.
                       Re: acceptedDocument 10/17/06 2:37 p.m.
                 My own terminology questionRyokoTK 10/16/06 3:36 p.m.
                       Re: My own terminology questionMrHen 10/16/06 4:01 p.m.
                             Re: My own terminology questionRyokoTK 10/16/06 4:48 p.m.
                                   perhaps...MrHen 10/16/06 5:18 p.m.
                                   Re: My own terminology questionDocument 10/17/06 11:51 a.m.
                                         Like Halo? *NM*MrHen 10/17/06 3:30 p.m.
                             Re: My own terminology questionForrest of B.org 10/16/06 6:19 p.m.
           on The PlayerMrHen 10/16/06 8:11 a.m.
                 Re: on The PlayerDocument 10/17/06 3:04 p.m.
                       dissenting opinions, but flexibleMrHen 10/17/06 3:49 p.m.
                             Re: dissenting opinions, but flexibleForrest of B.org 10/18/06 7:07 a.m.
                                   Now we are getting somewhereMrHen 10/18/06 8:55 a.m.
                                         Re: Now we are getting somewhereAaron Sikes 10/18/06 9:58 a.m.
                                         Re: Now we are getting somewhereRyokoTK 10/18/06 11:56 a.m.
                                               Re: Now we are getting somewhereMrHen 10/18/06 1:27 p.m.
                                               whoops, forgot a pointMrHen 10/18/06 1:30 p.m.
                                                     Re: whoops, forgot a pointForrest of B.org 10/18/06 2:13 p.m.
                                                           That's what I'm saying.RyokoTK 10/18/06 2:39 p.m.
                                                                 I agree, but come to a different conclusionMrHen 10/18/06 3:41 p.m.
                                                                       Re: I agree, but come to a different conclusionRyokoTK 10/18/06 3:54 p.m.
                                                                             Re: I agree, but come to a different conclusionForrest of B.org 10/18/06 4:05 p.m.
                                                                                   this is getting more off-topic...MrHen 10/18/06 4:22 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: this is getting more off-topic...Forrest of B.org 10/18/06 6:31 p.m.
                                                                                               my bad...MrHen 10/19/06 4:48 a.m.
                                                                             Re: I agree, but come to a different conclusionMrHen 10/18/06 4:13 p.m.
                                                           Re: whoops, forgot a pointMrHen 10/18/06 3:26 p.m.
                                               Re: Now we are getting somewhereDocument 10/19/06 8:52 a.m.
                                                     Re: Now we are getting somewhereForrest of B.org 10/19/06 6:52 p.m.
                                         Re: Now we are getting somewhereForrest of B.org 10/18/06 2:01 p.m.
                                               Almost there...MrHen 10/18/06 3:50 p.m.
                                   Re: dissenting opinions, but flexibleForrest of B.org 10/18/06 2:22 p.m.
                                         now *that* makes sense (final draft?)MrHen 10/18/06 3:53 p.m.
                                               Final Draft?Forrest of B.org 10/18/06 4:13 p.m.
                                                     Re: Final Draft?Document 10/18/06 4:27 p.m.
                                                     Good. *shakes hands of everyone*MrHen 10/18/06 4:28 p.m.
                                                           Re: Good. *shakes hands of everyone*Document 10/19/06 8:33 a.m.
                                                                 :) Go for it. *NM*MrHen 10/19/06 9:20 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Good. *shakes hands of everyone*Forrest of B.org 10/19/06 6:55 p.m.
                                               Re: now *that* makes sense (final draft?)Document 10/18/06 4:33 p.m.
                                         Agreed *NM*Document 10/18/06 3:55 p.m.
                             Re: dissenting opinions, but flexibleDocument 10/24/06 1:47 p.m.
                                   in-universe or out-of-universe?MrHen 10/24/06 4:41 p.m.
                       Re: on The PlayerDocument 10/24/06 2:08 p.m.
                             that solves that. ;) *NM*MrHen 10/24/06 4:33 p.m.
     Re: Terminology questionstreellama 10/16/06 11:21 a.m.
           Or Jason Jones? *NM*MrHen 10/16/06 11:27 a.m.
     Re: Terminology questionsDocument 10/17/06 11:41 a.m.
           *exctend=extend *NM*Document 10/17/06 11:45 a.m.
           Re: Terminology questionsRyokoTK 10/17/06 12:53 p.m.
           Re: Terminology questionsMrHen 10/17/06 3:51 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.