/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Now we are getting somewhere
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 10/18/06 2:01 p.m.

In Response To: Now we are getting somewhere (MrHen)

: Hm. I like it, but still think there is something missing... would there be
: an article for the "Security Officer" and "Player
: character"? I am assuming that there would be a difference between
: "Player character" and "Player". They are different
: things, so that makes sense.

: "Player character" sounds a little awkward, but I could get used to
: it. Trying to fit it into the English language would be the hardest part
: for me to get used to: "Durandal often refers to the [[player
: character]] as human in a derogatory manner."

: I find that "Durandal often refers to the [[main character]] as human in
: a derogatory manner." reads a little nicer. The more English way of
: using "Player character" would be to say "Durandal often
: refers to the player's character as human in a derogatory manner."
: but this makes linking a pain.

Perhaps "player-character" should be hyphenated. The way I read it in my head, "player" is being used as a modifier for "character"; like "the bathroom sink" specifies a particular sink (the one in the bathroom), "the player character" specifies a particular character (the one controlled by the player). I believe in certain high northern European (e.g. Scandinavian) languages these types of phrases are concatenated into single words to avoid such confusion. The closest English approximation seems to be hyphenation.

: Articles like "Security Officer" would still exist, but they would
: probably redirect into "Player character" or "Main
: character" to keep things tidy.

Right, I'm not at all suggesting there be a separate article titled "Security Officer" (other than as a redirect). Only that in context elsewhere, you might want, for some reason, to refer to the player character by another name like "The Security Officer", and that that seems fine to me.

: That totally works for me. I would probably add a "Groups" or
: "Organizations", but that would be an addition for a much later
: date because we have better things to write about for now.

And there are very few of them known in the Marathon universe. The UESC/UEG (that's another question: one article there or two? if only one, then what do we call it?). The MIDA insurgents. Do the S'pht Clans and Pfhor Battle Groups all count as their own unique organizations? There's not a whole lot to say about any of these groups one way or another.

: Would AI, cyborgs, and robots fit in "Races"? I would probably
: stick them there just so they have a place to stay. All three are
: basically races, it is just splitting hairs on definitions.

I'd say yes, for the reasons you just gave. There aren't really any known "robots" in the game, so maybe "drones" as a race (including MADDs and Pfhor drones and possibly Juggernauts if they are all-mechanical). AIs as a race, sure.

I'm not really sure cyborgs qualify as a race... after all, all S'pht are cyborgs and they are their own race, and all other know cyborgs are either of the Mjolnir variety, the Pfhor-built Human cyborg slaves (the "tanks" introduced in M2), or the Pfhor controller cyborg we killed in M1.

: As for "Units", what they are may not be intuitive to someone
: outside of the Marathon community, but it beats anything else. This could
: eventually be expanded to include more of the minor things about the
: Marathon games, but that is a future problem.

I borrowed the term mostly from the Myth community, where all creatures moving about on the map are referred to as "units".

: But I am happy with everything. I think the only decision to flesh out is
: "Main character" vs. "Player character". Any final
: thoughts? At this point I am still leaning toward "Main
: character". Does that work for you? Or do you really prefer
: "Player character"?

I really prefer player character, though main character doesn't make me cringe or anything. It's just that Marathon IS a game, so keeping things in game terms makes most sense to me; "main character" makes me think we're talking about a book or movie.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Terminology questionsMrHen 10/16/06 6:40 a.m.
     Re: Terminology questionsAaron Sikes 10/16/06 7:01 a.m.
           Re: Terminology questionsForrest of B.org 10/16/06 7:28 a.m.
                 acceptedMrHen 10/16/06 8:16 a.m.
                       Re: acceptedDocument 10/17/06 2:37 p.m.
                 My own terminology questionRyokoTK 10/16/06 3:36 p.m.
                       Re: My own terminology questionMrHen 10/16/06 4:01 p.m.
                             Re: My own terminology questionRyokoTK 10/16/06 4:48 p.m.
                                   perhaps...MrHen 10/16/06 5:18 p.m.
                                   Re: My own terminology questionDocument 10/17/06 11:51 a.m.
                                         Like Halo? *NM*MrHen 10/17/06 3:30 p.m.
                             Re: My own terminology questionForrest of B.org 10/16/06 6:19 p.m.
           on The PlayerMrHen 10/16/06 8:11 a.m.
                 Re: on The PlayerDocument 10/17/06 3:04 p.m.
                       dissenting opinions, but flexibleMrHen 10/17/06 3:49 p.m.
                             Re: dissenting opinions, but flexibleForrest of B.org 10/18/06 7:07 a.m.
                                   Now we are getting somewhereMrHen 10/18/06 8:55 a.m.
                                         Re: Now we are getting somewhereAaron Sikes 10/18/06 9:58 a.m.
                                         Re: Now we are getting somewhereRyokoTK 10/18/06 11:56 a.m.
                                               Re: Now we are getting somewhereMrHen 10/18/06 1:27 p.m.
                                               whoops, forgot a pointMrHen 10/18/06 1:30 p.m.
                                                     Re: whoops, forgot a pointForrest of B.org 10/18/06 2:13 p.m.
                                                           That's what I'm saying.RyokoTK 10/18/06 2:39 p.m.
                                                                 I agree, but come to a different conclusionMrHen 10/18/06 3:41 p.m.
                                                                       Re: I agree, but come to a different conclusionRyokoTK 10/18/06 3:54 p.m.
                                                                             Re: I agree, but come to a different conclusionForrest of B.org 10/18/06 4:05 p.m.
                                                                                   this is getting more off-topic...MrHen 10/18/06 4:22 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: this is getting more off-topic...Forrest of B.org 10/18/06 6:31 p.m.
                                                                                               my bad...MrHen 10/19/06 4:48 a.m.
                                                                             Re: I agree, but come to a different conclusionMrHen 10/18/06 4:13 p.m.
                                                           Re: whoops, forgot a pointMrHen 10/18/06 3:26 p.m.
                                               Re: Now we are getting somewhereDocument 10/19/06 8:52 a.m.
                                                     Re: Now we are getting somewhereForrest of B.org 10/19/06 6:52 p.m.
                                         Re: Now we are getting somewhereForrest of B.org 10/18/06 2:01 p.m.
                                               Almost there...MrHen 10/18/06 3:50 p.m.
                                   Re: dissenting opinions, but flexibleForrest of B.org 10/18/06 2:22 p.m.
                                         now *that* makes sense (final draft?)MrHen 10/18/06 3:53 p.m.
                                               Final Draft?Forrest of B.org 10/18/06 4:13 p.m.
                                                     Re: Final Draft?Document 10/18/06 4:27 p.m.
                                                     Good. *shakes hands of everyone*MrHen 10/18/06 4:28 p.m.
                                                           Re: Good. *shakes hands of everyone*Document 10/19/06 8:33 a.m.
                                                                 :) Go for it. *NM*MrHen 10/19/06 9:20 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Good. *shakes hands of everyone*Forrest of B.org 10/19/06 6:55 p.m.
                                               Re: now *that* makes sense (final draft?)Document 10/18/06 4:33 p.m.
                                         Agreed *NM*Document 10/18/06 3:55 p.m.
                             Re: dissenting opinions, but flexibleDocument 10/24/06 1:47 p.m.
                                   in-universe or out-of-universe?MrHen 10/24/06 4:41 p.m.
                       Re: on The PlayerDocument 10/24/06 2:08 p.m.
                             that solves that. ;) *NM*MrHen 10/24/06 4:33 p.m.
     Re: Terminology questionstreellama 10/16/06 11:21 a.m.
           Or Jason Jones? *NM*MrHen 10/16/06 11:27 a.m.
     Re: Terminology questionsDocument 10/17/06 11:41 a.m.
           *exctend=extend *NM*Document 10/17/06 11:45 a.m.
           Re: Terminology questionsRyokoTK 10/17/06 12:53 p.m.
           Re: Terminology questionsMrHen 10/17/06 3:51 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.