/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: dissenting opinions, but flexible
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 10/18/06 7:07 a.m.

In Response To: dissenting opinions, but flexible (MrHen)

: In all of this talking, I realized that the article could simply be called
: "Main character". That would solve all of the problems. In fact,
: that is my new favorite. Thoughts?

How about "Player character"?

In video game terminology (as borrowed from role-play terminology), "Player character" is used to signify an active agent in the game which a player controls. Since the only time a player of Marathon really has a character worthy of mention is in the solo game, this picks out precisely the 10th Mjolnir Mk IV cyborg / Recon 54 / the Security Officer. I'd suggest calling the article that; but again, elsewhere you can refer to him as something else like "the Security Officer" which is all we really know of him. Other characters, of course, would never refer to him as "the player-character" as that would break the fourth wall.

On the same line, NPC (non-player character) is used to refer to any active agent in the game who is *not* player-controlled. In a pen and paper role playing game, they are controlled by the game master; in a video game, they're controlled by the game's AI. In other words, Bobs and aliens and all the drones and whatnot. Often modern players will simply call such units in games "AIs", but in Marathon that would confuse us with Tycho, Leela, Durandal, et al. Those "AIs" are not properly speaking NPCs in this sense, though they are "characters" in the story, they are not characters in the same sense as a Bob or a Fighter are - they are not physically present. Such physically present agents are often also called "units", which may be a term you'd like to use for a category of "monsters" in the Anvil sense (though I'm not really sure each unit deserves it's own page or anything). You'd probably want story-related info about them categorized elsewhere under "races" instead; include links to the unit-articles from each main race's page (e.g. the Pfhor page refers to the Fighter page and the Trooper page, etc).

I'd suggest that the category for literary characters (including Durandal, Robert Blake, and the Player-character) be called "characters", the category for in-game units (including Fighters, Drones, and Bobs) be called "units", and the category for races be called (duh) "races" (including Humans, S'pht, Pfhor, etc). And the article about the player's character be called "Player character", just as an article about Fight Club's mysterious narrator would likely be called "Narrator".

(Incidentally, we have this same problem in the Myth community, where the person whose journal it is we hear the entire story through is just "The Journal Writer", since he never refers to himself by name. It's doubly bad there since TFL and Myth II were written by separate authors, and the latter comes across the former's journal. What do we say then? "The Journal Writer 2 came across The Journal Writer 1's journal?" It gets awkward).

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Terminology questionsMrHen 10/16/06 6:40 a.m.
     Re: Terminology questionsAaron Sikes 10/16/06 7:01 a.m.
           Re: Terminology questionsForrest of B.org 10/16/06 7:28 a.m.
                 acceptedMrHen 10/16/06 8:16 a.m.
                       Re: acceptedDocument 10/17/06 2:37 p.m.
                 My own terminology questionRyokoTK 10/16/06 3:36 p.m.
                       Re: My own terminology questionMrHen 10/16/06 4:01 p.m.
                             Re: My own terminology questionRyokoTK 10/16/06 4:48 p.m.
                                   perhaps...MrHen 10/16/06 5:18 p.m.
                                   Re: My own terminology questionDocument 10/17/06 11:51 a.m.
                                         Like Halo? *NM*MrHen 10/17/06 3:30 p.m.
                             Re: My own terminology questionForrest of B.org 10/16/06 6:19 p.m.
           on The PlayerMrHen 10/16/06 8:11 a.m.
                 Re: on The PlayerDocument 10/17/06 3:04 p.m.
                       dissenting opinions, but flexibleMrHen 10/17/06 3:49 p.m.
                             Re: dissenting opinions, but flexibleForrest of B.org 10/18/06 7:07 a.m.
                                   Now we are getting somewhereMrHen 10/18/06 8:55 a.m.
                                         Re: Now we are getting somewhereAaron Sikes 10/18/06 9:58 a.m.
                                         Re: Now we are getting somewhereRyokoTK 10/18/06 11:56 a.m.
                                               Re: Now we are getting somewhereMrHen 10/18/06 1:27 p.m.
                                               whoops, forgot a pointMrHen 10/18/06 1:30 p.m.
                                                     Re: whoops, forgot a pointForrest of B.org 10/18/06 2:13 p.m.
                                                           That's what I'm saying.RyokoTK 10/18/06 2:39 p.m.
                                                                 I agree, but come to a different conclusionMrHen 10/18/06 3:41 p.m.
                                                                       Re: I agree, but come to a different conclusionRyokoTK 10/18/06 3:54 p.m.
                                                                             Re: I agree, but come to a different conclusionForrest of B.org 10/18/06 4:05 p.m.
                                                                                   this is getting more off-topic...MrHen 10/18/06 4:22 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: this is getting more off-topic...Forrest of B.org 10/18/06 6:31 p.m.
                                                                                               my bad...MrHen 10/19/06 4:48 a.m.
                                                                             Re: I agree, but come to a different conclusionMrHen 10/18/06 4:13 p.m.
                                                           Re: whoops, forgot a pointMrHen 10/18/06 3:26 p.m.
                                               Re: Now we are getting somewhereDocument 10/19/06 8:52 a.m.
                                                     Re: Now we are getting somewhereForrest of B.org 10/19/06 6:52 p.m.
                                         Re: Now we are getting somewhereForrest of B.org 10/18/06 2:01 p.m.
                                               Almost there...MrHen 10/18/06 3:50 p.m.
                                   Re: dissenting opinions, but flexibleForrest of B.org 10/18/06 2:22 p.m.
                                         now *that* makes sense (final draft?)MrHen 10/18/06 3:53 p.m.
                                               Final Draft?Forrest of B.org 10/18/06 4:13 p.m.
                                                     Re: Final Draft?Document 10/18/06 4:27 p.m.
                                                     Good. *shakes hands of everyone*MrHen 10/18/06 4:28 p.m.
                                                           Re: Good. *shakes hands of everyone*Document 10/19/06 8:33 a.m.
                                                                 :) Go for it. *NM*MrHen 10/19/06 9:20 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Good. *shakes hands of everyone*Forrest of B.org 10/19/06 6:55 p.m.
                                               Re: now *that* makes sense (final draft?)Document 10/18/06 4:33 p.m.
                                         Agreed *NM*Document 10/18/06 3:55 p.m.
                             Re: dissenting opinions, but flexibleDocument 10/24/06 1:47 p.m.
                                   in-universe or out-of-universe?MrHen 10/24/06 4:41 p.m.
                       Re: on The PlayerDocument 10/24/06 2:08 p.m.
                             that solves that. ;) *NM*MrHen 10/24/06 4:33 p.m.
     Re: Terminology questionstreellama 10/16/06 11:21 a.m.
           Or Jason Jones? *NM*MrHen 10/16/06 11:27 a.m.
     Re: Terminology questionsDocument 10/17/06 11:41 a.m.
           *exctend=extend *NM*Document 10/17/06 11:45 a.m.
           Re: Terminology questionsRyokoTK 10/17/06 12:53 p.m.
           Re: Terminology questionsMrHen 10/17/06 3:51 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.