/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

truth
Posted By: MrHenDate: 8/12/05 12:05 p.m.

In Response To: Re: more on social darwinism (Ben A. Potter)

Eh... so I started a response and it quickly ballooned on me. Near the end I felt like I was writing a philosophy essay... sorry about that.

As I said, I'm a crack philosopher and I can get carried away. Obviously, I would appreciate it if you pointed out anything ill it contains. Near the end I finally realized we may have been breaking semantics again.

"Actually, scientists do not search for the "truth." Truth is a metaphysical statement."

I don't see how "truth" being a metaphysical statement has anything to do with what science is looking for. Even looking at the Criterion of Demarcation, the criterion has nothing to do with the goal or purpose of the scientific method. It merely involves the process with which the method is carried out.

"Science cannot "prove" anything absolutely in the sense that you can in mathematics. We can refute hypotheses with explicit test implications. Mathematics deals with proofs only because their veracity is couched in terms of their premises."

The key word there is obviously "absolutely". The only difference is that Mathematics refuses to budge their rules and assumptions where Science doesn't have a problem with it. Science can still prove something in a given system or prove a system incorrect.

By looking at each hypothesis as a closed system one could consider each refutal of a hypothesis as a proof. It's only when you take the entire scientific plane into account that it no longer looks like a proof and the same thing can be said of Mathematics. If I doubt the validity of what "+" means I will then doubt the validity of "2 + 2 = 4" and from there I can destroy most of the "proofs" within Mathematics.

The difference is that doubting Mathematics' assumptions seem ludicrous where it is expected for science. Why?

"Empirical science is actually a quest for ever better approximations of the natural world. Scientific methodologies offer a way of understanding empirical reality (as defined by our observations). Science evalutes competing explanations of empirical phenomena."

That's why. Since science deals explicitly with empirical phenomena it must allow for the possibility for competing phenomena, just as you said. But this doesn't deny truth. It is, in fact, the very quest of truth.

Given the fact that every single empirical phenomena could be reduced to a question of metaphysics there must, at some point, be a given set of rules that defines the system. If it there wasn't this foundational set of rules or assumptions the experiment would break the first of the three Criterion you mentioned.

Take these assumed rules and treat them like the Mathematical rules mentioned above and we now have proofs and truth. It has only been abstracted further down the path of empirical phenomena.

Since all of these hypotheses are created and either refuted (Criterion 1) or continually upheld (Criterion 2) there must have been a purpose and that is to eliminate as much as possible of the infinite unknown (Criterion 3). Also known as the search for truth.

The hiccough that comes when applying truth to certain objects is that truth is, as you pointed out, metaphysical. Thanks to the glory of metaphysics this truth can be abstracted to any set of rules such as Mathematics or science.

If one allows for the proofs contained within Mathematics to be considered "truth" than so must all the proofs and disproves held within the confines of whatever system of assumptions science has chosen to wear for the day. Regardless of whether this truth is useful or not it is still truth; it has merely been abstracted to fit within a particular system.

Absolute truth, or the idea that things have an innate, global truth quality to them, is an entirely different form of truth which cannot be empirically verified (failing Criterion 1) unless you have control over what gives each object or idea its truth quality which defeats the entire point of trying to find out what it is (failing Criterions 2 & 3). There is nothing scientific about absolute truth.

"Here's a bit from a lecture I gave a few years back. It might help you understand science a little better.

Those were pretty cool, actually, and did help quite a bit. Thanks.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Marathon PfhorD-M.A. 8/2/05 6:01 a.m.
     Re: Marathon PfhorJohn Molloy 8/2/05 6:41 a.m.
     Re: Marathon PfhorVid Boi 8/2/05 9:33 a.m.
           tBC's and Frigidman's replies are kinda intriguin *NM*D-M.A. 8/2/05 10:49 a.m.
                 Yeah, maybe. *NM*Bob-B-Q 8/2/05 11:35 a.m.
                 that's what i would have doneMrHen 8/2/05 2:07 p.m.
                       Re: that's what i would have doneVid Boi 8/2/05 11:48 p.m.
                             It's not dead, it's 11 pages long and counting! *NM*D-M.A. 8/2/05 11:54 p.m.
                                   11 pages long, counting, and not about 'Thon... *NM*Vid Boi 8/4/05 1:48 a.m.
           *sigh* I'll never get a PC Forge... *NM*reagan64 8/5/05 6:14 p.m.
     Re: Marathon PfhorReiginko 8/3/05 5:31 a.m.
           Re: Marathon PfhorD-M.A. 8/3/05 6:01 a.m.
                 Re: Marathon PfhorOri 8/3/05 6:33 a.m.
                       Re: Marathon PfhorJacke 8/3/05 10:47 a.m.
                             Re: Marathon PfhorJohn Molloy 8/3/05 1:17 p.m.
                             ehh...MrHen 8/3/05 1:57 p.m.
                             Re: Marathon PfhorD-M.A. 8/3/05 6:06 p.m.
                                   Re: Marathon PfhorJohn Molloy 8/3/05 6:32 p.m.
                                         Re: Marathon PfhorForrest of B.org 8/3/05 6:59 p.m.
                                               Re: Marathon PfhorJohn Molloy 8/3/05 7:06 p.m.
                                                     Re: Marathon PfhorVid Boi 8/4/05 2:15 a.m.
                                               Someone thinks I'm bright! Happy joy joy :-) *NM*D-M.A. 8/4/05 3:53 a.m.
                                         if by all men...MrHen 8/4/05 4:55 a.m.
                                               Re: if by all men...Forrest of B.org 8/4/05 6:01 p.m.
                                                     I'm curious - are *you* in that photo, Forrest? *NM*Steve Levinson 8/4/05 7:18 p.m.
                                                           Re: I'm curious - are *you* in that photo, ForrestForrest of B.org 8/4/05 8:43 p.m.
                                                                 Re: I'm curious - are *you* in that photo, ForrestD-M.A. 8/4/05 11:09 p.m.
                                                                       Re: I'm curious - are *you* in that photo, ForrestForrest of B.org 8/5/05 7:57 a.m.
                                                                             Re: I'm curious - are *you* in that photo, ForrestJohn Molloy 8/5/05 2:28 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: I'm curious - are *you* in that photo, ForrestForrest of B.org 8/6/05 10:07 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: I'm curious - are *you* in that photo, ForrestJohn Molloy 8/6/05 11:42 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: I'm curious - are *you* in that photo, ForrestJohannes Gunnar 8/7/05 12:31 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: I'm curious - are *you* in that photo, ForrestJohannes Gunnar 8/7/05 12:31 a.m.
                                                                             Re: I'm curious - are *you* in that photo, ForrestVid Boi 8/7/05 12:49 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: I'm curious - are *you* in that photo, ForrestAndrew Nagy 8/8/05 6:46 a.m.
                                                                                         Off! Weirdness... *NM*Vid Boi 8/8/05 4:10 p.m.
                                                     I like the fishnets Forrestblake37 8/5/05 3:06 a.m.
                                                     LOL! i like your outfit Forrest! :P *NM*Johannes Gunnar 8/5/05 4:32 a.m.
                                               Re: if by all men...Vid Boi 8/7/05 12:56 a.m.
                                                     I hate that term.MrHen 8/7/05 6:15 a.m.
                                                           Re: I hate that term.Steve Levinson 8/7/05 10:45 a.m.
                                                                 agreedMrHen 8/8/05 5:01 a.m.
                                                                       Re: agreedSteve Levinson 8/8/05 6:03 a.m.
                                                                             Re: agreedblake37 8/8/05 6:50 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: agreedSteve Levinson 8/8/05 8:14 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: agreedMrHen 8/8/05 10:26 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: agreedblake37 8/8/05 4:03 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: agreedVid Boi 8/8/05 4:32 p.m.
                                                                                               haha, yeah...MrHen 8/8/05 5:39 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: haha, yeah...Tyler 8/9/05 6:41 a.m.
                                                                             ah, okayMrHen 8/8/05 9:59 a.m.
                                                                 Re: I hate that term.Dylan 8/9/05 4:28 a.m.
                                                                       uh... now i'm confused...MrHen 8/9/05 5:17 a.m.
                                                                             Re: uh... now i'm confused...Dylan 8/9/05 8:59 a.m.
                                                                                   hating terminals? *gasp!*MrHen 8/9/05 9:23 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: uh... now i'm confused...AlfredMordeir 8/9/05 7:00 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: uh... now i'm confused...MrHen 8/10/05 4:52 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: uh... now i'm confused...Dylan 8/11/05 4:39 a.m.
                                                                                               I usually don't copy articles but, Oh well.AlfredMordeir 8/11/05 8:54 a.m.
                                                                                   Social DarwinismDave 8/10/05 2:53 a.m.
                                                                                         more on social darwinismMrHen 8/10/05 5:10 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: more on social darwinismReiginko 8/10/05 6:47 a.m.
                                                                                                     Ohh...MrHen 8/10/05 8:46 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: more on social darwinismVid Boi 8/10/05 11:40 a.m.
                                                                                                           Haha, that's terrible. *NM*MrHen 8/11/05 5:05 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: more on social darwinismMrHen 8/11/05 5:19 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: more on social darwinismDave 8/11/05 7:10 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: more on social darwinismReiginko 8/11/05 7:49 a.m.
                                                                                                                       god of the gapsMrHen 8/11/05 8:32 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: more on social darwinismForrest of B.org 8/11/05 9:19 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: more on social darwinismForrest of B.org 8/11/05 9:17 a.m.
                                                                                                                 not a fan of the linkMrHen 8/12/05 12:56 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: not a fan of the linkForrest of B.org 8/12/05 1:16 p.m.
                                                                                                                             mehMrHen 8/12/05 2:24 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Spirituality vs RationalityForrest of B.org 8/12/05 3:34 p.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: Spirituality vs RationalityMrHen 8/13/05 10:42 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: more on social darwinismBen A. Potter 8/11/05 11:20 a.m.
                                                                                                                 truthMrHen 8/12/05 12:05 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: truthBen A. Potter 8/12/05 12:40 p.m.
                                                                                                                             agreedMrHen 8/12/05 1:01 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: more on social darwinismBen A. Potter 8/10/05 9:04 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: more on social darwinismSteve Levinson 8/10/05 12:25 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: more on social darwinismBen A. Potter 8/10/05 1:12 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: more on social darwinismDave 8/10/05 6:35 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Social DarwinismDylan 8/11/05 5:02 a.m.
                                                                                               CreationismMrHen 8/11/05 5:15 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: Social DarwinismBen A. Potter 8/11/05 11:10 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Social DarwinismEnkidu 8/11/05 4:20 p.m.
                                                                 "Fundamentalists" and slippery-slopesMrHen 8/9/05 5:27 a.m.
                                                                       Has anybody noticed....blake37 8/9/05 7:06 a.m.
                                                                             and talk about off-topic . . . *NM*Steve Levinson 8/9/05 7:30 a.m.
                                                                             :PMrHen 8/9/05 7:52 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Has anybody noticed....D-M.A. 8/9/05 7:58 a.m.
                                                                       Re: "Fundamentalists" and slippery-slopesVid Boi 8/10/05 11:53 a.m.
                                                                             Re: "Fundamentalists" and slippery-slopesblake37 8/10/05 12:53 p.m.
                                                                             oops... *blushes* *NM*MrHen 8/11/05 5:16 a.m.
           Re: Marathon PfhorForrest of B.org 8/3/05 6:54 p.m.
                 Re: Marathon PfhorJohn Molloy 8/3/05 7:02 p.m.
                       Re: Marathon PfhorForrest of B.org 8/3/05 7:13 p.m.
                             Re: Marathon PfhorJohn Molloy 8/3/05 7:20 p.m.
                                   Re: Marathon PfhorForrest of B.org 8/3/05 7:40 p.m.
                                         Re: Marathon PfhorReiginko 8/4/05 12:19 a.m.
                                               Re: Marathon PfhorVid Boi 8/4/05 2:19 a.m.
                                               Re: Marathon PfhorForrest of B.org 8/4/05 6:19 p.m.
                                                     Re: Marathon PfhorReiginko 8/5/05 6:57 a.m.
                                                           Re: Marathon PfhorForrest of B.org 8/5/05 8:14 a.m.
                             Re: Marathon PfhorVid Boi 8/4/05 2:24 a.m.
                                   Re: Marathon PfhorMrHen 8/4/05 5:06 a.m.
                             oh... that makes much more sense...MrHen 8/4/05 5:11 a.m.
                                   Re: oh... that makes much more sense...Steve Levinson 8/4/05 1:04 p.m.
                                         Rumor updateukimalefu 8/4/05 7:49 p.m.
                                               Re: Rumor updateRedMage13 8/5/05 3:49 p.m.
                 Re: Marathon PfhorAndrew Nagy 8/8/05 7:53 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.