/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Social Darwinism
Posted By: DylanDate: 8/11/05 5:02 a.m.

In Response To: Social Darwinism (Dave)

: Basically Social Darwinism was only in vogue in certain european countries up
: until the 1950s at latest.

Actually, that's not exactly true. Magaret Sanger, the woman who founded planned parenthood (I'm not sure when), advocated what you call social darwinism. In fact, she wanted the "procreation" of those who are now called "african-americans" stopped. Granted, she's gone, but Planned Parenthood isn't.

: Evolution on the other hand is an exact field of science. It is a theory as
: the creationists love to point out, but so is gravity and I don't see many
: creationists trying to undermine the Theory of Gravity.

Evolution is not, and cannot be, an exact field of science, for millions of years. This is because the scientific method requires observation (consult any dictionary), and we simply have not had sufficient time for this observation process. Conincidentally the majority of the existing evidence, such as the panda's thumb, does not strengthen the theory.

: *Darwinism is a bullshit term. I'm sorry, but it is. Darwin might have come
: up with the Theory of Evolution 170 odd years ago, but it has undergone
: significant changes since then.

The theory has gone through significant changes but evolution is an inadaquate term. It means to many things. Have you ever heard of something like the evolution of the car? Guess what, cars are designed. (Durandal made me write that last sentence.) Furthermore darwinism is a relevant term, for his original theory said all current animals are derived, by a natural process of change, from older and different ones. While the mechanism of the theory has changed the conclusion is still the same. Creationism is also a poor term, because the opposition always thinks they defend a 10,000 year old earth. One last thought before I go back into stasis; Intelligent design is not a theory explaining that the world must have been designed, but rather a disproval of Darwinism.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Marathon PfhorD-M.A. 8/2/05 6:01 a.m.
     Re: Marathon PfhorJohn Molloy 8/2/05 6:41 a.m.
     Re: Marathon PfhorVid Boi 8/2/05 9:33 a.m.
           tBC's and Frigidman's replies are kinda intriguin *NM*D-M.A. 8/2/05 10:49 a.m.
                 Yeah, maybe. *NM*Bob-B-Q 8/2/05 11:35 a.m.
                 that's what i would have doneMrHen 8/2/05 2:07 p.m.
                       Re: that's what i would have doneVid Boi 8/2/05 11:48 p.m.
                             It's not dead, it's 11 pages long and counting! *NM*D-M.A. 8/2/05 11:54 p.m.
                                   11 pages long, counting, and not about 'Thon... *NM*Vid Boi 8/4/05 1:48 a.m.
           *sigh* I'll never get a PC Forge... *NM*reagan64 8/5/05 6:14 p.m.
     Re: Marathon PfhorReiginko 8/3/05 5:31 a.m.
           Re: Marathon PfhorD-M.A. 8/3/05 6:01 a.m.
                 Re: Marathon PfhorOri 8/3/05 6:33 a.m.
                       Re: Marathon PfhorJacke 8/3/05 10:47 a.m.
                             Re: Marathon PfhorJohn Molloy 8/3/05 1:17 p.m.
                             ehh...MrHen 8/3/05 1:57 p.m.
                             Re: Marathon PfhorD-M.A. 8/3/05 6:06 p.m.
                                   Re: Marathon PfhorJohn Molloy 8/3/05 6:32 p.m.
                                         Re: Marathon PfhorForrest of B.org 8/3/05 6:59 p.m.
                                               Re: Marathon PfhorJohn Molloy 8/3/05 7:06 p.m.
                                                     Re: Marathon PfhorVid Boi 8/4/05 2:15 a.m.
                                               Someone thinks I'm bright! Happy joy joy :-) *NM*D-M.A. 8/4/05 3:53 a.m.
                                         if by all men...MrHen 8/4/05 4:55 a.m.
                                               Re: if by all men...Forrest of B.org 8/4/05 6:01 p.m.
                                                     I'm curious - are *you* in that photo, Forrest? *NM*Steve Levinson 8/4/05 7:18 p.m.
                                                           Re: I'm curious - are *you* in that photo, ForrestForrest of B.org 8/4/05 8:43 p.m.
                                                                 Re: I'm curious - are *you* in that photo, ForrestD-M.A. 8/4/05 11:09 p.m.
                                                                       Re: I'm curious - are *you* in that photo, ForrestForrest of B.org 8/5/05 7:57 a.m.
                                                                             Re: I'm curious - are *you* in that photo, ForrestJohn Molloy 8/5/05 2:28 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: I'm curious - are *you* in that photo, ForrestForrest of B.org 8/6/05 10:07 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: I'm curious - are *you* in that photo, ForrestJohn Molloy 8/6/05 11:42 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: I'm curious - are *you* in that photo, ForrestJohannes Gunnar 8/7/05 12:31 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: I'm curious - are *you* in that photo, ForrestJohannes Gunnar 8/7/05 12:31 a.m.
                                                                             Re: I'm curious - are *you* in that photo, ForrestVid Boi 8/7/05 12:49 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: I'm curious - are *you* in that photo, ForrestAndrew Nagy 8/8/05 6:46 a.m.
                                                                                         Off! Weirdness... *NM*Vid Boi 8/8/05 4:10 p.m.
                                                     I like the fishnets Forrestblake37 8/5/05 3:06 a.m.
                                                     LOL! i like your outfit Forrest! :P *NM*Johannes Gunnar 8/5/05 4:32 a.m.
                                               Re: if by all men...Vid Boi 8/7/05 12:56 a.m.
                                                     I hate that term.MrHen 8/7/05 6:15 a.m.
                                                           Re: I hate that term.Steve Levinson 8/7/05 10:45 a.m.
                                                                 agreedMrHen 8/8/05 5:01 a.m.
                                                                       Re: agreedSteve Levinson 8/8/05 6:03 a.m.
                                                                             Re: agreedblake37 8/8/05 6:50 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: agreedSteve Levinson 8/8/05 8:14 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: agreedMrHen 8/8/05 10:26 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: agreedblake37 8/8/05 4:03 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: agreedVid Boi 8/8/05 4:32 p.m.
                                                                                               haha, yeah...MrHen 8/8/05 5:39 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: haha, yeah...Tyler 8/9/05 6:41 a.m.
                                                                             ah, okayMrHen 8/8/05 9:59 a.m.
                                                                 Re: I hate that term.Dylan 8/9/05 4:28 a.m.
                                                                       uh... now i'm confused...MrHen 8/9/05 5:17 a.m.
                                                                             Re: uh... now i'm confused...Dylan 8/9/05 8:59 a.m.
                                                                                   hating terminals? *gasp!*MrHen 8/9/05 9:23 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: uh... now i'm confused...AlfredMordeir 8/9/05 7:00 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: uh... now i'm confused...MrHen 8/10/05 4:52 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: uh... now i'm confused...Dylan 8/11/05 4:39 a.m.
                                                                                               I usually don't copy articles but, Oh well.AlfredMordeir 8/11/05 8:54 a.m.
                                                                                   Social DarwinismDave 8/10/05 2:53 a.m.
                                                                                         more on social darwinismMrHen 8/10/05 5:10 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: more on social darwinismReiginko 8/10/05 6:47 a.m.
                                                                                                     Ohh...MrHen 8/10/05 8:46 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: more on social darwinismVid Boi 8/10/05 11:40 a.m.
                                                                                                           Haha, that's terrible. *NM*MrHen 8/11/05 5:05 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: more on social darwinismMrHen 8/11/05 5:19 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: more on social darwinismDave 8/11/05 7:10 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: more on social darwinismReiginko 8/11/05 7:49 a.m.
                                                                                                                       god of the gapsMrHen 8/11/05 8:32 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: more on social darwinismForrest of B.org 8/11/05 9:19 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: more on social darwinismForrest of B.org 8/11/05 9:17 a.m.
                                                                                                                 not a fan of the linkMrHen 8/12/05 12:56 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: not a fan of the linkForrest of B.org 8/12/05 1:16 p.m.
                                                                                                                             mehMrHen 8/12/05 2:24 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Spirituality vs RationalityForrest of B.org 8/12/05 3:34 p.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: Spirituality vs RationalityMrHen 8/13/05 10:42 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: more on social darwinismBen A. Potter 8/11/05 11:20 a.m.
                                                                                                                 truthMrHen 8/12/05 12:05 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: truthBen A. Potter 8/12/05 12:40 p.m.
                                                                                                                             agreedMrHen 8/12/05 1:01 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: more on social darwinismBen A. Potter 8/10/05 9:04 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: more on social darwinismSteve Levinson 8/10/05 12:25 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: more on social darwinismBen A. Potter 8/10/05 1:12 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: more on social darwinismDave 8/10/05 6:35 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Social DarwinismDylan 8/11/05 5:02 a.m.
                                                                                               CreationismMrHen 8/11/05 5:15 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: Social DarwinismBen A. Potter 8/11/05 11:10 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Social DarwinismEnkidu 8/11/05 4:20 p.m.
                                                                 "Fundamentalists" and slippery-slopesMrHen 8/9/05 5:27 a.m.
                                                                       Has anybody noticed....blake37 8/9/05 7:06 a.m.
                                                                             and talk about off-topic . . . *NM*Steve Levinson 8/9/05 7:30 a.m.
                                                                             :PMrHen 8/9/05 7:52 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Has anybody noticed....D-M.A. 8/9/05 7:58 a.m.
                                                                       Re: "Fundamentalists" and slippery-slopesVid Boi 8/10/05 11:53 a.m.
                                                                             Re: "Fundamentalists" and slippery-slopesblake37 8/10/05 12:53 p.m.
                                                                             oops... *blushes* *NM*MrHen 8/11/05 5:16 a.m.
           Re: Marathon PfhorForrest of B.org 8/3/05 6:54 p.m.
                 Re: Marathon PfhorJohn Molloy 8/3/05 7:02 p.m.
                       Re: Marathon PfhorForrest of B.org 8/3/05 7:13 p.m.
                             Re: Marathon PfhorJohn Molloy 8/3/05 7:20 p.m.
                                   Re: Marathon PfhorForrest of B.org 8/3/05 7:40 p.m.
                                         Re: Marathon PfhorReiginko 8/4/05 12:19 a.m.
                                               Re: Marathon PfhorVid Boi 8/4/05 2:19 a.m.
                                               Re: Marathon PfhorForrest of B.org 8/4/05 6:19 p.m.
                                                     Re: Marathon PfhorReiginko 8/5/05 6:57 a.m.
                                                           Re: Marathon PfhorForrest of B.org 8/5/05 8:14 a.m.
                             Re: Marathon PfhorVid Boi 8/4/05 2:24 a.m.
                                   Re: Marathon PfhorMrHen 8/4/05 5:06 a.m.
                             oh... that makes much more sense...MrHen 8/4/05 5:11 a.m.
                                   Re: oh... that makes much more sense...Steve Levinson 8/4/05 1:04 p.m.
                                         Rumor updateukimalefu 8/4/05 7:49 p.m.
                                               Re: Rumor updateRedMage13 8/5/05 3:49 p.m.
                 Re: Marathon PfhorAndrew Nagy 8/8/05 7:53 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.