Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Meh. Maybe.
Posted By: uberfoopDate: 10/2/12 3:24 a.m.

In Response To: Halo 2 : Anniversary by time of Halo 5? (Rice)

I detailed my issues with CEA's visuals at extreme length a while ago, so I won't reiterate the specifics. In short, though, I consider CEA to be lacking in value. It provides us with none of CE's multiplayer, and what I consider to be an inferior version of the campaign whose shininess and image quality doesn't come remotely close to making up for the losses in raw aesthetic power. To cap it off, the "classic mode" functionality used to provide a comparison with the original game is an ugly, poor representation of CE due to being a sketchy Halo PC port.

A Halo 2 Anniversary would perhaps turn out somewhat better, though, for several reasons:
-Online multiplayer would be much more likely to show up than for CEA. This is because peer-to-peer networking for Halo 2 has always existed; more or less the only work that would have to be done to get Halo 2's MP working again would be modifying the lobby system to recognize modern XBL accounts.
-Better planning could improve the smoothness of development, both due to experience dealing with outsourcing these things and due to not fitting the entire development period into a single year.
-Halo 2's ports have historically been much more visually accurate than CE's. Halo 2 Vista does a decent job of representing Halo 2, and aside from the ghost image issue, so does the software emulation in the 360. Things like animated fog that have never worked for CE outside of running it native on oXbox work fine in other versions of Halo 2. So, a classic mode for a H2A has a good chance of being vastly more faithful than that of CEA.

//================

Really though, I don't care that much about a campaign renovation. Ensuring archival stability for Halo's 1 and 2 by giving them absolutely faithful ports that could, if desired, be operated in high resolution would IMO be vastly more important than any sort of Anniversary edition a la CEA. And so would giving them accessible online console MP releases. I don't like seeing classics become hard to access, while "improved" versions and butchered versions of the old stuff more or less overwrite them. CEA makes the Halo fan in me feel like a Star Wars fan.

Message Index

Replies:

Halo 2 : Anniversary by time of Halo 5?Rice 10/2/12 1:13 a.m.
     Re: Halo 2 : Anniversary by time of Halo 5?Quirel 10/2/12 1:30 a.m.
     Re: Halo 2 : Anniversary by time of Halo 5?Ragashingo 10/2/12 2:00 a.m.
     Re: Halo 2 : Anniversary by time of Halo 5?FyreWulff 10/2/12 3:02 a.m.
           Re: Halo 2 : Anniversary by time of Halo 5?FyreWulff 10/2/12 3:03 a.m.
           Re: Halo 2 : Anniversary by time of Halo 5?General Vagueness 10/3/12 6:53 p.m.
     Meh. Maybe.uberfoop 10/2/12 3:24 a.m.
           Re: Meh. Maybe.Rice 10/2/12 4:00 a.m.
           Re: Meh. Maybe.General Vagueness 10/3/12 7:31 p.m.
                 Re: Meh. Maybe.uberfoop 10/3/12 8:02 p.m.
                       Re: Meh. Maybe.General Vagueness 10/5/12 12:09 a.m.
                             Re: Meh. Maybe.uberfoop 10/5/12 3:01 a.m.
                                   Re: Meh. Maybe.General Vagueness 10/11/12 1:31 p.m.
     Re: Halo 2 : Anniversary by time of Halo 5?Archilen 10/2/12 7:32 a.m.
     Re: Halo 2 : Anniversary by time of Halo 5?kapowaz 10/2/12 7:49 a.m.
     Re: Halo 2 : Anniversary by time of Halo 5?Captain Spark 10/2/12 11:50 a.m.
     I would like an H2A...Nikko B201 10/2/12 5:19 p.m.
           Re: I would like an H2A...General Vagueness 10/3/12 9:09 p.m.
     Re: Halo 2 : Anniversary by time of Halo 5?Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 10/2/12 6:44 p.m.
     Re: Halo 2 : Anniversary by time of Halo 5?Leviathan 10/2/12 7:46 p.m.
           Re: Halo 2 : Anniversary by time of Halo 5?Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 10/2/12 10:26 p.m.
     Re: Halo 2 : Anniversary by time of Halo 5?dogcom 10/5/12 10:26 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.