Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Meh. Maybe.
Posted By: uberfoopDate: 10/5/12 3:01 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Meh. Maybe. (General Vagueness)

: No, because I had a feeling it would take me 5-10 minutes or 5-10 pages to
: find out something that could be explained in a paragraph. It's nothing
: against you, it's just how I expect most informative articles to be.

Well, I couldn't blame you for not wanting to deal with the first link; it's the entire article, which is quite long. The second link specifically points to my page about classic mode, and while I really should polish it up a bit, it's as long as it is because there are that many problems.

If I can't get you to look at a detailed comparison, at least watch this.

: Now it's time for me to ask: did you click my links? I'm pretty OK with Halo
: 2's multiplayer being "not perfect", but button combos,
: super-bouncing, and a few other glitches are game-breaking. It's not a
: matter of an imperfect game, it's a matter of a broken game.

I did not click your links, but that's because I'm completely familiar with what they refer to.

And I would still stand by my point. A lot of people even consider button combos an important part of Halo 2's gameplay. Superbouncing not so much, but there would still be fairly cost-effective ways of dealing with it if they really wanted to (such as modern map movement restrictions, or using a port of H2V just like how CEA is a port of Halo PC, which would be likely anyway).

: They had a stated goal of having it play exactly the same, and for that it
: makes sense to start with the original engine and then change as little as
: possible-- I remember Frankie mentioned at one point they accidentally
: fixed a bug that had to do with the Hunters, and had to re-bug the game to
: make them behave the way we'd expect.

But there's no such thing as a "correct" or "exactly the same" way for the game to function in an online environment. And if there is a "correct" way, the campaign's lockstep networking sure as heck isn't it; when you're trying to port a game that was played with snappy controllers on CRT TV's, adding a bunch of input lag is hardly faithful.

It's not like the campaign wound up particularly mechanically precise anyway. They changed the collision system* (check out the Anniversary vine on the log bridge on 343GS versus the original; the collision maps don't even line up. This is a result of an unfinished fix to the game's collision matching problems), and didn't fix certain things that should have been documented anyway in 2003, like the Halo PC camera behaviour when you exit vehicles (and I think the banshee FRG behavioural differences are also a carry-over from Halo PC, correct me if I'm wrong). The game isn't terribly off mechanically, but it's not quite the exact thing they say they aimed for.

*Yeah, not just the collision maps, but the collision system. For instance, this doesn't work in CEA.

//========

Again, my point is that focusing on the factors they focused on were possibly primarily marketing decisions to get people to focus on things other than the late-start, lower-budget production. I doubt that the splitting the fanbase issue was as large of a concern as it's made out to be, for a number of reasons which were debated to death a year ago.

: source?

It's in the text you quoted. Look up Halo Anniversary Postmortem.

: fair enough
: I didn't notice any fog missing from the first game on the 360 except at the
: first waterfall in the game (on the second level), and I don't think I
: noticed anything missing on the PC version* so it doesn't seem too bad to
: me.

You didn't notice any differences in the animated fog between two games that both suffer from not having animated fog? Fascinating.

;)

Message Index

Replies:

Halo 2 : Anniversary by time of Halo 5?Rice 10/2/12 1:13 a.m.
     Re: Halo 2 : Anniversary by time of Halo 5?Quirel 10/2/12 1:30 a.m.
     Re: Halo 2 : Anniversary by time of Halo 5?Ragashingo 10/2/12 2:00 a.m.
     Re: Halo 2 : Anniversary by time of Halo 5?FyreWulff 10/2/12 3:02 a.m.
           Re: Halo 2 : Anniversary by time of Halo 5?FyreWulff 10/2/12 3:03 a.m.
           Re: Halo 2 : Anniversary by time of Halo 5?General Vagueness 10/3/12 6:53 p.m.
     Meh. Maybe.uberfoop 10/2/12 3:24 a.m.
           Re: Meh. Maybe.Rice 10/2/12 4:00 a.m.
           Re: Meh. Maybe.General Vagueness 10/3/12 7:31 p.m.
                 Re: Meh. Maybe.uberfoop 10/3/12 8:02 p.m.
                       Re: Meh. Maybe.General Vagueness 10/5/12 12:09 a.m.
                             Re: Meh. Maybe.uberfoop 10/5/12 3:01 a.m.
                                   Re: Meh. Maybe.General Vagueness 10/11/12 1:31 p.m.
     Re: Halo 2 : Anniversary by time of Halo 5?Archilen 10/2/12 7:32 a.m.
     Re: Halo 2 : Anniversary by time of Halo 5?kapowaz 10/2/12 7:49 a.m.
     Re: Halo 2 : Anniversary by time of Halo 5?Captain Spark 10/2/12 11:50 a.m.
     I would like an H2A...Nikko B201 10/2/12 5:19 p.m.
           Re: I would like an H2A...General Vagueness 10/3/12 9:09 p.m.
     Re: Halo 2 : Anniversary by time of Halo 5?Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 10/2/12 6:44 p.m.
     Re: Halo 2 : Anniversary by time of Halo 5?Leviathan 10/2/12 7:46 p.m.
           Re: Halo 2 : Anniversary by time of Halo 5?Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 10/2/12 10:26 p.m.
     Re: Halo 2 : Anniversary by time of Halo 5?dogcom 10/5/12 10:26 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.