Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

One thing against Halo, sadly
Posted By: Dagoonite <isitinawooden@gmail.com>Date: 7/11/11 7:32 a.m.

In Response To: Dear 343... (Postmortem)

I just remembered one thing that SW had in its favor that Halo doesn't. West End Games.

Who is West End Games, you ask? They're a now-defunct role-playing game company that existed way back when. In the early 80's they got their start with board games, but moved on to pen and paper RPGs.

So what? They released a little game called Star Wars The Roleplaying Game. The writing was considered by many to be top notch and included a great deal of information on the things that were never discussed in the movies. In the case of the Aurebesh alphabet, they codified it into an actual alphabet instead of random set dressings, which was later used in the movies. Enough so that just a short time later, Lucas Arts started giving their books to writers who wanted to work on the Expanded Universe as source material material. It was considered by Lucas Arts to be a good standard, and an excellent place to build off of.

John Terra's work was especially hailed, to the point where when it was announced that he would return to writing for Star Wars sourcebooks, he was contacted by several of the old-school authors asking if they could buy his notes when a book was released. (If you aren't into RPGs, I'd still suggest picking up his book Interview with Evil -- it's fiction based on an RPG, and a wonderful first-person telling of a villainous overlord's life and helped shape how I think about the generic "evil for evil's sake" villains in my own work. Such class and charm!)

It sounds odd, but the work of an RPG company ended up helping the Star Wars franchise considerably through its expansion of the existing materials. Unfortunately, no such thing exists for Halo with any degree of canon (save for a small handful of fiction novels) making such "EU" books (such as what you want) harder to do.

Do I still want it? Sure! Again, I'd almost be willing to pay them to work on the fiction and research for it. Would they accept nickles? It's just that it would take far, far more work than what the SW universe has. (Then again, if it's worth doing it's worth working for.)

Message Index

Replies:

Dear 343...Postmortem 7/10/11 10:38 p.m.
     Re: Dear 343...ZackDark 7/10/11 10:52 p.m.
           Re: Dear 343...Postmortem 7/10/11 10:56 p.m.
                 Re: Dear 343...ZackDark 7/10/11 11:06 p.m.
                       Re: Dear 343...Postmortem 7/10/11 11:19 p.m.
                             Pherus *SP*Quirel 7/11/11 5:37 p.m.
                                   Pheri? j/k *NM*Postmortem 7/11/11 7:07 p.m.
                       Re: Dear 343...DHalo 7/11/11 6:09 a.m.
     Re: Dear 343...Dagoonite 7/10/11 11:02 p.m.
           Ditto *NM*Postmortem 7/11/11 12:04 a.m.
     One thing against Halo, sadlyDagoonite 7/11/11 7:32 a.m.
           Re: One thing against Halo, sadlyStephen L. (SoundEffect) 7/11/11 8:27 a.m.
                 Re: One thing against Halo, sadlyDagoonite 7/11/11 8:47 a.m.
                       Re: One thing against Halo, sadlyStephen L. (SoundEffect) 7/11/11 9:21 a.m.
                             Re: One thing against Halo, sadlyDagoonite 7/11/11 10:14 a.m.
                                   Re: One thing against Halo, sadlyStephen L. (SoundEffect) 7/11/11 11:01 a.m.
                                         Re: One thing against Halo, sadlyDagoonite 7/11/11 11:14 a.m.
                                               Re: One thing against Halo, sadlySonofMacPhisto 7/11/11 11:22 a.m.
                                                     Re: One thing against Halo, sadlyDagoonite 7/11/11 11:28 a.m.
                                                           Re: One thing against Halo, sadlySonofMacPhisto 7/11/11 11:39 a.m.
                                                                 Re: One thing against Halo, sadlyStephen L. (SoundEffect) 7/11/11 12:37 p.m.
                                               Re: One thing against Halo, sadlyStephen L. (SoundEffect) 7/11/11 12:41 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.