Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Dear 343...
Posted By: Postmortem <postmortem@forwarduntodawn.com>Date: 7/10/11 11:19 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Dear 343... (ZackDark)

: Sure, but I think it would be pretty premature to realease it now...
: I still think launching a "Universe" book would be very much lauded
: now.

: I dunno if you know the SW one worked, but I'll explain it anyway: The book
: is divided by planets. There aren't many. Out of the top of my head, I can
: remember only Tatooine, Dagobah, Coruscant, Alderaan, Hoth, Yavin 4 and
: Bespin. I probably missed just one or two, if any at all.

: Every segment is sort of a diary by a different person describing the planet.

: The Coruscant segment, for example, is a pro-Empire propaganda by a
: high-ranking PR guy.
: Tatooine is a sociological treaty by a scientist well-know to the subtleties
: of Jabba's Palace, the Sand People's costumes, the Jawa's society and
: soforth.

: Very thorough, entertaining and a beautiful visual experience too (as most of
: it's pics are concept arts from the movies, way back before the prequels
: began production).

I know. I owned the book. Enjoyed the hell out of it, before it got lost in the scuffle of moving. To me it was just all about the visuals, with the commentary in between helping to solidify the idea that these are real creatures with actual lives and habits which can be observed. And really the majority of it was based off of the concepts alone, which is about all we have of the Halo creatures. And I imagine it would be divided based on planet/habitat much like the SW one: Reach. High Charity, Forerunner Installations, etc...

I think it could work really well. People don't exactly realize how much ambient life there is in Halo already, but being a fan of exactly that kind of stuff, I know that even some of the smallest details could be expanded into something cool.

For example, there's a creature called a Spadehorn which is native to Reach. As far as I know, it's only been mentioned in the essential visual guide. It's a bovine creature that the colonist's truck, the Spade, was named after, much as the Warthog was named because of its tusks. That's all we know about this creature. But I can easily see an artist and writer creating a whole page of interesting details and features about this creature that we essentially only know at this moment by name. Stuff like that.

Maybe those weird trilobite bugs from High Charity have some interesting facts about them that could be put into a book like this?

Maybe those flying dinosaurs on the different Halos were actually made by the Forerunners to serve a purpose on the rings? Would be cool to read about it and see detailed artwork of them.

Perhaps we'd even get a section for some extinct species just like in the SW field guide, like maybe something on the Pheru from Cryptum? There wasn't really much of a description in the book, but I'm interested.

See, even though they're small parts of the games, given an entire book for the exploration of their lives and looks, I think something great could be made. :)

Forward Unto Dawn

Message Index

Replies:

Dear 343...Postmortem 7/10/11 10:38 p.m.
     Re: Dear 343...ZackDark 7/10/11 10:52 p.m.
           Re: Dear 343...Postmortem 7/10/11 10:56 p.m.
                 Re: Dear 343...ZackDark 7/10/11 11:06 p.m.
                       Re: Dear 343...Postmortem 7/10/11 11:19 p.m.
                             Pherus *SP*Quirel 7/11/11 5:37 p.m.
                                   Pheri? j/k *NM*Postmortem 7/11/11 7:07 p.m.
                       Re: Dear 343...DHalo 7/11/11 6:09 a.m.
     Re: Dear 343...Dagoonite 7/10/11 11:02 p.m.
           Ditto *NM*Postmortem 7/11/11 12:04 a.m.
     One thing against Halo, sadlyDagoonite 7/11/11 7:32 a.m.
           Re: One thing against Halo, sadlyStephen L. (SoundEffect) 7/11/11 8:27 a.m.
                 Re: One thing against Halo, sadlyDagoonite 7/11/11 8:47 a.m.
                       Re: One thing against Halo, sadlyStephen L. (SoundEffect) 7/11/11 9:21 a.m.
                             Re: One thing against Halo, sadlyDagoonite 7/11/11 10:14 a.m.
                                   Re: One thing against Halo, sadlyStephen L. (SoundEffect) 7/11/11 11:01 a.m.
                                         Re: One thing against Halo, sadlyDagoonite 7/11/11 11:14 a.m.
                                               Re: One thing against Halo, sadlySonofMacPhisto 7/11/11 11:22 a.m.
                                                     Re: One thing against Halo, sadlyDagoonite 7/11/11 11:28 a.m.
                                                           Re: One thing against Halo, sadlySonofMacPhisto 7/11/11 11:39 a.m.
                                                                 Re: One thing against Halo, sadlyStephen L. (SoundEffect) 7/11/11 12:37 p.m.
                                               Re: One thing against Halo, sadlyStephen L. (SoundEffect) 7/11/11 12:41 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.