Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Fanblock (speaking directly)
Posted By: Quirel <I_am_quirel@hotmail.com>Date: 12/6/09 9:56 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Fanblock (speaking directly) (Hedgemony)

: I believe that was not allowed to be given to the anime creators. Isn't it
: true that there's only one copy?

According to the mods on the HWF, the Halo Bible is a wiki. But those mods have been known to lie.
They lie. They lie, and we must be merciful to those that lie to us.

Kudos to those who can place that quote.
Anyhow, not making the bible available to the guys making this anime was not only a mistake, but not trying to curb their enthusiasm for 'artistic license' toward the Spartan Armor/Elites was a mistake too.

:: I've got to admit, this is becoming one of my biggest gripes/concerns with
:: Halo fiction.
:: The idea of undercover ONI agents with their own agenda's, ONI this, ONI
:: that...
:: its becoming kind of... tired on the whole really.

: For the most part that's been speculation, AFAIK the only in-universe hints
: at ONI cover-ups are the one in the HGN and one involving a Prowler-class
: ship.

True. Most of my angst against ONI is that they seem to be a convenient plot device for explaining away the inconsistencies, and the fans are using it as such.

Fan #1: OK, so, why wasn't Cal's death mentioned in FoR.
Fan #2: ONI probably classified it.
Fan #1: So... ONI classified the death of a Spartan from both the project head, who's taken on ONI before, and the fellow Spartans... and got away with it? When she died without doing anything groundbreaking or earth shattering?

Fan #1: Hey, why do the Flood show up twenty years before Halo: CE? Wouldn't the Chief and Cortana have known about it, especially since Spartans were present?
Fan #2: ONI covered it up!
Fan #1: So... we survive against the worst nightmare this side of Alien, kick the Covenant's hooty-patootie in the process, and we have to classify that because... it'll wreck morale?

Both of these are actual fan explanations for plot holes (the second one pre-Halo Wars release) However, in 'The Mona Lisa', troops are sent against the Flood without knowing what they might be up against. It seemed that they were meant to die without accomplishing anything useful.

Remember: ONI is an intelligence organization, not a convenient plot device.

: The stuff that annoys me at least is when they change something and even
: offer an explanation for it, but the explanation seems hasty and quickly
: made up, most often involving prototype tech or and ONI coverup.

"It's not a mech. It's a guy in power armor! Like Mjolnir."
>.<

: Or saying
: it'll be explained some time in the future but really just forgotten. The
: explanations for things should be kept in mind when making the product,
: not when you have to explain it to the fans. And sadly, the latter seems
: to be the case most often.

Which is what's aggravating me about all these Halo animes. I KNOW Bungie has a tendency to leave plot points hanging, but they also have a habit of resolving them, which isn't really happening.

: Why can't they just research the facts thoroughly in the first place? If the
: fans can do that, it shouldn't be that hard for them. They should have all
: that material checked by Vociferous and Cocopjojo or something before
: publishing. Really, thorough and professional control over everything is
: the only way to keep things consistent.

Sadly, the guys over at FF.net seem to get stuff right more than some of the authors...

: That's not a retcon, but a
: cleverly crafted way to alter an explanation within the established
: confines of the Halo universe. I applaud that sort of development. It's
: the things that violate the established canon that can't be reconciled
: with the original material that I'm not a fan of.

Yeah.
First of all, Spartans are getting killed off (Retconning (Yeah, it means that too, doesn't just mean fleshing out older details to alter the meaning) facts in FoR) left, right, center, and below.

Perhaps someone can pull it off (Nylund did) but killing them because you have to fill a quota (Solomon, Arthur) or because you have no clue how soldier act in a battle field (Cal couldn't hear a Brute three meters behind her... and ODSTs were stepping on twigs and freezing) is quite unacceptable.

: Moral ambiguity I'm behind, but straight out "ONI is the devil and up to
: something" is now a device we expect.

: So I agree.

: -Hedge.

Exactly!
Turn this trope on its head by having an ONI spook who actually BRIEFS people before they do something, and then turns out to be genuinely surprised when things go wrong!

: Well, Boren's Syndrome as the reason for Johnson not being infected by the
: Flood seemed to be one.

Yeah, well, anything else? Interview I saw made it out like that was one of the few.

: No, not really. The BR in CH was established as a prototype.
: Pre-Production if you will. The production spec was different.

I mean, if games trump novels, then the BR (A designated marksman's rifle) has the accuracy of an assault rifle, the AR has the accuracy of an SMG, the SMG has the accuracy of a sawed-off shotgun, and the shotgun has the accuracy of a grenade in a bucket.

Reducto ad Absurdum? Jawohl!
But the point stands that a more rigorous system has to be set up concerning retcons and gameplay versus novels.

My home page.

Message Index

Replies:

FanblockQuirel 12/5/09 9:58 p.m.
     Re: Fanblock (speaking directly)Azo 'Galvat 12/5/09 10:54 p.m.
           Re: Fanblock (speaking directly)Quirel 12/6/09 12:41 a.m.
                 Re: Fanblock (speaking directly)Azo 'Galvat 12/6/09 8:53 a.m.
                       Re: Fanblock (speaking directly)Bry 12/6/09 9:03 a.m.
                             Re: Fanblock (speaking directly)Quirel 12/6/09 2:19 p.m.
                                   Re: Fanblock (speaking directly)rolandk73 12/6/09 2:21 p.m.
                                         Re: Fanblock (speaking directly)scarab 12/6/09 2:50 p.m.
                                         I thought the Halo Bible was a joke? *NM*Silent Knight 12/6/09 3:57 p.m.
                                               Re: I thought the Halo Bible was a joke?Azo 'Galvat 12/6/09 9:44 p.m.
                                                     Re: I thought the Halo Bible was a joke?Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 12/7/09 6:09 a.m.
                                                           Re: I thought the Halo Bible was a joke?Archilen 12/7/09 6:28 a.m.
                                                                 Re: I thought the Halo Bible was a joke?Bry 12/7/09 6:47 a.m.
                                                                       Re: I thought the Halo Bible was a joke?Archilen 12/7/09 7:04 a.m.
                                                                             Re: I thought the Halo Bible was a joke?AngelicLionheart 12/8/09 4:02 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: I thought the Halo Bible was a joke?Archilen 12/8/09 4:07 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: I thought the Halo Bible was a joke?rolandk73 12/8/09 4:09 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: I thought the Halo Bible was a joke?Archilen 12/8/09 4:10 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: I thought the Halo Bible was a joke?Quirel 12/8/09 5:09 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: I thought the Halo Bible was a joke?Silent Knight 12/8/09 5:37 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: I thought the Halo Bible was a joke?Quirel 12/8/09 6:18 p.m.
                                                                                               Tall guy is tall.AngelicLionheart 12/8/09 10:32 p.m.
                                                                       Re: I thought the Halo Bible was a joke?Leisandir 12/8/09 3:47 p.m.
                                   Re: Fanblock (speaking directly)Bry 12/6/09 2:29 p.m.
                                         Re: Fanblock (speaking directly)rolandk73 12/6/09 2:38 p.m.
                                               Re: Fanblock (speaking directly)Bry 12/6/09 2:47 p.m.
                                                     Re: Fanblock (speaking directly)Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 12/6/09 3:14 p.m.
                                                           Re: Fanblock (speaking directly)Archilen 12/6/09 3:35 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Fanblock (speaking directly)Bry 12/6/09 4:18 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Fanblock (speaking directly)General Vagueness 12/6/09 5:50 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Fanblock (speaking directly)Bry 12/6/09 7:55 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Fanblock (speaking directly)Hedgemony 12/6/09 8:10 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Fanblock (speaking directly)Quirel 12/6/09 9:56 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Fanblock (speaking directly)Azo 'Galvat 12/6/09 10:09 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Apocalypse now, thank you *NM*Hedgemony 12/6/09 10:13 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Apocalypse now, thank youQuirel 12/6/09 10:25 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Outstanding, outstandingHedgemony 12/6/09 10:59 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Outstanding, outstandingQuirel 12/6/09 11:48 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Apocalypse now, thank youAzo 'Galvat 12/6/09 10:37 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Fanblock (speaking directly)Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 12/6/09 4:18 p.m.
     Re: FanblockAngelicLionheart 12/6/09 7:13 p.m.
           Re: FanblockQuirel 12/7/09 10:53 a.m.
                 Re: FanblockAngelicLionheart 12/8/09 3:55 p.m.
                       Re: FanblockQuirel 12/8/09 10:22 p.m.
                             Re: FanblockSilent Knight 12/9/09 4:58 a.m.
                                   Re: FanblockLeisandir 12/9/09 9:20 a.m.
                                         Re: FanblockBry 12/9/09 9:40 a.m.
                                               HBO: To serve fan. *NM*Stuntmutt 12/9/09 1:11 p.m.
                                                     Re: HBO: To serve fan.Louis Wu 12/9/09 1:30 p.m.
                                                           Re: HBO: To serve fan.AngelicLionheart 12/9/09 3:20 p.m.
                                                                 Don't eat me, I'm chewy!!! DX *NM*Gilver 12/9/09 3:31 p.m.
                                                                       We need a larger gummi bear population *NM*Silent Knight 12/9/09 4:25 p.m.
                                                           Beware, the Wu is hungry.BlueNinja 12/10/09 6:25 a.m.
                                                                 It is dark...General Vagueness 12/10/09 12:20 p.m.
                                   Re: FanblockAngelicLionheart 12/11/09 4:49 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.