Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: bungie burnout
Posted By: Roger Wilco <jordan@edelldesigns.com>Date: 5/26/06 2:32 p.m.

In Response To: Re: bungie burnout (Narcogen)

: Saved it from what? Just out of curiosity. I have my own answers, but I'm
: interested as to what yours are.

: Bungie was already on the map-- just a different map. They were the
: undisputed #1 Mac game developer, and a critically acclaimed PC games
: developer. Myth won several game of the year awards. In some ways, that
: game still impresses me more than Halo, perhaps because it's more of a
: break, genre-wise, with its antecedents than Halo is, which is a pretty
: conventional FPS with vehicle play. Halo's success lies in its execution,
: whereas Myth was not only well executed, but categorically different from
: nearly all the similar games at the time, in terms of gameplay and
: interface.

Saved it from what?...well in a wort case scenario, extinction. Even succesful developers fall on hard times (Atari), some disappear all together with nothing left but an auction site of thier IP (Acclaim). A development studio is an expensive thing to run and you need a pretty substantial hit (and now, franchise)to maintain one at a reasonable level of staff and equipment. The last company I worked for went from 40 employees to 8 in a matter of weeks primarily due to one project running over budget and deadline.

The point being that even a company with a one or two games that are doing well in the market may not always be sustainable. Halo sans MS may have dragged on for years and bankrupted Bungie. It may have been completed and done well and still not been enough to keep them afloat. Or it may have made a ton of money that they then blew on Pimps at Sea which flopped and sank them.

Everything may have turned out peachy. We'll never know because ultimately Microsoft saved them from having to worry about any of that. Bungies position within MS provides security and stability, maybe the two things artists need most to preform at thier best.

Actually, to say that Microsoft saved Bungie is a bit unfair...Bungie also saved themselves.

: What's the Bungie Webmaster got to do with this?

Move along people, nothing to see here.

: Yeah, I really wouldn't want to be Valve right now. Half-Life, Half-Life 2,
: CounterStrike, Counter-Strike source, all the expansion packs and
: community mods; other companies licensing your engine for their own games.

: Wait, what was wrong with Valve again?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Valve but Valve is in a unique position. HL1 may have been profitable but in combination with Counter Strike provided a plush life raft on which to float peacefully until the masterpeice was done. HL2 is a great game but is it 6 years great? Valve, like Bungie like many other companies are perfectionists and as such will work and tweak and fret endlessly without some external prerssure to meet a deadline. That's all I'm really saying. If MS hadn't put some scope on H2 when would it have been done?

: I've wondered whether the long silence before confirming Halo 3 was, in fact,
: an assertion of Bungie's ability to "push back" after Bill Gates
: spoke out of turn and promised Halo 3 to counter the PS3.

I just don't get the secrecy. Everyone knew what they were working on. They knew we knew. We knew they knew we knew. So what gives? If it was some sort of internal pissing contest then whatever. It was meant to have some PR effect then it didn't accomplish much IMO. I don't think this type of situation can ever really work in your favor. My reaction was something akin to "Oh, the announcement...the biiiiig secret...this better be freaking amazing."

In that context it was underwhelming and I just don't see what was gained with all the secrecy.

: Just a thought.

Message Index

Replies:

bungie burnoutvisibledetritus 5/25/06 7:30 p.m.
     Re: bungie burnoutFrankie 5/25/06 7:47 p.m.
           Re: bungie burnoutUrsusArctos 5/25/06 8:08 p.m.
           Hogan's Heroes...Pratch™ 5/25/06 8:20 p.m.
                 Allard was right, Fries was wrong.JakeDaGreat 5/25/06 8:53 p.m.
                       Re: Allard was right, Fries was wrong.visibledetritus 5/25/06 8:57 p.m.
                             Re: Allard was right, Fries was wrong.MSN 5/25/06 9:25 p.m.
                                   Re: Allard was right, Fries was wrong.visibledetritus 5/25/06 10:54 p.m.
                                   Real Artists ShipNarcogen 5/26/06 1:29 a.m.
                                         Re: Real Artists ShipCount Zero 5/26/06 12:36 p.m.
                                               Not to mentionPratch™ 5/26/06 12:50 p.m.
     Re: bungie burnoutRoger Wilco 5/25/06 9:15 p.m.
           Re: bungie burnoutRade 5/25/06 10:31 p.m.
                 HarshNarcogen 5/26/06 1:41 a.m.
           Re: bungie burnoutNarcogen 5/26/06 1:35 a.m.
                 Re: bungie burnoutRoger Wilco 5/26/06 2:32 p.m.
     Re: IMO: somebody missed the boat *really LONG*gspawn 5/26/06 8:08 a.m.
           Don't worry, one comes along every 5 minutesNarcogen 5/26/06 10:18 a.m.
                 Re: Don't worry, one comes along every 5 minutesMatt 5/26/06 10:28 a.m.
                       Re: Don't worry, one comes along every 5 minutesNarcogen 5/26/06 10:38 a.m.
                             Re: Don't worry, one comes along every 5 minutesMatt 5/26/06 11:02 a.m.
                                   Re: Don't worry, one comes along every 5 minutesNarcogen 5/26/06 12:01 p.m.
                       Re:The three levels dealShortRoundMcfly 5/26/06 12:08 p.m.
                             Re:The three levels dealCount Zero 5/26/06 12:42 p.m.
                             Re:The three levels dealNarcogen 5/26/06 1:16 p.m.
                 Re: Don't worry, one comes along every 5 minutesMSN 5/26/06 10:59 a.m.
                       LIES!Pratch™ 5/26/06 11:45 a.m.
                       RefutationNarcogen 5/26/06 11:54 a.m.
                             Re: RefutationMSN 5/26/06 9:06 p.m.
                                   Re: RefutationNarcogen 5/26/06 9:58 p.m.
                 Re: Don't worry, one comes along every 5 minutesMa1agate 5/26/06 1:00 p.m.
                       So why not...Pratch™ 5/26/06 1:27 p.m.
                             Re: So why not...Ma1agate 5/26/06 2:07 p.m.
                                   By all meansPratch™ 5/26/06 2:29 p.m.
                                         Well...Pratch™ 5/26/06 2:43 p.m.
           Re: IMO: somebody missed the boat *really LONG*Matt 5/26/06 10:22 a.m.
                 Re: IMO: somebody missed the boat *really LONG*Narcogen 5/26/06 10:40 a.m.
                       Re: IMO: somebody missed the boat *really LONG*Sep7imus [subnova] 5/26/06 12:42 p.m.
                       Re: IMO: somebody missed the boat *really LONG*KP 5/26/06 1:23 p.m.
                             Re: IMO: somebody missed the boat *really LONG*Louis Wu 5/26/06 1:42 p.m.
                                   Re: IMO: somebody missed the boat *really LONG*Narcogen 5/26/06 3:22 p.m.
                       Re: IMO: somebody missed the boat *really LONG*UrsusArctos 5/26/06 8:33 p.m.
     Re: bungie burnoutTwelve Large 5/26/06 10:41 p.m.
           Re: bungie burnoutNarcogen 5/27/06 6:55 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.