Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: MLG writeup, sorta...A party......
Posted By: IAmDelta <mikemello176@juno.com>Date: 2/26/04 11:27 p.m.

In Response To: MLG writeup, sorta...A party...... ('Nosolee)

I'm not quite sure what I have to say, but I'm going to start writing and see where I end up.

I started Halo with only SP (one XBox, one controller, and nobody to play with). Now I've introduced my friends to the game, many of them have XBoxes, we manage to steal a hub from somebody's home network each week, and I play MP pretty much every weekend for about 16 hours straight (all nighter Friday to Saturday).

I have never been to a tourney or played online so I assume overall I'm pretty bad, but among our small devoted group, I'm the best player. Sometimes people get pissed off and do the good old naming thing (one time the opposing team consisted of Delta Sucks, Screw Delta, Fuck Delta, and Delta is Gay). Of course this is annoying at first, but then you realize how much more annoyed they must be, and you smile and say "Man, I'm worth naming an entire team of insults after."

But when you are winning, it is easy to have a positive outlook. There's no way around it: it sucks to lose. But I try to lose with grace. The best example is my friend Obsidian, who is completely emotionless when he plays. It helps keep us all in check. I kill him and launch off some insult and he just keeps playing. This keeps me focused on killing rather than insulting. And when he kills somebody, still no sound. If I get pissed I start sucking, so it's nice that he doesn't rub these things in. Except for when he slaughters somebody repeatedly and they yell "Die!" The response: "That's not in my programming." I always liked that one.

I find that cameraderie develops more on a losing team than a winning team. After a particularly difficult CTF match, I'm real close with my 3 teamates, while the other four are the dehumanized and hated enemy. This is when you play a little FFA to even things out again, and then switch up teams. And then you might wind up hating the guys you loved an hour ago.

I guess this so far sounds like it supports the serious player over the "fun" player. 'Nosolee, I also know where you are coming from. But I think that the problem is not that serious players are worse than "fun" players, or vice versa. It is a compatibility thing, a sort of general mood. With friends, its easy to judge the mood. If the other team is quiet and focused, its not the time to be jacking off. But if they're just having fun, you should have fun too.

Case in point: Last week I played with people I don't normally play with, and consequently it didn't go so well. I showed up all gung ho to kick some ass and got made fun of because of it. Then I started goofing around and they decided to get serious and bitched at me again. These conflicts caused all gaming to grind to a halt around 2 in the morning, which is incredibly early for us. The other guys wanted to go to bed (another difference), and it wasn't until they fell asleep and me and some of my guys got to play a few CTF matches that I actually started having fun. The next morning we were a little better attuned to each other, and had a lot more fun.

So I think that's how I'd like to sum this up. There are times to be serious, and times to have fun. Knowing when to do each is something learned with experience, but it also requires careful observation of the climate of the game you are in. If taunts are flying all over, go ahead, have some fun, and do some taunting of your own (because you know its fun). But if a team respects yours enough to make a serious attempt at beating you (obviously you must be decent or it wouldn't be necessary), then you should offer them the same courtesy.

Nothing brings me down more than when I'm going all hardcore in, say, an Oddball match and keep getting slaughtered by guys who don't care about the ball or winning, but just want to kill people. Why the hell would I try to win if nobody else is? This kills any game, and such a problem should be avoided at all costs. If they are good players, the other guys will adjust to make the game interesting (like try to take the damn ball), or if they are just jerks, make a concession and slaughter them in some FFA Slayer to satiate their desires.

Playing with friends is fun because friends adjust to each other's mood constantly and subconsciously. But when you play with people you don't know, give yourself some time to figure them out. Concentrate not on killing but on seeing what the other guys do. If they get pissed because you slaughter them, play a team game and put them on your team so that they have some positive background with you (of course this is relevant at a tourney, but it illustrates a point). If they taunt after every kill and bitch after every death, do the same (maybe minus the bitching). And if they're out to win, you sure as hell better be too.

'Nosolee, if your guys had gotten serious when the other team was, then you could have held your head high, shaken their hands, and complimented them on a good game. Yes, they could have also played fun with you and beaten you by 5 frags instead of 25, but it seems to me that the overriding goal of everybody at a tourney is to win money. This doesn't mean that if you don't win you don't have any fun. You can be proud of the fact that you played your best and learned from the experience, which is fun I assure you. Damn. I sound like some wishy-washy shrink. That means its time for bed. Thanks for reading.

-Delta

Play well the game; there all the honor lies.

Message Index

Replies:

MLG writeup, sorta...A party......'Nosolee 2/26/04 9:10 a.m.
     Wow... I feel bad...Malcoren 2/26/04 9:32 a.m.
           It's a HOLY war...TriGun 2/26/04 12:23 p.m.
                 Well THAT narrows it down...Malcoren 2/26/04 2:50 p.m.
           Re: Wow... I feel bad...Caelux 1 2/26/04 1:59 p.m.
     Re: MLG writeup, sorta...A party......Some Random Guy 2/26/04 9:44 a.m.
     fun, hmm...'Nosolee 2/26/04 10:01 a.m.
     Re: MLG writeup, sorta...A party......Alabast 2/26/04 10:24 a.m.
     Re: MLG writeup, sorta...A party......XLNC 2/26/04 10:36 a.m.
           Re: MLG writeup, sorta...A party......Infininja 2/26/04 7:47 p.m.
     Some related OT XBL thoughtsFree at Last (at work) 2/26/04 12:03 p.m.
           Re: Some related OT XBL thoughtsDooDudoo 2/26/04 8:42 p.m.
     Re: MLG writeup, sorta...A party......KookyBastard32 2/26/04 12:12 p.m.
     consider yourself luckyMiguel Chavez 2/26/04 12:40 p.m.
           you sure?godsownantisonofabitchmachine 2/26/04 1:36 p.m.
                 Re: you sure?Miguel Chavez 2/26/04 2:05 p.m.
                 Re: you sure?Malcoren 2/26/04 3:02 p.m.
                       Re: you sure?XLNC 2/26/04 4:33 p.m.
                 haha, i love causing controversy'Nosolee 2/26/04 3:28 p.m.
                       Re: haha, i love causing controversynof 2/26/04 3:53 p.m.
                             Re: haha, i love causing controversy'Nosolee 2/26/04 4:30 p.m.
                 Re: you sure?'Nosolee 2/26/04 3:42 p.m.
                       typo'Nosolee 2/26/04 3:47 p.m.
                       lolgodsownantisonofabitchmachine 2/26/04 3:54 p.m.
     Re: MLG writeup, sorta...A party......Lebowski 2/26/04 12:45 p.m.
     Re: MLG writeup, sorta...A party......da_master_chief 2/26/04 1:00 p.m.
     no sir, I don't like it...nof 2/26/04 1:30 p.m.
           Re: no sir, I don't like it...godsownantisonofabitchmachine 2/26/04 1:42 p.m.
           Re: no sir, I don't like it...Dan Chosich 2/26/04 2:40 p.m.
           Re: no sir, I don't like it...Syracuse022 2/28/04 11:55 a.m.
     Re: MLG writeup, sorta...A party......CheesyBread 2/26/04 2:44 p.m.
           Re: MLG writeup, sorta...A party......M9-HE_DP 2/26/04 8:09 p.m.
                 Yes, I do'Nosolee 2/26/04 9:22 p.m.
                       Re: Yes, I doM9-HE_DP 3/25/04 12:10 p.m.
     Re: MLG writeup, sorta...A party......Ducain 2/26/04 6:48 p.m.
           Re: MLG writeup, sorta...A party......DrunkCoW 2/26/04 10:53 p.m.
     Halo=life//YourPost=SourGrapesScipio 2/26/04 11:25 p.m.
     Re: MLG writeup, sorta...A party......IAmDelta 2/26/04 11:27 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.