/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 1/4/08 8:44 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2 (Document)

: I'm still posting comments at http://webpages.ursinus.edu/annagy/exfc.txt
: periodically, but you might not want to wait for me to get around to
: finishing the whole scenario.

Ah there's some good newish stuff there...

: * Is it intentional or/and unavoidable that melee Fighters still drop projectile staff ammo?

Unavoidable, as the Pfhor weapons are their own ammo (well, there's some funky conversion between them going on via Lua scripting). Only alternative would be to have projectile fighters drop ammo only, and melee fighters drop staves that aren't usable as ammo... but then there would be a lot of unused staves lying around.

: * I was going to complain that the clip size of the staff seems absurdly large in gameplay terms,
: but I guess the fact that you can't use the staff at all once your ammo runs out justifies it.

Eh? Do you mean the weapon disappears after use, instead of reloading from the ammo you've already got? If so, can you pick up another one afterward? Or do you just mean that if you're completely out of ammo for the staff, you can't use it's melee attack until you pick up more ammo (i.e. another staff)? Either one of those are bugs, but the latter is very minor (maybe even how it should be) and the former is huge...

Nevermind, checked myself. It's the latter. Though it shouldn't be, because the triggers don't share ammo, it doesn't disappear after use, and it doesn't actually use itself as ammo (it just gets converted into ammo via Lua). So seeing as it's so minor and I have no idea why it happens, I'm gonna leave it alone.

: * The right side of the HUD says "fusion pistols" even when you only have one.

Unavoidable, unless I were to make it say "Fusion Pistol" when you have two also. There's only one string for use there.

: * I don't think I've seen a scenario that changes the player's starting ammo allotment before.
: Is that MML?

Yep. Though you just made me notice that the MML starts the player with 5 batteries, but he picks up 7 on the prologue.... I meant for those to be the same number. Think I'll change the MML.

Also, testing that just now I found a bug on my own, though I'm not sure if it's new or old or even if it's a game bug or an engine bug: you can walk right through the semitransparent walls that border the two big octagonal elevators on Far Side...

: == The Far Side of Nowhere:
: * If the scenario is still nonlinear, it seems like it would be a good idea to have some kind of
: "Important note on level progression" file in the game folder.

That's a possibility. I originally planned to have a complete user manual / player's guide thing in there. Maybe I'll put something like that together before I call it done.

: * Does the naming of the player ever actually come into the plot or anything? I notice it's already
: made one tester go wtf.

It's just so that Hathor can refer to you on a first-name basis. She needs to be able to do so to develop the level of intimacy between your characters that I wanted. Notice how nobody else ever uses your name, or any other name for you? Even when speaking to each other about you in the third person. They just say "hello", "go do this", "good work" or "that was stupid" or "I'm going to kill you", or "our friend here" or some such in the third person. But only Hathor ever refers to you by name.

: == Pfhoryngitis in RC1:
: * I seem to be getting trapped between polygons 350 and 351 when the crusher comes down.

I can't seem to reproduce that.

: * too many empty underwater tunnels to explore?

By design. It's an exploration level.

: * There's this one ceiling texture that's basically small light squares tiled, about 8x8 per texture
: repeat. The problem with this is that in a sufficiently large room, the mipmap blurs it into a uniform
: white ceiling that looks like an open sky. Maybe they should be made larger?

Can't, those light tiles are used all over for detailing, making them bigger would make all those details look shitty. Don's choice of texturing here... I don't think it's a big problem.

: * Still not digging the underwater waterfalls.

Don't know what to do about them.

: * What exactly is the non-crushing crusher at polygons 356-358?

Dunno. Crushes shit? (Literally; these are sewers). Ask Don.

: == Dysmentria in RC2.0.2:
: * Could you make the elevator at polygon 708 more visible?

Done.

: * I guess the windows at polygons 809 and 813 are actually holograms?

Why do you say that?

: * Did M1 Enforcers always attack each other when provoked to?

Hmm... I didn't change their Berserk tags, but let me check... Oh interesting. It's not Berserk, they're just not marked 'friends' with anybody but Juggernauts. I think maybe I meant for them to fire on other Pfhor when they got out of line, as M1 claimed they did (though they really didn't). I think I'll make them friends with each other at least...

: * The two doors in polygon 937 pulsate.

I think most of the doors on this map pulsate, and that Goran designed it that way... but it's always bugged me too, so I've changed it now.

: * The splashes in Pfhor slime don't seem to quite match the color; they're more dark red instead of
: fuschia.

Fixed... although unless there are more shapes bugs somewhere, this will be the one thing which makes FC3 a complete 200ish-meg download instead of just a new map file. So if anyone complains, it's your fault ;-)

: * How do I get up on polygon 839?

You don't.

: * Most of the slime-filled polygons seem to have slime as the floor texture as well as the surface
: texture; intentional? (Examples: 972-973, 975-978.)

I think so. All of Goran's Pfhor-goo shallows seem to be that way, on this map and others.

: * Is there an O2 charger anywhere on this level? I didn't see one on Pfhoryngitis.

I don't think so. Does there need to be? Your oxygen is supposed to automatically recharge when you're in atmosphere now, so it should be full up by the time you're done with Dysmentria and headed in to Sahkmet, no matter how long you stayed underwater on Pfhoryngitis.

: * Punching doesn't trigger the switch by polygon 875.

Because the Troopers in there would hit it with grenades sometimes and prematurely open those doors.

: * Troopers killed by explosions still drop weapons. Avoidable or/and intentional?

Unavoidable: Troopers don't and never have had hard death sequences, even in the original trilogy. I take it their armor keeps their guts in (and their guns are just tough).

: == Sakhmet:
: * The purple compliers' bolts seem to be green with a yellow tail, instead of all yellow as in M1.
: Intentional? ( http://webpages.ursinus.edu/annagy/img/sphtbolt.png )

No, but now that you point it out, I like it.

: * The switch between 324 and 334 doesn't light up.
: ** Same with the one between 553 and 556. Is it something you've tried to solve and failed, then?

I seem to recall failing to fix this bug a long time ago, yes. Anybody have any suggestions? It's minor enough I feel I can ignore it, if not.

: * Try to catch Wasps attacking underwater in FC2.

I'm still not sure why they even *go* underwater. They're not marked as unafraid of it... I think that means they should avoid it given the choice. But instead they follow you in... Did Drones do this in the original trilogy?

: * Test fusion pistol underwater.

I wouldn't recommend it. Hurts like a motherfSHAFT. Damn right.

: * Get proof that monsters can walk normally in fast-moving liquid.

Seen it before all over Thondom, it's just a Marathon weirdness. Monsters aren't affected by current.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Eternal X Final Candidate 2Forrest of B.org 12/30/07 4:12 p.m.
     Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2Blake37 12/30/07 4:36 p.m.
           Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2Forrest of B.org 12/30/07 5:02 p.m.
                 Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2Blake37 12/30/07 6:17 p.m.
                       Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2Forrest of B.org 12/30/07 9:06 p.m.
                             Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2Blake37 12/31/07 5:52 a.m.
                                   Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2Forrest of B.org 12/31/07 7:55 a.m.
                                         Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2patrick 12/31/07 10:16 a.m.
                                               Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2Forrest of B.org 12/31/07 1:20 p.m.
                                                     Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2patrick 12/31/07 2:03 p.m.
                                                           Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2patrick 12/31/07 2:36 p.m.
                                                                 err, I mean 'My Kingdom Pfhor A Horse', poly 687 *NM*patrick 12/31/07 3:04 p.m.
                                                           WinRAR unzipped it fine for me. *NM*Document 12/31/07 4:01 p.m.
                 Waiting for confirmation of upload. *NM*Document 12/30/07 6:18 p.m.
     Argh!Forrest of B.org 1/1/08 2:09 a.m.
           Can you also upload just the map file? *NM*Document 1/1/08 6:54 a.m.
                 Re: Can you also upload just the map file?Document 1/1/08 6:57 a.m.
                       Re: Can you also upload just the map file?Forrest of B.org 1/1/08 2:41 p.m.
           Re: Argh!Blake37 1/1/08 9:47 a.m.
           bungie.org appears to be having server trouble. *NM*Document 1/1/08 10:25 a.m.
     Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2Marathoner325 1/1/08 4:15 p.m.
     Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2SnowCrash 1/4/08 9:32 a.m.
           Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2Forrest of B.org 1/4/08 11:13 a.m.
                 I intend on going through it next week. *NM*patrick 1/4/08 1:24 p.m.
                 Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2Document 1/4/08 2:50 p.m.
                       Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2Forrest of B.org 1/4/08 8:44 p.m.
                             Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2Document 1/6/08 2:31 p.m.
                             Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2D-M.A. 1/6/08 3:06 p.m.
                                   Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2Document 1/6/08 3:17 p.m.
                                         Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2D-M.A. 1/6/08 3:18 p.m.
                                               Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2treellama 1/6/08 4:27 p.m.
                                                     Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2D-M.A. 1/6/08 7:48 p.m.
                             Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2Document 1/16/08 6:41 p.m.
                                   Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2kyjel 1/16/08 7:58 p.m.
                                   Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2Document 1/17/08 12:22 p.m.
                                         Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2Marathoner325 1/17/08 5:14 p.m.
                                               Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2Forrest of B.org 1/17/08 6:12 p.m.
                                                     Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2kyjel 1/17/08 8:13 p.m.
                                                     Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2Marathoner325 1/18/08 6:09 a.m.
                             Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2Document 2/5/08 4:37 a.m.
                 Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2Elderman 1/5/08 8:06 a.m.
                       Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2Forrest of B.org 1/5/08 4:00 p.m.
                             Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2bluewpc 1/5/08 4:53 p.m.
                                   Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2Forrest of B.org 1/6/08 2:47 a.m.
                                         Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2bluewpc 1/6/08 6:42 a.m.
                                               Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2Forrest of B.org 1/6/08 10:50 a.m.
                             Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2Elderman 1/6/08 5:14 a.m.
                                   Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2Forrest of B.org 1/6/08 11:11 a.m.
                                         Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2Elderman 1/7/08 6:04 a.m.
                                               Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2Elderman 1/9/08 3:48 a.m.
                 Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2SnowCrash 1/7/08 11:48 a.m.
                       Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2Forrest of B.org 1/7/08 11:02 p.m.
                             Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2SnowCrash 1/8/08 12:04 a.m.
                             Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2SnowCrash 1/8/08 5:30 a.m.
                                   Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2SnowCrash 1/8/08 6:09 a.m.
                                         Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2SnowCrash 1/8/08 8:05 a.m.
                                               Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2Forrest of B.org 1/8/08 8:19 a.m.
                                                     Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2Forrest of B.org 1/8/08 10:15 a.m.
                                                           Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2SnowCrash 1/8/08 12:46 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2Forrest of B.org 1/8/08 1:19 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2Forrest of B.org 1/8/08 11:07 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2SnowCrash 1/9/08 1:24 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2Forrest of B.org 1/9/08 3:40 p.m.
                       Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2Forrest of B.org 1/10/08 8:05 p.m.
                             Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2SnowCrash 1/11/08 2:08 a.m.
     Re: Eternal X Final Candidate 2Tek 1/9/08 5:24 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.