/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: W'rkncacnter and timelines
Posted By: IcarusDate: 11/30/06 11:23 a.m.

In Response To: Re: W'rkncacnter and timelines (Frungi)

: Using MI-style time-travel, I expect it would go more like this: we get in a
: fight, you win, walk away, and BLAM! Now instead of me, you’re fighting
: Madonna and Nixon in a free-for-all. Why? Who knows?

: Seriously, that’s how I thought MI’s time-travel worked, since you don’t go
: back to the Marathon each time and start over. You’re just there,
: teleported through the ether (which is what I named the 5th dimension
: perpendicular to timelines). Don’t know what happens to the [?you] that
: was there [?before] you, though.

: Actually, if a being of pure chaos were capable of time-travel, I wouldn’t be
: surprised if it could unmake timelines. But then there’s no reason it
: wasn’t causing all sorts of havoc before* being released in MI’s alternate
: timelines, so maybe they can’t time-travel.

: *Before being released, relative to the timeline. After being released,
: relative to the W’rk, assuming they experience time in any comprehensible
: way.

: Is it possible, or even conceivable, that in one huge multi-time
: loop-the-loop, this W’rk war was responsible for the creation of Time, or
: even the entire universe? I imagine they made a pretty big bang.

I believe that time travel and alternate universes go hand in hand. Every possible outcome of every possible situation has its own universe. For example, there is an entire universe identical to this one with the exception that I am one inch taller, and there is also a universe in which the Earth has been destroyed and humanity doesn't exist, etc. Every possibility has its own universe. Time travel, in my opinion has absolutely nothing to do with time, it is simply a means by which to switch universes. Think about it, every moment that occurs in "time" is a set reality that differs from the one before it. If I shoot a bullet, it is not the bullet moving fluidly through time and space, but a series of realities in which the bullet is at different positions, these realities piled on top of one another create a composite event, events and occurences pile upon one another to create a universal structure complete with causality, logic, and all other such universe building tools.

Now apply this in a macroscopic sense. To use the cliche grandfather paradox, If I travel back in time to kill my grandfather before my father was born will I cease to exist? "I" as it pertains to the consciousness that chooses to kill the grandfather will continue existence in the new reality, however, the "I" that exists in the previous reality (the one I traveled from) will cease. Why? Because now that I have altered the structure of reality (in general) the links between the universe I left and the universe i now exist in will be irrevocably altered. Multi-linear timelines CAN be undone, but only through destruction (which really changes nothing) because, lets say that there are 2 universes completely identical to this except in one im and inch taller and in the other im an inch shorter; if i leave this universe through time-travel and go and kill the other mes in the 2 universes then return to this one it would inherently destroy both universes because they would become identical. They would collapse upon themselves.

In the Marathon univese I believe the predominant trait of the W'rks, chaos, is not chaos by our definition of disorder, but in fact chaos of the ancient definition. The orignial defining trait of chaos derived from mythology is void or nothingness. This can be applied to the theory of an infinite universe in such a way that existence is near infinite but ultimately limited (this includes all possible timelines, universes, ideas, matter, enrergy, .etc). Beyond existence is nonexistence which IS infinite since nonexistence occupies no physical or mental (try imagining nothing) space it lies outside the sphere of existence with its only trait being infinity. The W'rks exist obviously but they exist on the edge of nonexistence or chaos, this is what bestows them with the traits we have come to theorize.

In conclusion,

1. It is impossible for a W'rk to unravel a timeline because for it to do so it must exist, if it exists it is subject to the same rules as every other existent being no matter how far it can stretch them (laws of physics dont apply), so ultimately a W'rk could fracture time/space and destroy alternate universes by forcing their collapse but could not really change existence/time/the universe itself.

2. It is impossible for a W'rk war to have created the universe and or time for the same reason as above, since they exist in some sense they are too close to the problem. Like an electron trying to change the whole atom.

3. Where have the Jjaro gone? They transcended first, their world, then their galaxy, then the universe. They ascended into perpetual non-existence. On this path they encountered the W'rks at the metaphorical edge of existence and as such became at odds with them until they (Jjaro) surpassed the universe itself.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

W'rkncacnter and timelinesFrungi 11/28/06 10:01 p.m.
     Re: W'rkncacnter and timelinesForrest of B.org 11/29/06 7:12 a.m.
           Re: W'rkncacnter and timelinesFrungi 11/29/06 8:45 a.m.
                 Re: W'rkncacnter and timelinesForrest of B.org 11/29/06 12:09 p.m.
                       Re: W'rkncacnter and timelinesFrungi 11/29/06 4:55 p.m.
                             Re: W'rkncacnter and timelinesFrungi 11/29/06 5:06 p.m.
                                   Re: W'rkncacnter and timelinesForrest of B.org 11/29/06 10:33 p.m.
                                         Re: W'rkncacnter and timelinesForrest of B.org 11/29/06 10:39 p.m.
                                               Re: W'rkncacnter and timelinesFrungi 11/30/06 7:23 a.m.
                                                     Re: W'rkncacnter and timelinesIcarus 11/30/06 11:23 a.m.
                                                           Re: W'rkncacnter and timelinesForrest of B.org 11/30/06 1:48 p.m.
                                                                 Inane timelines questionFrungi 11/30/06 4:28 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Inane timelines questionForrest of B.org 12/1/06 7:49 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Inane timelines questionFrungi 12/1/06 8:32 p.m.
                                                           Re: W'rkncacnter and timelinesFrungi 11/30/06 4:32 p.m.
                                                                 Re: W'rkncacnter and timelinesIcarus 12/5/06 12:03 p.m.
                                                                 Re: W'rkncacnter and timelinesIcarus 12/5/06 12:04 p.m.
                                                                       Re: W'rkncacnter and timelinesIcarus 12/5/06 12:06 p.m.
                                                                             I thought that was your job. ;) *NM*MrHen 12/5/06 12:09 p.m.
                                                                       Re: W'rkncacnter and timelinesFrungi 12/5/06 4:05 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.