Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Holography and memory
Posted By: Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) <sumpca@yahoo.com>Date: 4/29/08 8:50 a.m.

In Response To: No, up to a point, then yes (Jillybean)

: I think that your theory falls down when it comes to the small parts. One
: spore could not possibly contain the intelligence of the whole Flood. I
: doubt one spore contains the intelligence of a combat form. To me spores
: are mindless.

Holography has a very interesting property. Unlike a conventional photograph, if you break a holographic "plate" and look at one piece you still get a whole image... just with less resolution.

For example, if I broke a holograph and a photograph of a Warthog and took a piece of each from where the front-right hubcap would be, in the photographic fragment I'd get a full-resolution image of the front-right hubcap. In the holographic fragment, on the other hand, I'd get a much smaller and blurrier image of the whole Warthog.

What if Flood memory works like that? Each Infection Form would then contain not just a limited puzzle piece of the Flood compound mind, but a vaguer and less-distinct capture of the whole. Get enough together and you get a more complete capture, with sharper memories. Build a Brain Form, and then the coordinated fragments can not only add their memories arithmetically but also the combined intellect can interpolate the deeper details. And voila, the Gravemind arises from his multimillenial imprisonment in a new body but with the memories of the old.

-- Steve's been mulling over the idea for a while; it ain't perfect (as there would be losses in memory from the loss of individual Flood forms) but it does look shiny and nifty. Plus it does explain Gravemind's grumpiness... being torn into millions of pieces and left on a shelf for so long wouldn't make for pleasant dreams.

The Northwest London Gamers' Group

Message Index

Replies:

On the nature of the Compound Mind *very long*Cthulhu117 4/26/08 8:57 p.m.
     Re: On the nature of the Compound Mind *very long*DHalo 4/26/08 9:07 p.m.
           Re: On the nature of the Compound Mind *very long*General Battuta 4/26/08 10:15 p.m.
                 Re: On the nature of the Compound Mind *very long*Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 4/27/08 10:40 a.m.
                 Re: On the nature of the Compound Mind *very long*7isdarker 4/27/08 9:34 p.m.
           Re: On the nature of the Compound Mind *very long*Cthulhu117 4/27/08 7:09 a.m.
                 Re: On the nature of the Compound Mind *very long*DHalo 4/27/08 8:09 a.m.
                       Re: On the nature of the Compound Mind *very long*Cthulhu117 4/27/08 9:24 a.m.
                             Re: On the nature of the Compound Mind *very long*DHalo 4/27/08 10:02 a.m.
                                   Re: On the nature of the Compound Mind *very long*DHalo 4/27/08 10:03 a.m.
                                         Re: On the nature of the Compound Mind *very long*Cthulhu117 4/27/08 1:56 p.m.
     No, up to a point, then yesJillybean 4/27/08 3:48 p.m.
           Re: No, up to a point, then yesCarbonElite 4/28/08 7:20 p.m.
                 Re: No, up to a point, then yesDHalo 4/28/08 8:50 p.m.
                       Re: No, up to a point, then yesCarbonElite 4/28/08 10:06 p.m.
                             Re: No, up to a point, then yesJillybean 4/29/08 8:06 a.m.
           Holography and memoryAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 4/29/08 8:50 a.m.
                 Re: Holography and memoryJillybean 4/29/08 2:31 p.m.
                       Re: Holography and memoryAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 4/29/08 3:32 p.m.
                             correction...Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 4/29/08 4:02 p.m.
                                   Re: correction...Don 4/29/08 6:02 p.m.
                                         Re: correction...Don 4/29/08 6:27 p.m.
           Re: No, up to a point, then yesdeadguy71 4/29/08 10:35 a.m.
     Has anyone read...stan 4/27/08 7:39 p.m.
           Re: Has anyone read...Cthulhu117 4/28/08 2:48 p.m.
     GM is the Leveller.... *NM*SinisterSamurai 4/29/08 2:48 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.