Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: My Halo 3 review (finally).
Posted By: Gravemind <kuukan_no_kage@yahoo.com>Date: 4/23/08 4:14 a.m.

In Response To: Re: My Halo 3 review (finally). (Vandle Valsher)

: However, I believe your logic is flawed. It seems to me that you think that
: if something doesn't take much skill to use, like the melee system, then
: it must be broken somehow. I get the feeling that you think Halo is all
: about skill. That the person who has the most should get his way.

The problem with the melee lunge is that it takes away any effort whatsoever on the part of the player. Once the player is within range, he presses B and the computer automatically hurls him bodily into his opponent. In Halo 2, the lunge was horribly random, which was bad and very not-fun. In Halo 3, the lunge is guaranteed to connect, which is also bad. Why should the player always land a melee if he's within range? Why should there be no timing involved? Halo 1's non-lunging melees were fine. It was all on the player to land the hit. It wasn't like it was some arduous task. Landing a melee was easy, and at least the computer wasn't doing most of the work, and it took a small degree of timing and effort from the player. It wasn't automatic, nor was it random (like in Halo 2 or pre-update Halo 3). Simply facing your opponent and jamming B wasn't good enough. Halo 1's melee system was simple, it worked, and it didn't hold the player's hand and help them out.

Tell me. Are we as gamers so far gone that we have to have assistance from the computer to perform a task as simple as meleeing someone? Is that what gaming has finally come to?

: Let's try to think about this from the perspective of the less than skilled
: player (this coming from a 45).

: If you had your way and Bungie removed the lunge, effectively nerfing the
: melee system so that only very skilled players could actually use it, then
: less skilled players who tried to melee would simply not be able to do it.
: They wouldn't be able to time it properly and they would always fall to
: the more skilled player such as yourself.

: Now you're happy. Now the most skilled player always wins. But now the less
: skilled player isn't having any fun. It seems like a perfect world from
: your perspective with skill always being the determining factor. In a
: competitive world, this is heaven.

We always seemed to have fun in Halo 1 LANs without lunging melees. People seem to be having a blast with CoD4, which doesn't have lunging melees. Lots of other FPSs don't have lunges either, and people have fun playing them.

In any case, if someone is so terrible that they can't even execute a melee attack without the computer doing a good chunk of the work for him, then screw him. Let him sit in the lower ranks on XBL or get stomped in LANs by everyone else. Hell, a person who couldn't even melee without benefit of a lunge would probably need to go back and practice on Campaign with it set to Easy. Someone with coordination that poor would need it. It's not like only the uber-pro could melee someone in Halo 1. Your statement that "nerfing the melee system so that only very skilled players could actually use it, then less skilled players who tried to melee would simply not be able to do it" is silly. Anybody who's played a video game before can successfully execute a melee without benefit of a computer-guided lunge, as can be seen in every other FPS.

: However, I submit to you that Halo is not all about the man with the most
: skill. It's about having fun (which matchmaking is not, but that's another
: story).

: If MLG had their way, everyone would use M6Cs and Sniper Rifles on a
: perfectly symmetrical map. Skill? Absolutely. Fun? Absolutely not.

The two are not mutually exclusive. Good play mechanics that reward teamwork and individual effort help make a game fun. The computer taking away control for a task as simple and mundane as a melee and making it a skill-mitigating crapshoot isn't fun, at least not to me.

: And that's all I have to say about that.

Well, you're the first person I've seen actually defend the melee lunge as preferable to non-lunging melees. Did you ever play the first game by any chance? Like I said before, its melees worked perfectly fine. Are you honestly going to sit there and say that Halo 2 & 3's melee lunge is superior to the non-lunging melees found in Halo 1 and, well, everywhere else, and that the average player would have difficulty ever landing a melee without that assist? I hope not.

http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

Message Index

Replies:

My Halo 3 review (finally).Gravemind 4/19/08 11:04 p.m.
     It was a nice read.BlueNinja 4/20/08 2:32 a.m.
     Re: My Halo 3 review (finally).zethren 4/20/08 2:50 a.m.
           Re: My Halo 3 review (finally).onebitrocket 4/23/08 2:10 a.m.
                 Re: My Halo 3 review (finally).scarab 4/23/08 8:08 a.m.
                       Re: My Halo 3 review (finally).onebitrocket 4/23/08 11:20 a.m.
                             Re: My Halo 3 review (finally).scarab 4/24/08 1:53 a.m.
                                   Re: My Halo 3 review (finally).Gravemind 4/25/08 12:58 a.m.
     Comprehensive!Jillybean 4/20/08 8:51 a.m.
           I'll say...stan 4/20/08 9:11 a.m.
     Re: My Halo 3 review (finally).Louis Wu 4/20/08 9:38 a.m.
     Re: My Halo 3 review (finally).UrsusArctos 4/20/08 10:01 a.m.
     Well written but,Spec ops Grunt 4/20/08 12:37 p.m.
     Re: My Halo 3 review (finally).serpx 4/20/08 3:06 p.m.
     Re: My Halo 3 review (finally).Vandle Valsher 4/20/08 3:16 p.m.
           Re: My Halo 3 review (finally).Gravemind 4/23/08 4:14 a.m.
                 Re: My Halo 3 review (finally).Vandle Valsher 4/23/08 4:56 a.m.
                 Re: My Halo 3 review (finally).Louis Wu 4/23/08 8:07 a.m.
                       Re: My Halo 3 review (finally).Gravemind 4/23/08 10:21 a.m.
                             Re: My Halo 3 review (finally).Louis Wu 4/23/08 11:15 a.m.
                                   Re: My Halo 3 review (finally).Cocopjojo 4/23/08 11:28 a.m.
                             Re: My Halo 3 review (finally).DiscipleN2k 4/23/08 11:13 p.m.
                                   Re: My Halo 3 review (finally).Gravemind 4/25/08 1:21 a.m.
                                         Re: My Halo 3 review (finally).DiscipleN2k 4/25/08 1:14 p.m.
                                               Re: My Halo 3 review (finally).Ragashingo 4/25/08 2:15 p.m.
                 The Melee Isn't All That Different!Ragashingo 4/23/08 11:59 a.m.
     Points on your H3 review (long)Rockslider 4/20/08 8:46 p.m.
           Re: Points on your H3 review (long)scarab 4/21/08 7:42 a.m.
                 Re: Points on your H3 review (long)Rockslider 4/22/08 4:26 p.m.
                       Re: Points on your H3 review (long)scarab 4/23/08 7:52 a.m.
           Re: Points on your H3 review (long)Gravemind 4/23/08 12:10 a.m.
                 Re: Points on your H3 review (long)Captain Spark 4/23/08 8:50 a.m.
                 Re: Points on your H3 review (long)Rockslider 4/23/08 5:41 p.m.
                       Re: Points on your H3 review (long)Gravemind 4/25/08 2:58 a.m.
     Comment on the Covenant in H3reprobate 4/21/08 6:23 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.