Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Excellent work
Posted By: mad.max [subnova] <max@subnova.com>Date: 4/10/03 6:40 a.m.

In Response To: Re: my Halo mission design document (R.G.)

: I hope Bungie doesn't bite me in the ass for revealing this.
: The assignment was to create a Halo mission with Halo:CE characters/vehicles.
: I created something I felt matched Halo's look and feel could easily slip
: into the first game.

I'm sure they won't mind - it's not like it was something for Halo 2 that they gave you special information for or anything.

: You might be able to call me on borrowing the Maw run, but hey, my warthog is
: driving on the exterior of the ship (with all those flying Covies buzzing
: around).

I don't know if that would work actually. I'm assuming all there is to stop the player just driving off the edge of the ship is the fact that the fall is too far? Also if you ever went off a ramp I have a feeling the Halo physics engine wouldn't ever make you rejoin the sloping ship :)

I think it's all really nice, and has great potential for being a real level if (lets hope) the Mac/PC versions of Halo can be modded. I have one thing that I think could be more enjoyable:

The "Batlle in the Valley" thing. It doesn't really make sense for the Covvie to be bringing their dropships all the way inland like that. Imagine instead the following. The attack ship crashes, and marines (somehow) start managing to get off (rappels? lifepods? who can say). The Covvie battlegroup that downed the ship has started landing tanks, ghosts and infantry on the beach, cutting off the marines' only escape (the elevator is shut off remember :).

The marines therefore decide to digin further up the valley, which has a slightly different layout to that in your drawing. The river heading down the valley in fact starts along one of the edge-cliffs, in a pretty waterfall (coming down possibly even from where the attack ship has crashed, that would be cool :) It then crosses the valley before turning towards the sea. This means that the valley is in effect split in two by the river, which could have a few crossing points for the enemy. The cul-de-sac end ramps up towards the back, with some pretty rock formations to hide on and around, and near the sea there is a forest through which the Covvie appear.

You could then make the player look down when at the top of the ship-ramp and see a vast force coming up the valley towards the poor little marines, so you drive pedal-to-the-metal down the ship and manage to wind up behind the first wave of Covvie assault, catching them all in a nice little crossfire. Some newly escaped marines could possibly even join you then (perhaps you saved them while driving through the ship?) Take out this lot, then fall back and backup the marines as you described. Covvie drop ships keep dropping reinforcements, banshees harass you, and (signalling the near-end of the battle) a battle group comes down the elevator behind you, activating it but sharing the life out of you at the same time :)

Not that I want to pick holes in your design, which was awesome, I just think that Halo needed a bigger Covvie on Human pitched battle. Heh, I guess what I just described was in some ways the inverse of what happens at the start of Silent Cartographer :)

Max

The Other Site

Message Index

Replies:

my Halo mission design documentR.G. 4/10/03 5:26 a.m.
     use CMD/CTRL + L when viewing in Acrobat *NM*R.G. 4/10/03 5:28 a.m.
     Re: my Halo mission design documentRage Reset 4/10/03 5:49 a.m.
           Re: my Halo mission design documentR.G. 4/10/03 6:15 a.m.
                 Excellent workmad.max [subnova] 4/10/03 6:40 a.m.
                       Re: Excellent workR.G. 4/11/03 4:12 a.m.
                             Re: Excellent workmad.max [subnova] 4/11/03 7:14 a.m.
                 Re: my Halo mission design documentDan Chosich 4/10/03 8:45 a.m.
                       Re: my Halo mission design documentR.G. 4/11/03 1:26 a.m.
                             Re: my Halo mission design documentLouis Wu 4/11/03 8:31 a.m.
                 Re: my Halo mission design documentRage Reset 4/10/03 6:28 p.m.
     Re: my Halo mission design documentLouis Wu 4/10/03 5:51 a.m.
           Re: my Halo mission design documentR.G. 4/10/03 6:19 a.m.
     Re: my Halo mission design documentBOLL 4/10/03 7:16 a.m.
     Re: my Halo mission design documentBrian Josselyn 4/10/03 8:31 a.m.
           Re: my Halo mission design documentR.G. 4/10/03 10:23 p.m.
                 Re: my Halo mission design documentBrian Josselyn 4/14/03 1:41 a.m.
     Re: my Halo mission design documentElectric Monk 4/10/03 8:47 a.m.
           game industry musingsR.G. 4/11/03 2:18 a.m.
     Re: my Halo mission design documentSep7imus 4/10/03 8:58 a.m.
           Re: my Halo mission design documentg-money 4/10/03 12:11 p.m.
           improving Mission designR.G. 4/11/03 4:01 a.m.
     Re: Great design.... butc0ld vengeance 4/10/03 11:10 a.m.
           Re: Great design.... butRoss Mills 4/10/03 11:52 a.m.
           Re: Great design.... butScalrag 4/10/03 12:01 p.m.
                 Pelicans for BansheesR.G. 4/10/03 1:23 p.m.
                       Re: Pelicans for Bansheesc0ld vengeance 4/10/03 6:22 p.m.
                             you may have something there... *NM*R.G. 4/11/03 1:33 a.m.
     Re: my Halo mission design documentErtai23 4/10/03 12:34 p.m.
     Re: my Halo mission design documentdolbex 4/10/03 4:12 p.m.
           Re: my Halo mission design documentdave17lax 4/10/03 8:30 p.m.
                 Re: my Halo mission design documentR.G. 4/11/03 1:38 a.m.
           Re: my Halo mission design documentbarkbat 4/10/03 9:51 p.m.
                 she's sinking cap'n!R.G. 4/11/03 1:57 a.m.
     Nice job!!!!!! Very nice! *NM*Aginor 4/10/03 11:49 p.m.
     Thanks everybodyR.G. 4/11/03 4:15 a.m.
     Re: my Halo mission design documentHipboyScott 4/12/03 2:19 p.m.
           Re: my Halo mission design documentR.G. 4/13/03 10:29 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.