Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: The Best and Worst Designed Alien Species
Posted By: HarmanimusDate: 8/11/11 9:50 p.m.

In Response To: Re: The Best and Worst Designed Alien Species (Flynn J Taggart)

I would, personally, argue the reverse point.

Firstly, the world isn't all serious business. Even in dire, dark and otherwise down-trodden circumstances, human occurs. On both sides of any conflict. Obviously, from a gameplay standpoint, most people are laughing at grunts, and their only real threat is numbers.

From a fictional standpoint, they are the entire bloodstream of the Covenant. The entire war machine doesn't function without them. They are the front line. The bodies to crash as waves on a shore of defenses. They breed quickly, and are quite capable when not saddled with large, cumbersome breathing apparatuses.

More importantly, they are interesting, and a varied example of design. Comparing the different Covenant species, from a narrative standpoint, places them all generally quite strong. I mean, Yanme'e not so much, but there are flashes there.

You have a manipulative race who has turned to back stabbing and playing puppeteer instead of facing off directly.

Then you have a warrior race, dealing with their current culture being exposed as a lie, with blood honor the driving force of everything they do.

Pirates, who really only associate themselves for the benefits of travel and not being annihilated, not really integrating socially.

But when you come to the Unggoy, it's yet another story. They are not glorified examples of martial prowess. Of intellect. They are not generally cunning. But they are tenacious. And they have large numbers. And really, they fight their own subjugation being treated as a lesser species by the whole of the Covenant - because they are feared by the rest of the Covenant - just as much as they are fighting against the UNSC.

Not everything breathing the same atmosphere. The interesting and realistic limitations set upon them both by this fact and the reactions of fear caused by prior rebellion add up to a much more interesting perspective on the species as a whole as well as being more distinct and rich than most of the examples on the positive side of that list.

They're quite possibly the farthest from being rubber-mask aliens of any species on that list, and are quite improperly represented.

Message Index

Replies:

The Best and Worst Designed Alien SpeciesToxic Mayhem 8/11/11 10:18 a.m.
     Well, they're not terribly wrong... :PMid7night 8/11/11 10:34 a.m.
     I was thinking about this the other dayJoony Joon 8/11/11 11:56 a.m.
           Re: I was thinking about this the other daypete_the_duck 8/11/11 11:59 a.m.
                 Re: I was thinking about this the other dayJoony Joon 8/11/11 12:04 p.m.
                       Re: I was thinking about this the other dayMid7night 8/11/11 12:12 p.m.
           Re: I was thinking about this the other daybluerunner 8/11/11 12:17 p.m.
                 That was cold, manZackDark 8/11/11 12:18 p.m.
                 Re: I was thinking about this the other dayJoony Joon 8/11/11 12:19 p.m.
                       It helps to make them more alienMoorpheusl9 8/11/11 1:41 p.m.
                             Question about ElitesJoony Joon 8/11/11 3:13 p.m.
                                   Re: Question about Elitesoddworld 8/11/11 3:44 p.m.
                                         The answer is: neitherscarab 8/11/11 5:06 p.m.
                                               Re: The answer is: neitherStephen L. (SoundEffect) 8/11/11 6:25 p.m.
                                                     Re: The answer is: neitherscarab 8/11/11 7:09 p.m.
                                                     Re: The answer is: neitherSl'askia 8/12/11 12:43 p.m.
                                                           Re: The answer is: neitherGeneral Vagueness 8/12/11 5:48 p.m.
                                                                 Re: The answer is: neitherSl'askia 8/13/11 12:58 p.m.
                                                           Re: The answer is: neitherscarab 8/12/11 11:41 p.m.
                                                                 Re: The answer is: neitherSl'askia 8/13/11 1:16 p.m.
                                                                       Re: The answer is: neitherscarab 8/13/11 2:21 p.m.
                                                                             Re: The answer is: neitherSl'askia 8/13/11 2:36 p.m.
                                                                             Just me, or is this thread getting creepy?NsU Soldier 8/13/11 2:47 p.m.
                                                                                   Just you :-) *NM*scarab 8/13/11 2:52 p.m.
                                                                                   For the sake of accuracySl'askia 8/13/11 2:56 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: For the sake of accuracyNsU Soldier 8/13/11 8:11 p.m.
                                                                                               Don't worrySl'askia 8/14/11 12:00 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Don't worrySl'askia 8/14/11 12:01 p.m.
                                                                             Re: The answer is: neitherLurono 8/13/11 8:12 p.m.
                                                                                   NSF(NsU Soldier)scarab 8/14/11 4:31 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: NSF(NsU Soldier)Sl'askia 8/14/11 11:55 a.m.
     Grunts are awesome...Leviathan 8/11/11 1:41 p.m.
           NopeZackDark 8/11/11 11:08 p.m.
                 Re: NopeLeviathan 8/11/11 11:40 p.m.
                       It's coolZackDark 8/12/11 7:14 a.m.
     Re: The Best and Worst Designed Alien SpeciesGeneral Vagueness 8/11/11 4:04 p.m.
           Re: The Best and Worst Designed Alien SpeciesQuirel 8/12/11 12:37 a.m.
     Re: The Best and Worst Designed Alien SpeciesFlynn J Taggart 8/11/11 6:31 p.m.
           Re: The Best and Worst Designed Alien SpeciesHarmanimus 8/11/11 9:50 p.m.
                 +1ZackDark 8/11/11 11:12 p.m.
                 Re: The Best and Worst Designed Alien SpeciesFlynn J Taggart 8/12/11 2:54 a.m.
                       Re: The Best and Worst Designed Alien SpeciesGeneral Vagueness 8/12/11 11:08 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.