Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

The answer is: neither
Posted By: scarabDate: 8/11/11 5:06 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Question about Elites (oddworld)

: something i read that was reasonably canonical made them seem pretty
: reptilian, but i can't remember what that something was now. i am pretty
: sure they're supposed to be warm-blooded, though - so maybe they're
: actually along the same evolutionary tree as dinosaurs (which aren't
: really all that reptilian, at least that's what the latest research seemed
: to point out)

Its a meaningless question to ask if they are mammals or reptiles. They aren't descended from any species on earth so they don't fall into any earth clade.

We categorize animals into groups based on shared derived features but we also know that they inherit those features from a common ancestor.

But if we wanted to pretend that they were some long lost relative...

They look like vertebrates.

If we ignore the face and lack of external openings between the legs or in that area in general...

Then we could say that they are some form of tetrapod.

They seem to have ribs but have a ribless gap around the abdomen and look like they may breath using a diaphragm. That would suggest that they were mammals.

They look like artiodactyls.

If you look at the naked Arbiter walking in the Mausoleum of the Arbiters you will notice that he has odd heels. those could be the two outer digits, shrunken like the equivalent digits in pigs, only now put to use as strange heels.

The Elite thumbs could have evolved from the two reduced outer digits. Giving them two "thumbs" and two fingers.

The face is strange but the jaws could be unfused branchial arches which would be consistent with them being vertebrates. Though with no living relatives on earth or any fossil record of their group.

But they can't be mammals unless they split from a mammal ancestor and it seems unlikely that their jaws would be so radically different if they had.

If you watch the h2 video were the Arbiter is dragged past some Jackals in prison you will see a stain around his ass area. He either sat on something or he may have a cloaca. This is a common vent for feces, urine, and sperm or eggs. Fish and reptiles/birds have them as do the monotremes.

Message Index

Replies:

The Best and Worst Designed Alien SpeciesToxic Mayhem 8/11/11 10:18 a.m.
     Well, they're not terribly wrong... :PMid7night 8/11/11 10:34 a.m.
     I was thinking about this the other dayJoony Joon 8/11/11 11:56 a.m.
           Re: I was thinking about this the other daypete_the_duck 8/11/11 11:59 a.m.
                 Re: I was thinking about this the other dayJoony Joon 8/11/11 12:04 p.m.
                       Re: I was thinking about this the other dayMid7night 8/11/11 12:12 p.m.
           Re: I was thinking about this the other daybluerunner 8/11/11 12:17 p.m.
                 That was cold, manZackDark 8/11/11 12:18 p.m.
                 Re: I was thinking about this the other dayJoony Joon 8/11/11 12:19 p.m.
                       It helps to make them more alienMoorpheusl9 8/11/11 1:41 p.m.
                             Question about ElitesJoony Joon 8/11/11 3:13 p.m.
                                   Re: Question about Elitesoddworld 8/11/11 3:44 p.m.
                                         The answer is: neitherscarab 8/11/11 5:06 p.m.
                                               Re: The answer is: neitherStephen L. (SoundEffect) 8/11/11 6:25 p.m.
                                                     Re: The answer is: neitherscarab 8/11/11 7:09 p.m.
                                                     Re: The answer is: neitherSl'askia 8/12/11 12:43 p.m.
                                                           Re: The answer is: neitherGeneral Vagueness 8/12/11 5:48 p.m.
                                                                 Re: The answer is: neitherSl'askia 8/13/11 12:58 p.m.
                                                           Re: The answer is: neitherscarab 8/12/11 11:41 p.m.
                                                                 Re: The answer is: neitherSl'askia 8/13/11 1:16 p.m.
                                                                       Re: The answer is: neitherscarab 8/13/11 2:21 p.m.
                                                                             Re: The answer is: neitherSl'askia 8/13/11 2:36 p.m.
                                                                             Just me, or is this thread getting creepy?NsU Soldier 8/13/11 2:47 p.m.
                                                                                   Just you :-) *NM*scarab 8/13/11 2:52 p.m.
                                                                                   For the sake of accuracySl'askia 8/13/11 2:56 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: For the sake of accuracyNsU Soldier 8/13/11 8:11 p.m.
                                                                                               Don't worrySl'askia 8/14/11 12:00 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Don't worrySl'askia 8/14/11 12:01 p.m.
                                                                             Re: The answer is: neitherLurono 8/13/11 8:12 p.m.
                                                                                   NSF(NsU Soldier)scarab 8/14/11 4:31 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: NSF(NsU Soldier)Sl'askia 8/14/11 11:55 a.m.
     Grunts are awesome...Leviathan 8/11/11 1:41 p.m.
           NopeZackDark 8/11/11 11:08 p.m.
                 Re: NopeLeviathan 8/11/11 11:40 p.m.
                       It's coolZackDark 8/12/11 7:14 a.m.
     Re: The Best and Worst Designed Alien SpeciesGeneral Vagueness 8/11/11 4:04 p.m.
           Re: The Best and Worst Designed Alien SpeciesQuirel 8/12/11 12:37 a.m.
     Re: The Best and Worst Designed Alien SpeciesFlynn J Taggart 8/11/11 6:31 p.m.
           Re: The Best and Worst Designed Alien SpeciesHarmanimus 8/11/11 9:50 p.m.
                 +1ZackDark 8/11/11 11:12 p.m.
                 Re: The Best and Worst Designed Alien SpeciesFlynn J Taggart 8/12/11 2:54 a.m.
                       Re: The Best and Worst Designed Alien SpeciesGeneral Vagueness 8/12/11 11:08 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.