glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Gonna try and withhold my opinion till...
Posted By: Leviathan <levihoffmeier@gmail.com>Date: 7/22/11 8:35 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Gonna try and withhold my opinion till... (SonofMacPhisto)

: We see through a looking glass, darkly? Perhaps HCEA will be a more fully
: realized version of Halo CE, or a least just an interesting expression of
: it in a unique place in space and time, just like the original Halo CE
: was. I'd suggest not worrying *too* much about issues of canon, at least
: as far as it impacts enjoying the game. Sure, there will be a time to
: lockdown every little detail and, hopefully, have FUN cataloging them. I
: don't think it's now, especially if it produces heaviness of heart.

: Your post reminded me of the Lord of the Rings. As far as I know, we've got
: the original books, the animated series, and the live action films. I
: think you're a fan of LotR, right? If so, how do you approach those three
: expressions, in terms of your questions that I quoted? Is it unreasonable
: to enjoy them all, and take a certain amount of glee in knowing the books
: so well that we spot differences in the other media instantly?

: I suspect it's not too distressing, right? :)

I am a huge Lord of the Rings fan, yes.... and your paragraph there sums it up quite well. Loving the films and their spirit, the differences between the books and the films simply become fun nuggets of trivia to be spotted.

To bring up another book and film adaptation that I both love - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and its movie counterpart, Blade Runner, are WILDLY different... but in a weird way, inhabit the same science fiction niche, like looking at a topic or subject from two different angles. Even the author, Phillip K. Dick, who hadn't been happy with all the changes, after actually seeing the movie appreciated its separate direction, since it circled in on the same focus of his book.

I'm in no way a purist when it comes to adaptions, especially in separate mediums. I actually think they shouldn't be the same, since the different mediums often require different methods of storytelling. :)

But to me, Halo Anniversary is different, possibly. I could be wrong, but let me explain.

If 343i came out and said "Hey, relax, this is just a 'What If?' feature -just a version of Halo if it had been made today, and not literal canon re-write", then ALL my 'distress' would vanish in an instant.

And the inclusion of the 'classic' button seems to almost support this way of looking at it...

But the inclusion of new terminals that tries to connect elements of the original Halo CE story to the overall story elements of today's Halo universe seems to say the opposite - that this is the 'official' version now. And Halopedia and the like will update their screenshots and descriptions with Anniversary's vision, and all my old memories will have been deemed archaic...

If the later is true, it wouldn't be like spotting the differences between a book and its movie counterpart - it would be as if Peter Jackson's Fellowship of the Ring was remade and said to be the 'official' version of film 1 for Jackson's trilogy. And if they had redesigned Hobbiton and Rivendell and the mines of Moria, and they no longer match with the later films - then I would be distressed. :(

So what it comes down to: is Anniversary the 'new' Halo: CE and its visuals should be treated as canon, or it simply a new vision without those implications - just a stand alone 'adaptation'?

Message Index

Replies:

Im so glad they changed the assault rifle.ElzarTheBam 7/22/11 4:22 p.m.
     Re: Im so glad they changed the assault rifle.DMFanella 7/22/11 4:26 p.m.
           Re: Im so glad they changed the assault rifle.Nosolee 7/22/11 4:52 p.m.
                 Re: Im so glad they changed the assault rifle.GrimBrother IV 7/22/11 5:09 p.m.
                       Re: Im so glad they changed the assault rifle.Bry 7/22/11 5:19 p.m.
                             Holy crap, you're a genius!Quirel 7/22/11 10:46 p.m.
                                   Re: Holy crap, you're a genius!General Vagueness 7/23/11 12:48 p.m.
                                         Re: Holy crap, you're a genius!Bry 7/23/11 1:05 p.m.
                                               Re: Holy crap, you're a genius!General Vagueness 7/23/11 1:51 p.m.
                                                     Re: Holy crap, you're a genius!Bry 7/23/11 2:08 p.m.
                                                           Re: Holy crap, you're a genius!General Vagueness 7/23/11 3:55 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Holy crap, you're a genius!Bry 7/23/11 4:17 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Holy crap, you're a genius!General Vagueness 7/23/11 5:05 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Holy crap, you're a genius!Quirel 7/24/11 1:01 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Holy crap, you're a genius!Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 7/23/11 5:06 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Holy crap, you're a genius!SonofMacPhisto 7/23/11 5:45 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Holy crap, you're a genius!Leviathan 7/23/11 5:06 p.m.
                                                                             Reminds me of... *IMG*SonofMacPhisto 7/23/11 5:42 p.m.
                                                     Re: Holy crap, you're a genius!ZackDark 7/23/11 3:29 p.m.
                                                           Re: Holy crap, you're a genius!Phoenix_9286 7/23/11 5:19 p.m.
     Re: Im so glad they changed the assault rifle.The Alpha ELite 7/22/11 5:08 p.m.
     If you don't like it...BlueNinja 7/22/11 5:16 p.m.
           Re: If you don't like it...Postmortem 7/22/11 5:19 p.m.
                 Re: If you don't like it...BlueNinja 7/22/11 5:25 p.m.
           Re: If you don't like it...General Vagueness 7/23/11 12:27 p.m.
     Gonna try and withhold my opinion till...Leviathan 7/22/11 5:58 p.m.
           Re: Gonna try and withhold my opinion till...Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 7/22/11 6:44 p.m.
                 Re: Gonna try and withhold my opinion till...SonofMacPhisto 7/22/11 7:38 p.m.
                       Re: Gonna try and withhold my opinion till...uberfoop 7/22/11 7:52 p.m.
                             Re: Gonna try and withhold my opinion till...Phoenix_9286 7/23/11 1:03 a.m.
                                   Re: Gonna try and withhold my opinion till...uberfoop 7/23/11 1:30 a.m.
                                         Re: Gonna try and withhold my opinion till...Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 7/23/11 7:56 a.m.
                       Re: Gonna try and withhold my opinion till...Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 7/22/11 11:32 p.m.
                             Re: Gonna try and withhold my opinion till...Bry 7/23/11 2:29 a.m.
                                   Re: Gonna try and withhold my opinion till...Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 7/23/11 7:42 a.m.
           Re: Gonna try and withhold my opinion till...SonofMacPhisto 7/22/11 7:51 p.m.
                 Re: Gonna try and withhold my opinion till...Leviathan 7/22/11 8:35 p.m.
                       Another way of putting it. Maybe.uberfoop 7/22/11 9:01 p.m.
                       Re: Gonna try and withhold my opinion till...Quirel 7/22/11 9:07 p.m.
     Re: Im so glad they changed the assault rifle.Quirel 7/22/11 9:01 p.m.
           Re: Im so glad they changed the assault rifle.BanditORR 7/23/11 1:09 p.m.
                 I suppose I'm a fool then. :)Leviathan 7/23/11 2:17 p.m.
                       Re: I suppose I'm a fool then. :)Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 7/23/11 5:07 p.m.
                       Re: I suppose I'm a fool then. :)Quirel 7/24/11 1:04 a.m.
     Re: Im so glad they changed the assault rifle.ZackDark 7/22/11 10:20 p.m.
     Re: Im so glad they changed the assault rifle.INSANEdrive 7/22/11 11:34 p.m.
     Re: Im so glad they changed the assault rifle.Ross Mills 7/23/11 3:23 a.m.
     It doesn't look LARGEscarab 7/23/11 6:09 a.m.
           Re: It doesn't look LARGEArchilen 7/24/11 6:34 a.m.
                 Re: It doesn't look LARGEGeneral Vagueness 7/24/11 10:46 a.m.
     Re: Im so glad they changed the assault rifle.General Vagueness 7/23/11 12:26 p.m.
     Re: Im so glad they changed the assault rifle.Archilen 7/24/11 6:43 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.