Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: And why I'm afraid as well
Posted By: LuronoDate: 6/6/11 8:52 p.m.

In Response To: And why I'm afraid as well (Quirel)

: This is also where I face a conundrum. I'm not sure I want a new enemy at the
: moment. Possibly because I'm afraid it's just going to be Flood by another
: name, but mostly because I believe our current enemies haven't been quite
: sufficiently explored yet. I haven't had the opportunity to lock wits with
: Jackal pirates. I haven't had the opportunity to watch Heretic ships burn
: off the shoulder of Orion. I haven't even got the chance to summarily
: execute those filthy Insurrectionist saboteurs.

I've always wanted to fight some Insurrectionists, honestly. It would be fun to play as an Orion sent on various missions before first contact. I was really disappointed in the Winter Contingency mission of Reach when it ended up being the Covenant and not the Innies. Fighting Insurrectionists at the beginning of the game and befriending them/working with them to fight the Covenant later on would have been an interesting plot IMO.

: Not to say that won't come later, or that the new antagonist won't be
: interesting. But it's hard to get excited when the antagonists are
: described as an 'ancient evil.'
: Ancient Evil. It's generic. It's Sauron. It's Cthulhu. It's the Illuminati.
: It's the Reavers. It's the Voice in the Darkness. It's Hillary
: Rodham-Clinton. By 2555, 'Ancient Evil' will apply to tobacco and Adolf
: Hitler as well.

Had to fix that for you... Unless you were talking Firefly. But those guys weren't really ancient....

: I just want to know why that jetpack is there, but has never been used. Did
: the people who designed R2D2 have a hand in this?

I don't really see the problem. The trailer is supposed to be a representative sample of what we will get in the actual game. If that requires the chief magically having a jetpack or boosters immediately out of the pod, then so be it. A trailer that's just over a minute long isn't meant to explain the reasoning, it's meant to get people excited, and I think it did a good job of it =)

: Lastly, I would like to speak about the Skywalker Effect. A main character
: gets too much mileage this way, is thrust into crisis after crisis as if
: his guardian angel is an adrenaline junkie, and is still wading through
: stormtroopers when, by all rights, he ought to be popping arthritis
: medication. Indiana Jones could get away with this, because he's Indiana
: Frickin' Jones, but even he had to stay away from aliens. Can the Chief
: pull it off?

Hey! Jedi aren't normal people/aliens/whatever! I'm sure with all the technology in SW they got rid of arthritis a long time ago!

: It wouldn't be so bad if Halo 4 was a stand-alone game. The Bungie trilogy
: would be the beginning and the end of the Halo Crisis, and Halo 4 would
: tie up the Chief's story.

That's an interesting idea, and in some ways preferable. I am glad that they've been up-front about it being a trilogy, though. Hopefully planning things this way from the start will make the story more cohesive than Bungie's trilogy.

: Maybe it doesn't need it as badly as Star Wars, but I think Halo could use a
: few more games with original characters.

People say that a lot about SW, and yeah, it is a bit of a problem. However, in the last few years they've done a good job at branching out and telling different stories in different time periods with new characters (I still can't wait for SWToR). I'd love to see some new Tales books, though.

On the subject of Halo, I don't think they've had much of a problem with original characters. We have ODST, Reach, Evolutions 1 and 2, Cryptum, The Cole Protocol, Ghosts of Onyx, etc. All of those works featured new characters for the most part. Halo 1-3 focused on the Chief and Cortana. I'm actually quite happy that we get to play as the Chief again, I think the four years, five by the time Halo 4 comes out, since Halo 3 has been enough time without them (and much longer than other huge characters in other major franchises).

Message Index

Replies:

Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, for H4serpx 6/6/11 5:22 p.m.
     Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, fotarehart 6/6/11 5:39 p.m.
           Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, foFrankie 6/6/11 5:42 p.m.
                 Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, foJoshua Allen 6/6/11 5:49 p.m.
                 Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, foJoshua Allen 6/6/11 6:17 p.m.
                       Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, foArteenEsben 6/6/11 7:17 p.m.
                             Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, foGeneral Vagueness 6/7/11 6:26 p.m.
                 Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, foBry 6/6/11 6:35 p.m.
                 Now that pretty much all of bungie is gonedonttalk 6/6/11 8:09 p.m.
           Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, foserpx 6/6/11 5:44 p.m.
                 Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, foserpx 6/6/11 5:50 p.m.
                       Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, foFrankie 6/6/11 6:01 p.m.
                             Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, foBlueNinja 6/6/11 6:09 p.m.
                             Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, fobryan Newman 6/6/11 6:13 p.m.
                                   Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, foFrankie 6/6/11 6:14 p.m.
                                         Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, fobryan Newman 6/6/11 6:18 p.m.
                                         Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, foJoshua Allen 6/6/11 6:18 p.m.
                                   Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, foJoshua Allen 6/6/11 6:15 p.m.
                                         Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, foGeneral Vagueness 6/6/11 6:19 p.m.
                                               Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, fotarehart 6/6/11 6:23 p.m.
                                                     lol *nm* *NM*Joshua Allen 6/6/11 6:26 p.m.
                                   Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, foSl'askia 6/6/11 8:25 p.m.
                                         Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, fotarehart 6/6/11 8:47 p.m.
                                               Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, foSl'askia 6/6/11 11:55 p.m.
                                                     Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, fotarehart 6/7/11 6:44 a.m.
                                         Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, foQuirel 6/6/11 8:48 p.m.
                             Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, foSep7imus [subnova] 6/6/11 6:39 p.m.
     I'm more concerned about the music.The BS Police 6/6/11 6:28 p.m.
           Re: I'm more concerned about the music.Frankie 6/6/11 6:49 p.m.
                 Re: I'm more concerned about the music.ArteenEsben 6/6/11 6:53 p.m.
                       Re: I'm more concerned about the music.Chewbeccawacca 6/6/11 8:11 p.m.
                             Re: I'm more concerned about the music.Bry 6/6/11 8:24 p.m.
                 Re: I'm more concerned about the music.tarehart 6/6/11 7:00 p.m.
                 aaaw man even the music changed!?goCHIEFgo 6/6/11 7:03 p.m.
                       Re: aaaw man even the music changed!?Vandle Valsher 6/6/11 7:19 p.m.
                             Re: aaaw man even the music changed!?Metalingus627 6/6/11 7:28 p.m.
                                   Re: aaaw man even the music changed!?Vandle Valsher 6/6/11 7:37 p.m.
                 Re: I'm more concerned about the music.Metalingus627 6/6/11 7:29 p.m.
                       Re: I'm more concerned about the music.Frankie 6/6/11 7:31 p.m.
                             Cool beans *NM*Metalingus627 6/6/11 7:36 p.m.
                             The one from 1977? *NM*Ragashingo 6/6/11 7:48 p.m.
                             Re: I'm more concerned about the music.Strike Reyhi 6/6/11 9:03 p.m.
                 Re: I'm more concerned about the music.Cody Miller 6/6/11 8:14 p.m.
                 Re: I'm more concerned about the music.Quirel 6/6/11 9:01 p.m.
                 Re: I'm more concerned about the music.Narcogen 6/7/11 12:59 a.m.
     And why I'm afraid as wellQuirel 6/6/11 7:04 p.m.
           Re: And why I'm afraid as wellArteenEsben 6/6/11 7:13 p.m.
                 Re: And why I'm afraid as wellQuirel 6/6/11 9:42 p.m.
                       Re: And why I'm afraid as wellArteenEsben 6/6/11 11:02 p.m.
           Re: And why I'm afraid as wellLurono 6/6/11 8:52 p.m.
                 Didn't proofread as well as I should...Lurono 6/6/11 8:54 p.m.
                       Re: Didn't proofread as well as I should...Quirel 6/6/11 9:05 p.m.
                             lol, better list than I had *NM*Lurono 6/6/11 9:12 p.m.
                 Re: And why I'm afraid as wellQuirel 6/6/11 9:20 p.m.
                       Re: And why I'm afraid as wellLurono 6/6/11 10:50 p.m.
     Is anyone else more excited about H:A than H4? *NM*SPARTAN-034 6/7/11 12:17 a.m.
           Yeah... It's closer... =) *NM*Lurono 6/7/11 1:58 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.