Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

And why I'm afraid as well
Posted By: Quirel <I_am_quirel@hotmail.com>Date: 6/6/11 7:04 p.m.

In Response To: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, for H4 (serpx)

Call it cautious skepticism. Indy 4 completely nuked the fridge. The fourth Star Wars movie was perhaps the worst. The fourth Alien movie DOES. NOT. EXIST. The Chinese word for '4' is also the word for 'death', incidentally.

But I, humorously, digress.

: Though, as I saw the whole trailer, I initially wasn't excited. I was
: interested, but not excited. When "Halo 4" showed up at the end,
: it was an odd feeling for me. The title gave me the feeling that the
: franchise was getting milked, but at the same time, I felt like it was an
: appropriate title (as it is a continuation of the story and the title, in
: the end, is ultimately fitting). It was just odd to me since not a lot of
: franchises go into the "4" department.

Yes, it does seem odd. In fact, the tradition is to NOT use '4' so you can avoid looking like you're milking the franchise. Instead of Terminator 4, we got Terminator: Salvation. Instead of Aliens 4, we get Aliens: Resurrection. As soon as a series reaches its fourth installment, the guys in charge leaf through the dictionary for a suitable word longer than 8 letters. Preferably, something vaguely biblical.

I was initially disappointed that 343i was bucking this trend, but perhaps it's more original and more honest. People will whine that the Halo Franchise is being milked to death anyway, so screw them. The alternative would be to use colon cancer, with this trilogy being Halo: Subtitle, and each of the games having their own name. Example is as follows.

Halo: Subtitle
Halo: Subtitle: 2nd Gig
Halo: Subtitle: Penultimatum.

Which, of course, is just another way of saying "Halo 4-6".
But in all honesty, Halo 4 is really Halo 6, Halo 5 will technically be Halo 7, and if this trend continues, Halo 6 shall be Halo 9.

Gott im Himmel, I don't look forward to explaining this to my kids.

: Anyways, after watching the video several times, I'm a bit more comfortable
: with the title. As for the video content, I am slowly getting excitement
: because 1) it's a fresh perspective at the franchise, and 2) there will
: surely be Forerunner. What 343 has done with the Forerunner so far, with
: Greg's book and Halo Legends, is absolutely perfect IMO, and I am excited
: to see this race not only visually, but in a Halolore videogame.

This is also where I face a conundrum. I'm not sure I want a new enemy at the moment. Possibly because I'm afraid it's just going to be Flood by another name, but mostly because I believe our current enemies haven't been quite sufficiently explored yet. I haven't had the opportunity to lock wits with Jackal pirates. I haven't had the opportunity to watch Heretic ships burn off the shoulder of Orion. I haven't even got the chance to summarily execute those filthy Insurrectionist saboteurs.

Not to say that won't come later, or that the new antagonist won't be interesting. But it's hard to get excited when the antagonists are described as an 'ancient evil.'
Ancient Evil. It's generic. It's Sauron. It's Cthulhu. It's the Illuminati. It's the Reavers. It's the Voice in the Darkness. It's Hillary Rodham-Clinton. By 2555, 'Ancient Evil' will apply to tobacco and Adolf Hitler as well.

Problem is, all of the 2-and-3 word descriptions of antagonists have been taken, used to death, mistaken for a horse and beaten, and then raised from the grave to go through it all over again. I'm not criticizing 343i for a poor choice of words, I just think that they might have gone a slightly different route and not walk into that trap.

: Though, I am also quite afraid because the bar for a quality Halo game is
: insanely high, and Halo games have continously risen the bar, rather than
: lower it, so the 343 developers are in some very hot shoes right now. I'm
: afraid of how much care they're going to put into the little things,
: because for me, that's one distingusing aspect that made Halo games
: appealing (to me).

Agreed.

: As people are properly questioning, why does the Chief
: have "new" armor, an apparent jetpack, and an updated pistol all
: of a sudden? The little things are what this fanbase will pick apart, and
: I'm assuming 343 has a reason for everything, if they truly know us, so
: I'm not going to complain much until more is out in the wild.

I just want to know why that jetpack is there, but has never been used. Did the people who designed R2D2 have a hand in this?

: Anyways, that's my thoughts. Stoked to see where the franchise is going story
: wise, and cautious at the care 343 will take in the next game for the
: franchise.

Lastly, I would like to speak about the Skywalker Effect. A main character gets too much mileage this way, is thrust into crisis after crisis as if his guardian angel is an adrenaline junkie, and is still wading through stormtroopers when, by all rights, he ought to be popping arthritis medication. Indiana Jones could get away with this, because he's Indiana Frickin' Jones, but even he had to stay away from aliens. Can the Chief pull it off?

It wouldn't be so bad if Halo 4 was a stand-alone game. The Bungie trilogy would be the beginning and the end of the Halo Crisis, and Halo 4 would tie up the Chief's story.

Maybe it doesn't need it as badly as Star Wars, but I think Halo could use a few more games with original characters.

Message Index

Replies:

Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, for H4serpx 6/6/11 5:22 p.m.
     Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, fotarehart 6/6/11 5:39 p.m.
           Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, foFrankie 6/6/11 5:42 p.m.
                 Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, foJoshua Allen 6/6/11 5:49 p.m.
                 Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, foJoshua Allen 6/6/11 6:17 p.m.
                       Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, foArteenEsben 6/6/11 7:17 p.m.
                             Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, foGeneral Vagueness 6/7/11 6:26 p.m.
                 Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, foBry 6/6/11 6:35 p.m.
                 Now that pretty much all of bungie is gonedonttalk 6/6/11 8:09 p.m.
           Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, foserpx 6/6/11 5:44 p.m.
                 Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, foserpx 6/6/11 5:50 p.m.
                       Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, foFrankie 6/6/11 6:01 p.m.
                             Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, foBlueNinja 6/6/11 6:09 p.m.
                             Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, fobryan Newman 6/6/11 6:13 p.m.
                                   Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, foFrankie 6/6/11 6:14 p.m.
                                         Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, fobryan Newman 6/6/11 6:18 p.m.
                                         Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, foJoshua Allen 6/6/11 6:18 p.m.
                                   Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, foJoshua Allen 6/6/11 6:15 p.m.
                                         Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, foGeneral Vagueness 6/6/11 6:19 p.m.
                                               Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, fotarehart 6/6/11 6:23 p.m.
                                                     lol *nm* *NM*Joshua Allen 6/6/11 6:26 p.m.
                                   Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, foSl'askia 6/6/11 8:25 p.m.
                                         Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, fotarehart 6/6/11 8:47 p.m.
                                               Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, foSl'askia 6/6/11 11:55 p.m.
                                                     Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, fotarehart 6/7/11 6:44 a.m.
                                         Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, foQuirel 6/6/11 8:48 p.m.
                             Re: Why I'm suddenly excited, yet still afraid, foSep7imus [subnova] 6/6/11 6:39 p.m.
     I'm more concerned about the music.The BS Police 6/6/11 6:28 p.m.
           Re: I'm more concerned about the music.Frankie 6/6/11 6:49 p.m.
                 Re: I'm more concerned about the music.ArteenEsben 6/6/11 6:53 p.m.
                       Re: I'm more concerned about the music.Chewbeccawacca 6/6/11 8:11 p.m.
                             Re: I'm more concerned about the music.Bry 6/6/11 8:24 p.m.
                 Re: I'm more concerned about the music.tarehart 6/6/11 7:00 p.m.
                 aaaw man even the music changed!?goCHIEFgo 6/6/11 7:03 p.m.
                       Re: aaaw man even the music changed!?Vandle Valsher 6/6/11 7:19 p.m.
                             Re: aaaw man even the music changed!?Metalingus627 6/6/11 7:28 p.m.
                                   Re: aaaw man even the music changed!?Vandle Valsher 6/6/11 7:37 p.m.
                 Re: I'm more concerned about the music.Metalingus627 6/6/11 7:29 p.m.
                       Re: I'm more concerned about the music.Frankie 6/6/11 7:31 p.m.
                             Cool beans *NM*Metalingus627 6/6/11 7:36 p.m.
                             The one from 1977? *NM*Ragashingo 6/6/11 7:48 p.m.
                             Re: I'm more concerned about the music.Strike Reyhi 6/6/11 9:03 p.m.
                 Re: I'm more concerned about the music.Cody Miller 6/6/11 8:14 p.m.
                 Re: I'm more concerned about the music.Quirel 6/6/11 9:01 p.m.
                 Re: I'm more concerned about the music.Narcogen 6/7/11 12:59 a.m.
     And why I'm afraid as wellQuirel 6/6/11 7:04 p.m.
           Re: And why I'm afraid as wellArteenEsben 6/6/11 7:13 p.m.
                 Re: And why I'm afraid as wellQuirel 6/6/11 9:42 p.m.
                       Re: And why I'm afraid as wellArteenEsben 6/6/11 11:02 p.m.
           Re: And why I'm afraid as wellLurono 6/6/11 8:52 p.m.
                 Didn't proofread as well as I should...Lurono 6/6/11 8:54 p.m.
                       Re: Didn't proofread as well as I should...Quirel 6/6/11 9:05 p.m.
                             lol, better list than I had *NM*Lurono 6/6/11 9:12 p.m.
                 Re: And why I'm afraid as wellQuirel 6/6/11 9:20 p.m.
                       Re: And why I'm afraid as wellLurono 6/6/11 10:50 p.m.
     Is anyone else more excited about H:A than H4? *NM*SPARTAN-034 6/7/11 12:17 a.m.
           Yeah... It's closer... =) *NM*Lurono 6/7/11 1:58 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.