Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

My Theory *long*
Posted By: Metalingus627 <mtracy627@yahoo.com>Date: 11/10/09 6:21 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Spartans Never Die... (Ragashingo)

: Draw those conclusions. :)

All right, you asked for it. ;)

"Replacements?" ":This many years into the war, who isn't?" Buck and Dare may have been hinting at more then we realize there. Every regiment has surely seen replacements, and some have undoubtedly been wiped out (Alpha and Beta Company, for example). We have seen from many sources that the Spartan-IIs are not at all immune to this.

The existence of the Spartan-II Class-II has always been alluded to and yet seemingly denied by canon sources, but never ruled out entirely. The fact of the matter is, we know for sure that Mendez didn't train them, and that Halsey had little to no involvement with them. Of course, that could have been the intention to keep her out. They sure as hell didn't want her to know about the Spartan-III program. So what if they did, as a matter of fact, train and produce more Spartan-IIs? The Reach trailer seems to indicate that did happen, and that we will be playing as some of those second generation Spartans.

This doesn't alleviate the fact that the first class of Spartan IIs has been whittled down by many events, indicating that a large portion of those "remaining" Spartans mentioned to have been sent to defend Reach were all dead/MIA long before the Battle of Reach. Or does it? I'd like to point out an interesting quote from "The Fall of Reach."

pg 240
Clustered around him were two dozen Spartans. Fred, Linda, Joshua, James, and many others he had not spoken to for years; constant battle had kept the tight-knit Spartans light-years apart for more than a decade."

This quote is interesting because it mentions that many of the Spartans hadn't even truly spoken to one another for years (undoubtedly combat chatter and the like continued on regardless, but this seems to refer to actual conversations). If you don't speak to somebody for years, and may or may not even see them for years (and when you do see them they are encased in their armor), it is entirely possible that you might stop noticing subtle changes in their behavior, demeanor, or even their personality. If someone were to step into their shoes and act just like them, would you be able to tell the difference? Especially if their personality has little to do with what you think of the most: completing the mission.

So what am I getting at? The Spartan-II Class II was trained, not just because they could supplement and continue the legacy of the first generation, but they were kept top-secret so they could replace the first generation if that became necessary. The results of this? Dr. Halsey mentions Gray Team being too distant to easily recall, and then mentions three KIAs and one Spartan too wounded to continue active duty. Those KIAs are assumed to be Sam, Sheila, and Randall, while the wounded Spartan is assumed to be Cassandra. No mention of the Halo Wars Spartans or Cal-141.

How would they go about replacing Spartans without the team noticing? Well, those Spartans who were confirmed to be dead were probably witnessed as such by other Spartans. However, from "The Babysitter" we see that sometimes they are deployed singly to command/support operations with ODSTs or other standard infantry. The ODSTs in that short were most likely (in fact, almost certainly) held to a non-disclosure agreement to ensure they didn't tell anybody about the Spartan being killed. Its possible that directive applies to not telling other Spartans as well. Cal-141 is replaced with a similar-looking/acting second generation Spartan, and life goes on.

These Spartans would most certainly see deployment on other fields of operation, and the stories that would rise about them would be attributed to the class-ones rather than a mystical "Class-Two."

What benefit would it have to the UNSC? The directive to not list Spartans as KIA is meant to boost morale among the armed forces. Would this not also apply to the Spartans themselves? Seeing their teammates dropping off the radar one by one would wear on them, no matter how "tough" they are.

Also, this would solve one of the most major inconsistencies in the Halo canon: the final number of Spartans that participate in the Battle of Reach. If this theory is correct, then there are 23-25 Spartans on that Pelican. The Halo Wars Spartans, Cal, and any others that have disappeared over the course of the canon are all present and accounted for. Canon is saved, and 343/Bungie has a whole new generation of Spartan-IIs to play around with, not to mention having a little more creative freedom with the first generation. Sierra 259 and 320 (and any others from Reach) are Spartans from the second generation who were never called to replace any of the first generation Spartans.

Criticize as necessary. :)

Message Index

Replies:

Dear Frankie; please stop making up new Spartans.InnerRayg 11/8/09 4:16 a.m.
     Re: Dear Frankie; please stop making up new SpartaRosco-128 11/8/09 5:16 a.m.
     HBO: Loose canon. *NM*Stuntmutt 11/8/09 7:18 a.m.
     Re: Dear Frankie; please stop making up new Spartareprobate 11/8/09 7:22 a.m.
     Re: Dear Frankie; please stop making up new SpartaArteenEsben 11/8/09 8:27 a.m.
     Re: Dear Frankie; please stop making up new SpartaAfroRyan 11/8/09 8:44 a.m.
           Re: Dear Frankie; please stop making up new SpartaFrankie 11/8/09 10:20 a.m.
                 Re: Dear Frankie; please stop making up new SpartaArchilen 11/8/09 10:27 a.m.
                       Re: Dear Frankie; please stop making up new SpartaFrankie 11/8/09 10:45 a.m.
                             I knew it! *NM*Vincent 11/8/09 10:57 a.m.
                             There's so much love here Frankie.Speedhuntr 11/8/09 5:10 p.m.
                                   I know I love FrankieInnerRayg 11/8/09 5:23 p.m.
                                         Grapes are delicious!!! :) *NM*chris101b 11/8/09 10:15 p.m.
                                   Re: There's so much love here Frankie.Frankie 11/8/09 6:22 p.m.
                                         Re: There's so much love here Frankie.Avateur 11/8/09 6:32 p.m.
                                               Re: There's so much love here Frankie.Frankie 11/8/09 6:41 p.m.
                                               Re: There's so much love here Frankie.j41m3z 11/8/09 7:55 p.m.
                                                     Re: There's so much love here Frankie.Avateur 11/8/09 9:39 p.m.
                             Spartans Never Die...Metalingus627 11/9/09 2:39 a.m.
                                   Re: Spartans Never Die...Ragashingo 11/9/09 3:11 a.m.
                                         My Theory *long*Metalingus627 11/10/09 6:21 p.m.
                                               Re: My Theory *long*Leisandir 11/10/09 7:07 p.m.
                                                     Re: My Theory *long*Metalingus627 11/10/09 7:40 p.m.
                                                           Re: My Theory *long*Leisandir 11/10/09 8:18 p.m.
                                                                 Re: My Theory *long*Leisandir 11/10/09 8:22 p.m.
                                                                       Re: My Theory *long*Metalingus627 11/10/09 9:02 p.m.
                                                                             Re: My Theory *long*Leisandir 11/10/09 10:20 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: My Theory *long*Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 11/11/09 8:26 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: My Theory *long*Leisandir 11/11/09 11:48 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: My Theory *long*Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 11/11/09 11:59 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: My Theory *long*Metalingus627 11/11/09 5:13 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: My Theory *long*Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 11/11/09 6:37 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.