glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Dear Frankie; please stop making up new Spartans.
Posted By: InnerRaygDate: 11/8/09 4:16 a.m.

So I've been wrangling for a long time with the number of Spartans we know of. It's kind of a fun past time of mine, and for the most part I've managed to find a way to keep everything in order. But now the introduction of Cal-141 has completely shattered any chance I have of keeping the canon straight, and I know that since every property has to make up their own special Spartans instead of using the literally dozens of characters available, we are bound to have more and more doing this same thing in the coming Comics and Legends animations.

And the very fact that we have so many available Spartans to use is what bothers me so much about this. Because Cal didn't need to exist. Even taking into account the fact that she had to die, we already had a Spartan practically perfect to fit into her existing role. I'm talking of course about Sheila. She's a female Spartan who died in an almost completely unexplained way who Dr. Halsey is personally aware of dying (if one assumes O'Brien does fulfill her wish to give the good doctor her data, then this fits nicely). You could even avoid the "big reveal" of her being a female by just assigning the Spartan a number until the very end. Wouldn't break canon, nobody ever calls any of the other Spartans by their names either.

So while it's too late to go back on the Babysitter (except in my mind), I plead with you to do something with the other dozen spartans we know of with no stories. Need a spartan to die or disappear? Randall is your guy. What about some Spartans with no background to just perform a mission? Well you've got plenty to work with. Malcom, Keiiichi, Isaac, Vinh, Joshua, Anton, Li, William, Grace, etc, etc.

Appreciate any thoughts or comments.

A side note: My official count goes by what Halo Wars tells us about 28 spartans remaining alive at the beginning of Reach, and the original count of 33 fully function spartans from the book. This gives us the wiggle room of five spartans dying or going missing during the time inbetween, which is nicely fitted by sam, kurt, randall, sheila, and maria. The three missing are assumed to be Grey Team, so to make my numbers work I have to assume the Spartans from Halo Wars make it back in time to participate in the battle. If it turns out they never made it back, than either Grey Team had to be participating in Reach or canon is already broken and I might as well give up.

Message Index

Replies:

Dear Frankie; please stop making up new Spartans.InnerRayg 11/8/09 4:16 a.m.
     Re: Dear Frankie; please stop making up new SpartaRosco-128 11/8/09 5:16 a.m.
     HBO: Loose canon. *NM*Stuntmutt 11/8/09 7:18 a.m.
     Re: Dear Frankie; please stop making up new Spartareprobate 11/8/09 7:22 a.m.
     Re: Dear Frankie; please stop making up new SpartaArteenEsben 11/8/09 8:27 a.m.
     Re: Dear Frankie; please stop making up new SpartaAfroRyan 11/8/09 8:44 a.m.
           Re: Dear Frankie; please stop making up new SpartaFrankie 11/8/09 10:20 a.m.
                 Re: Dear Frankie; please stop making up new SpartaArchilen 11/8/09 10:27 a.m.
                       Re: Dear Frankie; please stop making up new SpartaFrankie 11/8/09 10:45 a.m.
                             I knew it! *NM*Vincent 11/8/09 10:57 a.m.
                             There's so much love here Frankie.Speedhuntr 11/8/09 5:10 p.m.
                                   I know I love FrankieInnerRayg 11/8/09 5:23 p.m.
                                         Grapes are delicious!!! :) *NM*chris101b 11/8/09 10:15 p.m.
                                   Re: There's so much love here Frankie.Frankie 11/8/09 6:22 p.m.
                                         Re: There's so much love here Frankie.Avateur 11/8/09 6:32 p.m.
                                               Re: There's so much love here Frankie.Frankie 11/8/09 6:41 p.m.
                                               Re: There's so much love here Frankie.j41m3z 11/8/09 7:55 p.m.
                                                     Re: There's so much love here Frankie.Avateur 11/8/09 9:39 p.m.
                             Spartans Never Die...Metalingus627 11/9/09 2:39 a.m.
                                   Re: Spartans Never Die...Ragashingo 11/9/09 3:11 a.m.
                                         My Theory *long*Metalingus627 11/10/09 6:21 p.m.
                                               Re: My Theory *long*Leisandir 11/10/09 7:07 p.m.
                                                     Re: My Theory *long*Metalingus627 11/10/09 7:40 p.m.
                                                           Re: My Theory *long*Leisandir 11/10/09 8:18 p.m.
                                                                 Re: My Theory *long*Leisandir 11/10/09 8:22 p.m.
                                                                       Re: My Theory *long*Metalingus627 11/10/09 9:02 p.m.
                                                                             Re: My Theory *long*Leisandir 11/10/09 10:20 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: My Theory *long*Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 11/11/09 8:26 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: My Theory *long*Leisandir 11/11/09 11:48 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: My Theory *long*Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 11/11/09 11:59 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: My Theory *long*Metalingus627 11/11/09 5:13 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: My Theory *long*Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 11/11/09 6:37 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.