Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Choice defines a person.
Posted By: Peptuck <peptuck3@hotmail.com>Date: 9/6/06 9:25 a.m.

In Response To: Game Design - What were we MEANT to do? (Ross Mills [subnova])

: So... What do you think we were MEANT to do at this point? Kill him or leave
: him?

When one is confronted with something that obviously is meant to be fought or defeated, one has to defeat it. You don't have much of a choice in the matter. That cowardly Grunt you'd just as rather leave alone because you feel sorry for him has to die, as otherwise he will eventually shoot you or your allies.

Similarly, Marines/Elites shoot at enemies and try not to shoot you, which makes them, logically, your allies and people you should protect.

However, when presented with such a situation as a Marine who is shooting at you and is clearly out of his mind with fear and terror, things get....complicated. I'm not sure if Bungie even intended for their to be anything you were "suppossed" to do with him; unlike the Covenant or your Marines, there is no defined role that this deranged fellow plays.

In such a case, the decision as to what you do with him suddenly lies entirely within your own hands. This creates ambigiuty of purpose and instantly makes the world a lot more gray than the clear-cut black and white you've dealt with before. Here you've got a deranged Marine who you should, by all rights, be helping, but you can't save him. This makes things more complicated. Much like the Arbiter and the Covenant in general in Halo 2, things suddenly become a lot more complex and difficult to decide on, and preconcieved notions go out the window. The mere fact that you're asking the question of "what am I meant to do with this guy?" shows that.

In the end, what you do with the Marine is almost a window into yourself, as you and only you make the decision as to how you react to this thing that doesn't fit the game's comfortable, preconceived and clear-cut modus operandi.

I like it :P

Message Index

Replies:

Game Design - What were we MEANT to do?Ross Mills [subnova] 9/6/06 6:19 a.m.
     Re: Game Design - What were we MEANT to do?Ciarán 9/6/06 6:43 a.m.
           Lob a Plasma Grenade on him :P *NM*Bluestone 9/6/06 6:45 a.m.
           Re: Game Design - What were we MEANT to do?Ross Mills [subnova] 9/6/06 7:10 a.m.
                 Re: Game Design - What were we MEANT to do?Hawaiian Pig 9/6/06 7:30 a.m.
                       Re: Game Design - What were we MEANT to do?Grantix 9/6/06 7:37 a.m.
                             Re: Game Design - What were we MEANT to do?Speedhuntr 9/6/06 8:09 a.m.
                                   Re: Game Design - What were we MEANT to do?Count Zero 9/6/06 9:51 a.m.
                                         Re: Game Design - What were we MEANT to do?vlad3163 9/6/06 10:13 a.m.
                                         Re: Game Design - What were we MEANT to do?Vironex 9/7/06 12:43 a.m.
                                               ESRB does rate games.Narcogen 9/7/06 6:14 a.m.
                                   Shotgun to the face?Narcogen 9/7/06 6:12 a.m.
                                         Re: Shotgun to the face?Louis Wu 9/7/06 6:37 a.m.
                                               Re: Shotgun to the face?Narcogen 9/7/06 7:38 a.m.
                       Re: Game Design - What were we MEANT to do?jester_343 9/8/06 10:14 a.m.
     Re: Game Design - What were we MEANT to do?serpx 9/6/06 8:09 a.m.
           Re: Game Design - What were we MEANT to do?Rox 9/6/06 8:37 a.m.
     Choice defines a person.Peptuck 9/6/06 9:25 a.m.
           I just shoot him. And I like it :)Captain Spark 9/6/06 9:58 a.m.
                 Re: I just shoot him. And I like it :)KoCKynVainn 9/6/06 10:16 a.m.
           Re: Choice defines a person.Narcogen 9/7/06 6:16 a.m.
                 Re: Choice defines a person.Bodie 9/7/06 6:22 a.m.
                 Re: Choice defines a person.Peptuck 9/7/06 8:45 a.m.
                       Re: Choice defines a person.scarab 9/8/06 4:04 p.m.
                             Re: Choice defines a person.Peptuck 9/8/06 4:13 p.m.
                                   Re: Choice defines a person.scarab 9/8/06 4:53 p.m.
     Re: Game Design - What were we MEANT to do?Simpsons Rule 9/6/06 10:47 a.m.
           Missing cutscene and carnivorous floodNarcogen 9/7/06 6:22 a.m.
                 Re: Missing cutscene and carnivorous floodShortRoundMcfly 9/8/06 1:44 p.m.
     Re: Game Design - What were we MEANT to do?KP 9/6/06 12:36 p.m.
           Re: Game Design - What were we MEANT to do?Raigns 9/6/06 2:49 p.m.
     The first time I played it...jester_343 9/6/06 2:49 p.m.
     I never shot him :(Jillybean 9/6/06 2:57 p.m.
           You could mercifully...Blackstar 9/6/06 4:22 p.m.
                 Re: You could mercifully...Jillybean 9/6/06 5:30 p.m.
                       Re: You could mercifully...jdogmoney 9/6/06 5:33 p.m.
                             Re: You could mercifully...LoneRanger 2.5 9/6/06 9:48 p.m.
                                   Re: You could mercifully...Jillybean 9/7/06 6:35 a.m.
                                         Re: You could mercifully...Bodie 9/7/06 6:46 a.m.
     According to Jaime...Marty the Elder 9/6/06 8:53 p.m.
           Re: According to Jaime...vlad3163 9/6/06 10:31 p.m.
     Re: Game Design - What were we MEANT to do?The Freeloader 9/6/06 10:31 p.m.
     Re: Game Design - What were we MEANT to do?Narcogen 9/7/06 6:07 a.m.
           Re: Game Design - What were we MEANT to do?vlad3163 9/7/06 11:24 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.