Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Musings on the Nathan Interview
Posted By: Shataan <gjen@home.com>Date: 9/26/99 12:32 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Musings on the Nathan Interview (Nathan)

> Nothing would please me more than for you not to notice charred
> armor until three months after you've been playing and then go
> "Damn, that's cool" when you do have a moment to take
> a look around. However, as I said, you can't please all the
> people all the time. And you seem to have disregarded the parts
> of the interview that mentioned the perspective changes and/or
> options we are considered implementing. To be honest, you seem
> to be looking at everything with your "first-person"
> filter on.

I have to do this again , and go thru this list to clarify.

1st person blinders... I don t give a rats ass anymore about it, I ve stated 3rd person will be very cool in this game... others like Mark have convinced me of this. I read the interview, and disregarded nothing. It was a great interview IMHO. <S> You ll see no 1st person/3rd person disagreement from me.

> Well, until you have yet to play the game, I'd say it's hard to
> say what exactly you'll be watching. You may NEED to be watching
> your character - or your environment. Who knows what clues as to
> your life (or death) may be there.

If the game has ebb and flow, meaning slow and faster pace at various differing times... yes.. I agree with your statement.

> This is especially true in the single-player game. Don't forget
> that this game isn't entirely multi-player - maybe it will be
> for you; but it certainly won't be for others.

I m very much a single player gamer, but am looking forward to multiplayer, as I dig multiplay like almost everyone I know.

> They will be there because they are fun. Period. And, quite
> possibly, very important in how you play the game.

> So now I know what direction I was hit from ... hmmm ...

I can see this will have importance, good example, I can see the logic in this.

> This goes far beyond "looking at the scenery", but you
> almost speak as if you've already seen and played the game. I
> can see why this thread created so many problems - some of you
> make an incredible amount of assumptions about things you have
> neither seen nor have been spoken of. As was also mentioned in
> the interview, charred armor is "one tiny example" of
> some of the things that can be created.

well you make assumptions too. You assume that the game you create is "nothing like"... as far as gameplay, any other game out there. Will we "walk" in this game?? Run, shoot, command, defend, repair possibly.. the list goes on??? Well... I ve played lotsa games that have these features so yes, I think that it s safe to say Halo will not be alien to me in these areas. lol It s not a mistake to assume that there s certain things we re going to do in Halo, that we have done them in other games too. Just watching the movie brings up memories of other games.

I will say that visually, I ve never seen anything like Halo, what I ve seen in the demo movie. So.. visually, I m with you there.

> Just because I am not willing to release the full details of a
> game scheduled for next year's release doesn't mean they won't
> be there.

Hey, no problems there either. Where d this come from? lol

> Well, I certainly wasn't trying to "sell" a single
> individual. Perhaps you'll just have to wait and see. You seem
> so strongly opinionated from the outset that it's obvious you
> will need proof, such as your friend saying "you have to
> play this game". If that's the case, so be it. I don't
> think there's anything I could say that would change your mind
> at this point.

I know you re not trying to sell the individual... lol, you are trying to sell the masses tho... I m one of them "waves", I m the one that read this, and I don t agree with this statement about the percieved importance of seeing effects on my character. And yes.. I m feel very strongly about my oppinion, as much as you do yours. Maybe I ve mistaken your meaning? If worded differently, I might be swayed to your way of thinking. You cared enough to reply to this, maybe we can try this again, and I could see the logic to your statement? This might be one area that we as the gamers are going to have to wait and see it in action, as actions sometimes do speak louder than words. <--- This is something I "can" see the logic too. As since Halo will have so much that we haven t experienced, all the explanations from you may not be enough for us to fully appreciate with out experiencing it for our selves.

> If that's all you drew out of it, then I'm not sure if you were
> reading the same interview. But to each their own.

I loved the rest of the whole interview. Just stated that your reasoning about the importance of seeing the effects of war on my character ...the idea doesn t seem sound to me. Tho, I do love the idea of seeing this on other characters. Btw? I love how you wrote this..... "if that s all.... to each there own". hhmmmm

> I can tell you this: the game will not be "so
> fast-paced" that you no longer need to think to play - just
> jump around and fire at people's feet. That's not the speed
> we're talking about here. Yes, things will be happening around
> you. It won't be to the point that the person with the fastest
> trigger-finger wins. That ... well, at least to me, isn't a
> whole lot of fun.

"No longer need to think to play". Sounds like a finger pointed at DM type games, Quake, UT... this isn t the speed I was talking about, and those type of games are not "my" kinda games. And you re very right, those games are ok for a minute to kill, but not a whole lot of lasting fun.

When "I" mean "fast paced".. I mean I m not "doddling" to finish my objectives. I go about my job at hand, if it requires stealth, I go "quietly", if I have to run at a specific time, I run my ass off. I m not talking Quake style 1st person play, as I just know a ton of you are thinking....hope that s clarified.

But... if your game requires me to be looking constantly at my character.... I guess I ll be doing that.

> If you have such strong opinions on the subject, I'd wait until
> you see more details before being so judgmental - especially
> about something you're not in the room creating. Everyone has a
> right to their opinion, but I've heard the same thing ad nauseum
> - which is basically ignoring everything positive, while
> latching on to everything that supports your viewpoint.

I m not bing judgemental. I ve read your interview, and disagree with the importance of one tiny statement about the "things I d miss seeing" things like armor char, and the importance of seeing this, again... your interview was awesome.

> Honestly, I don't mean this as an attack, nor do I intend to
> stir up a long discussion on the matter. However, I viewed some
> of your comments as highly biased and quite a bit unfair.

No offence intended, and none taken. Mine was not an attck either. I think what we have here is miscommunication, and that s all. I ve stated here, that I loved the interview, and only disagree with a single statement you made on what you feel is important in one little area., and I failed to see it as such. I made some examples in a reply to the interview., that the meaning was misread. I oppologise for this.

I myself can t wait to play Halo in 3rd person. I can t be any more forward about this... and you d have to be insane not to catch the meaning of my writing this.

Funny how saying I disagree with the value of armor char from my own perspective stirs this much shit. With a couple of things you ve said in this reply, I can now see the "actual use and importance" of seeing a weapons hit on my armor. But the way your statement about this was originally written.. as I read it....it seemed to me you were placing great importance on the "wow factor eye candy value" of seeing the char on my armor.

"just think what you d miss... by using other views.." by not seeing my own armor char. I didn t see the wow eye candy calue of this. But I do see the real use of it now that you ve clarified.

Gary

> Nathan

Message Index

Replies:

Musings on the Nathan InterviewMark Levin 9/25/99 6:01 p.m.
     Re: Musings on the Nathan InterviewShataan 9/26/99 1:26 a.m.
           Re: Musings on the Nathan InterviewNathan 9/26/99 3:30 a.m.
                 Some more musings (and suggestions...)mad.max 9/26/99 7:20 a.m.
                       Who's Really in Charge ... ;)Nathan 9/26/99 4:15 p.m.
                             Re: Who's Really in Charge ... ;)Shataan 9/26/99 6:32 p.m.
                             Awwww....mad.max 9/27/99 9:44 a.m.
                                   Re: Awwww....Nathan 9/28/99 12:24 a.m.
                             Re: Who's Really in Charge ... ;)Forensic 9/27/99 12:18 p.m.
                 Re: Musings on the Nathan InterviewShataan 9/26/99 11:45 a.m.
                 well i must say....Adeamus [IMG] 9/26/99 11:47 a.m.
                       Re: well i must say....Mr. Eez 9/26/99 4:31 p.m.
                       Re: well i must say....Loren Petrich 9/26/99 5:51 p.m.
                 Re: Musings on the Nathan InterviewShataan 9/26/99 12:32 p.m.
                       Re: Musings on the Nathan InterviewBen Schodek 9/26/99 2:03 p.m.
                             Re: Musings on the Nathan InterviewShataan 9/26/99 6:25 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.