Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Musings on the Nathan Interview
Posted By: Mark Levin <mglevin@uiuc.edu>Date: 9/25/99 6:01 p.m.

What he said, and what it could mean.

"Unique aiming system that will bridge the gap between 'jumping up and down, firing all over the place' and the difficulties inherent in 3rd person aiming."

Well, I guess we can lose the Oath now... It looks like not only have they officially committed to 3rd person, but they've found solutions to the problems brought up during the argument. Please, no one post "I told you so!" ;) Though I do wonder what this solution is... Oni (currently) uses a sort of laser sight, visible only to you, to aim guns. Nocturne uses a beautiful glowing cone of light for targeting. One solution, hinted at in the movie when the marines are looking out at the grndsprtcrft, is a control that will bring the camera down to aim along the gun's barrel.

"INTELLIGENT gameplay will reward more than twitch reflexes."

As before, people who just jump around and fire randomly will be quickly killed. There will have to be some kind of overall command interface, and a way of ensuring that players actually follow those orders. Maybe there will be a "insubordination rating" in your halo.net profile or something. Anyway, Halo's teamplay will definitely involve more than "you go over there, I go over here."

"Music and sound effects that will crush the competition."

Total Audio is on board for sound, and they did a great job on Myth(II), so I'm not worried there. Music is different subject: Will Halo have in-game music? I don't think so, Bungie prefers ambient sounds and I agree. However, a strong argument for in-game music is Unreal, which uses music very well to manipulate mood, and the Halo trailer is maybe half as good without the chanting. Perhaps a night fight in a maze of canyons could benefit from a musical score...

"Indoor environment as rich and complex ... as the beautiful outdoor vistas"

If my theory is correct and Halo's interiors engine is the long-forgotten Marathon 3 engine updated to Halo's level, then it could have as much power for interiors as most corridor shooters around its release. We've already seen volumetric lighting and shading, also a VERY large room. Maybe some indoor vehicle combat... <drool>

"I'm not making any promises, but you can bet we're imagining it... and maybe doing a little bit more than imagining."

Heeheehee...

"A few comments about 3rd and 1st person [which I am not C&Ping]"

It looks like Bungie has a)Indeed read the whole debate and taken the arguments seriously b) thought very hard on this themselves
c) found a solution.

Surrendering:

It looks like the "surrender" move was just put in the demo because it looked cool. No guarantee that surrendering will be possible in the final game.

A reference to destroying a base:

I still believe that actually blowing a whole building into persistent pieces cannot be simulated in real time. However, if Halo inherits Marathon's "smash the control panels" paradigm (can't think of a better word), missions that accomlish basically the same thing could be possible. You could sneak into a base and cut power to whatever is used by the other team to get equipment and resources. They could then repair it with a toolkit they had the foresight to purchase before the power went. Unless they didn't in which case they're screwed and they have to pull out and find a working base. Or you could take over a seemingly useless building by installing various components and getting power back. ::puts down the crack pipe :: ;)

Comments on networking model:

Since Halo's network code is pretty much not even started, speculation on massively multiplayer games is just that, speculation.

Message Index

Replies:

Musings on the Nathan InterviewMark Levin 9/25/99 6:01 p.m.
     Re: Musings on the Nathan InterviewShataan 9/26/99 1:26 a.m.
           Re: Musings on the Nathan InterviewNathan 9/26/99 3:30 a.m.
                 Some more musings (and suggestions...)mad.max 9/26/99 7:20 a.m.
                       Who's Really in Charge ... ;)Nathan 9/26/99 4:15 p.m.
                             Re: Who's Really in Charge ... ;)Shataan 9/26/99 6:32 p.m.
                             Awwww....mad.max 9/27/99 9:44 a.m.
                                   Re: Awwww....Nathan 9/28/99 12:24 a.m.
                             Re: Who's Really in Charge ... ;)Forensic 9/27/99 12:18 p.m.
                 Re: Musings on the Nathan InterviewShataan 9/26/99 11:45 a.m.
                 well i must say....Adeamus [IMG] 9/26/99 11:47 a.m.
                       Re: well i must say....Mr. Eez 9/26/99 4:31 p.m.
                       Re: well i must say....Loren Petrich 9/26/99 5:51 p.m.
                 Re: Musings on the Nathan InterviewShataan 9/26/99 12:32 p.m.
                       Re: Musings on the Nathan InterviewBen Schodek 9/26/99 2:03 p.m.
                             Re: Musings on the Nathan InterviewShataan 9/26/99 6:25 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.