/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2
Posted By: scratskinnerDate: 11/18/17 3:39 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2 (Forrest of B.org)

: Tom and Xiu being cast back into Virtuality when their magic bodies are
: destroyed implies that the very ability to project themselves into reality
: was destroyed, which if you can do that, you should also be able to do to
: the Demons.

: Maybe they shouldn't actually be killed the the Demons after all. Maybe
: they're just helpless in the sea of chaos that the demons create, and they
: pop back into Virtuality themselves to see what the hell just happened. Or
: maybe they try to unplug Xio, since the Demons can't kill them since
: they're made of magic, and the Queen sees that coming and unplugs them
: herself.

I wonder if the Queen could arrange things such that Sue and Tom are keeping the Demons from killing Xio, or causing him to be disconnected? Or some other hapless Sphidi left un-Demonified for this purpose? (Did the Queen of Hell get her own magic body?)

: That would mean that just killing Xio would not defeat the Demons, and
: undermine the mechanism of the whole ending, requiring it be replaced with
: some super long arduous battle to clean up the Demons across the whole
: galaxy, like trying to stamp out ever last cockroach to defeat an
: infestation. Also, the Queen would not stand for that, any more than she
: would stand for offloading virtual minds to another Virtuality (or into
: regular robot bodies), and she'd immediately pull the plug on her end of
: the deal.

I figured the Queen would ensure this decentralization would not remove her stranglehold on the Sphidi. (like, pull the plug if any Sphidi disconnected, or attempted circumvention in some other manner) And that there would not be lots of unleashed Demons when Xio died, but lots of bricked Demons, because they were running on the Virtuality that now suddenly ceased to exist when Xio left it.

: This does remind me of another plot hole that was worrying me and I forgot to
: mention before. If magic bodies are a thing and Metis just can't trust
: full access to the magic to fallible human minds, then why not just have
: magic-bodied automata (the safe, fully subservient kind) as an army to
: fight Kron and company? Or at the very least, magic-powered weapons that
: humans can use? That's basically what the magic Sphidi bodies are: magic
: controlled by safe, limited AI doing only a safe, limited kind of magic
: (until the Queen figured out a loophole in those safeguards at least).

It's possible she's worried enough about Kron that she's doing all this in addition. Alternately, automata may have unforeseen complications. See also: Asiron, and that other set of automata. And magic-powered weaponry could fall into the hands of the enemy. (Though Kron might have to worry about underlings feeling empowered enough to turn on him. How popular is Kron with his subjects?)

: That is a good thought. I like it. Although, the necessity of it in the first
: place still hinges on Virtuality-independent robot bodies having been a
: thing already, which the Queen would not have allowed for the
: aforementioned reasons. And in any case it doesn't answer the question of,
: if not a grey goo scenario, what exactly is the deal with the Demons
: consuming stars and planets and stuff.

I figure eating stars and planets falls under "could ever care about" by ensuring life can never arise again.

Also Demons replicating out of control fits her omnicide motive, but not her "maximum suffering to Xio" motive. Somewhere along the line, errors in self-replication may cut a Demon or million off of Virtuality, creating a blind spot where Xio may hope. (come to think of it, replication errors that allow for intelligent Demons would disallow certain omnicide)

: (snipped)

: I don't remember that ever being a thing, though I might have said something
: using that figure of speech once (to gesture at a cliche'd happy ending).

Like, proto enough that the only real idea you had was that silly ending, and you thought it was cool at the time. I think it involved having shotgunned some random boss alien prior. (and maybe you (the player) were wearing a cowboy hat)

Still not ringing any bells?

: Some of it was originally meant to be that. There were a bunch of different
: games of different types that I dreamt of making in my teens, and the
: backstories for them eventually grew and merged, and then after giving up
: on game design entirely that combined story took on a life of it's own
: eventually becoming the Chronicles. "Beyond the Eye of Chaos"
: was for a kind of adventure/FPS game called Asiron, "Meij
: Endaren" was for a Myth-like real-time tactical game called Nurbal,
: "The Rising of the Darklight" was for an actual Myth mod whose
: name I don't even remember now (if it ever had a proper one),
: "Within/Opening" and "Across/Through" (the Eye of
: Chaos) were mostly for a space MMORPG called Portal plus (for the Mars
: stuff) a simple game design document called Red Sands I made for a college
: assignment, "Darak Meij" was an FPS-ish game idea, and much of
: "Pantheon Synthesis" was for a Myth mod that turned into a
: standalone "first-person tactical" game called Dynasty. What
: became "The Falling of the Darklight" and "Pantheon
: Genesis" was largely conceived around the same time about 15 years
: ago as more extensive backstory for some of those, just before I gave up
: on game development completely.

How may of these progressed beyond the "neat idea" stage before getting assimilated into Quelouva?

: Much of the "Antiquity" series, having already been implied by the
: later Ehrban stories, was actually written almost exactly as it appears
: now about a decade ago when I first started to take a stab at writing this
: as a story for its own sake. "Lievus Meij" was implied by that
: and the later stuff but never actually written. There was just a big hole
: in between "Falling" and "Rising" in the Darklight
: series. I had only the vaguest notions of what happened between the end of
: Nurbal and when the Ehrban showed up at the end fo Portal, so the whole
: Nurbal series was unwritten. Likewise I had only the vaguest notion of
: what happened after the fall of Earth at the end of Portal, in what would
: become the Resurgent seies, and even vaguer notions of what happened
: before the Darklight series, in what would become the Otherworld series. I
: had a bunch of different ideas over the years for what the conclusion of
: the whole thing would be, and it wasn't until I decided to adapt the
: concept of my "How The Matrix Should Have Ended" fanfic to
: bridge the end of Darklight into that final series that the big picture
: for the whole thing really congealed in my head.

What were these different ideas for the ending, and what made them not work?

: I think you should ask her that. :-)

Dang! knew I should have ambiguated the pronoun.

: Thank you both for all of your interest. I don't know if I could have
: persevered in this all year long if nobody cared about it but me.

You started this thread in the latter half of August. Had you had feedback prior to then?

On a side note, this thread's nesting is wider than my screen is (why I split off that Virtuality Transcendent reply) and I'm wondering if I'm the only one with that issue.

I'm thinking split Nurbal, Resurgent, and Virtuality announcements into their own separate reply chains, appended to the opening post. Is this something I could ask Claude Errera(sp?) to do?

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 8/24/17 10:00 p.m.
     Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaGeneral-RADIX 8/25/17 4:53 a.m.
     Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaGeneral-RADIX 8/25/17 10:26 a.m.
           Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 8/25/17 11:06 a.m.
                 Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaGeneral-RADIX 8/25/17 11:31 a.m.
                       Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 8/25/17 11:37 a.m.
     Re: The Chronicles of Quelouvascratskinner 8/25/17 8:45 p.m.
           Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 8/25/17 9:47 p.m.
                 Re: The Chronicles of Quelouvascratskinner 8/25/17 10:53 p.m.
                       Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 8/25/17 11:36 p.m.
                             Re: The Chronicles of Quelouva — MMOSsCan-ned Food 8/26/17 7:40 p.m.
     Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaGeneral-RADIX 8/26/17 5:10 p.m.
           Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 8/27/17 8:01 a.m.
                 Re: The Chronicles of Quelouvascratskinner 8/27/17 1:13 p.m.
                       Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 8/27/17 6:22 p.m.
     Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaCan-ned Food 8/26/17 6:36 p.m.
     Nurbal Colony: Part 1Forrest of B.org 9/6/17 9:45 p.m.
           Re: Nurbal Colony: Part 1Forrest of B.org 9/7/17 8:28 p.m.
                 Re: Nurbal Colony: Part 1scratskinner 9/7/17 9:24 p.m.
                       Re: Nurbal Colony: Part 1Forrest of B.org 9/7/17 9:50 p.m.
                             Re: Nurbal ColonyCan-ned Food 9/8/17 1:42 p.m.
                                   Re: Nurbal Colonyirons 9/15/17 2:53 p.m.
                                         Re: Nurbal ColonyForrest of B.org 9/18/17 1:26 p.m.
                                               Re: Nurbal Colonyirons 9/19/17 2:11 p.m.
                 Re: Nurbal Colony: Part 3Forrest of B.org 9/8/17 8:59 p.m.
                       Re: Nurbal Colony: Part 3General-RADIX 9/8/17 9:59 p.m.
                             Re: Nurbal Colony: Part 3Forrest of B.org 9/8/17 10:44 p.m.
                       Re: Nurbal Colony: Part 3VikingBoyBilly 9/9/17 7:52 a.m.
                             Re: Nurbal Colony: Part 3Forrest of B.org 9/9/17 8:13 a.m.
                                   Re: Nurbal Colony: Part 3VikingBoyBilly 9/9/17 3:18 p.m.
                                         Re: Nurbal Colony: Part 3Forrest of B.org 9/9/17 3:56 p.m.
                                               Re: Nurbal Colony: Part 3Forrest of B.org 9/11/17 4:00 p.m.
                                                     Re: Nurbal Colony: Part 3VikingBoyBilly 9/15/17 3:29 p.m.
                                                           Re: Nurbal Colony: Part 3Forrest of B.org 9/19/17 3:11 p.m.
                       Re: Nurbal Legacy: Part 1Forrest of B.org 9/12/17 10:12 p.m.
                             Re: Nurbal Legacy: Part 1General-RADIX 9/12/17 11:17 p.m.
                             Re: Nurbal Legacy: Part 2Forrest of B.org 9/13/17 10:06 p.m.
                                   Re: Nurbal Legacy: Part 3Forrest of B.org 9/14/17 9:51 p.m.
                                         Re: Nurbal Legacy: Part 3Forrest of B.org 9/19/17 2:35 p.m.
                                               Re: Nurbal Enemy: Part 2Forrest of B.org 9/19/17 10:28 p.m.
                                                     Re: Nurbal Enemy: Part 2Forrest of B.org 9/20/17 7:48 p.m.
                                                           Columbia Resurgent: Part 1Forrest of B.org 10/3/17 9:15 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Columbia Resurgent: Part 2Forrest of B.org 10/4/17 9:29 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Columbia Resurgent: Part 3Forrest of B.org 10/5/17 9:32 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Columbia Resurgent: Part 3Forrest of B.org 10/10/17 9:57 p.m.
                                                                                   Terra Resurgent: Part 2Forrest of B.org 10/11/17 9:36 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Terra Resurgent: Part 2scratskinner 10/12/17 12:22 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Terra Resurgent: Part 2Forrest of B.org 10/12/17 12:24 p.m.
                                                                                         Terra Resurgent: Part 3Forrest of B.org 10/12/17 9:31 p.m.
                                                                                               Sol Resurgent: Part 1Forrest of B.org 10/17/17 10:37 p.m.
                                                                                                     Sol Resurgent: Part 2Forrest of B.org 10/18/17 10:09 p.m.
                                                                                                           Sol Resurgent: Part 3Forrest of B.org 10/19/17 9:49 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Sol Resurgent: Part 3scratskinner 10/19/17 10:45 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Sol Resurgent: Part 3Forrest of B.org 10/19/17 11:24 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Virtuality Transcendent: Part 1Forrest of B.org 10/30/17 10:10 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Virtuality Transcendent: Part 2Forrest of B.org 10/31/17 9:31 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Virtuality Transcendent: Part 3Forrest of B.org 11/1/17 9:52 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Virtuality Transcendent: Part 3scratskinner 11/7/17 9:05 p.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: Virtuality Transcendent: Part 3Forrest of B.org 11/7/17 9:20 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Virtuality Incarnate: Part 1Forrest of B.org 11/7/17 9:08 p.m.
                                                                                                                                         Virtuality Incarnate: Part 2Forrest of B.org 11/8/17 8:25 p.m.
                                                                                                                                               Virtuality Incarnate: Part 3Forrest of B.org 11/9/17 8:55 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                     Virtuality Immanent: Part 1Forrest of B.org 11/14/17 8:55 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                           Virtuality Immanent: Part 2Forrest of B.org 11/15/17 9:03 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                 Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2scratskinner 11/16/17 1:46 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                       Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2Forrest of B.org 11/16/17 1:20 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                             Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2scratskinner 11/17/17 2:40 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2Forrest of B.org 11/17/17 4:00 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2VikingBoyBilly 11/17/17 5:57 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2Forrest of B.org 11/17/17 10:08 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                     Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2VikingBoyBilly 11/18/17 2:35 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                           Re: Eternal stuffForrest of B.org 11/20/17 10:02 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Re: Eternal stuffVikingBoyBilly 11/20/17 2:27 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Re: Eternal stuffGeneral-RADIX 11/20/17 6:32 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Re: Eternal stuffForrest of B.org 11/20/17 8:21 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Re: Eternal stuffGeneral-RADIX 11/20/17 9:19 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Re: Eternal stuffVikingBoyBilly 11/22/17 1:46 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: Eternal stuffGeneral-RADIX 11/22/17 3:30 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: Eternal stuffnevets01 11/25/17 4:37 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: Eternal stuffPerseusSpartacus 11/25/17 10:14 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: Eternal stuffForrest of B.org 11/26/17 9:25 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: Eternal stuffGeneral-RADIX 11/26/17 10:21 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2scratskinner 11/18/17 3:39 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2Forrest of B.org 11/20/17 10:33 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                     Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2 3cscratskinner 11/22/17 7:20 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                           Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2 3cForrest of B.org 11/22/17 9:54 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2General-RADIX 11/18/17 6:37 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2Forrest of B.org 11/20/17 10:40 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2General-RADIX 11/20/17 1:51 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                 Virtuality Immanent: Part 3Forrest of B.org 11/16/17 9:57 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                       Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 3scratskinner 11/17/17 12:38 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                       Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 3General-RADIX 11/17/17 7:15 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                       Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 3VikingBoyBilly 11/17/17 12:35 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                             Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 3Forrest of B.org 11/17/17 3:23 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 3VikingBoyBilly 11/17/17 6:06 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 3Forrest of B.org 11/17/17 10:05 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                       Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 3nevets01 11/17/17 12:46 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                       The Chronicles of Quelouva are DONE! (ish)Forrest of B.org 12/29/17 8:31 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                             Re: The Chronicles of Quelouva are DONE! (ish)General-RADIX 12/30/17 1:47 a.m.
     some random thoughtsscratskinner 9/9/17 12:29 a.m.
           Re: some random thoughtsForrest of B.org 9/9/17 8:40 a.m.
                 Re: some random thoughtsscratskinner 9/10/17 2:19 a.m.
                       Re: some random thoughtsForrest of B.org 9/11/17 9:35 a.m.
                             Re: some random thoughtsscratskinner 9/12/17 5:14 p.m.
                                   Re: some random thoughtsForrest of B.org 9/12/17 6:24 p.m.
                                         Re: some random thoughtsscratskinner 9/14/17 7:53 p.m.
                                               Re: some random thoughtsForrest of B.org 9/14/17 10:13 p.m.
                                                     Re: some random thoughtsscratskinner 9/16/17 11:01 a.m.
                                                           Re: some random thoughtsForrest of B.org 9/16/17 2:56 p.m.
                                                                 Re: some random thoughtsscratskinner 9/17/17 12:13 p.m.
                                                                       Re: some random thoughtsForrest of B.org 9/18/17 8:10 a.m.
                             Re: some random thoughts 2bscratskinner 9/16/17 9:12 a.m.
                                   Re: some random thoughts 2bForrest of B.org 9/16/17 2:58 p.m.
                                         Re: some random thoughts 2bscratskinner 9/17/17 12:31 p.m.
                                               Re: some random thoughts 2bForrest of B.org 9/18/17 7:41 a.m.
           Re: some random thoughtsForrest of B.org 9/11/17 3:37 p.m.
           Re: some random thoughtsForrest of B.org 9/14/17 1:55 p.m.
     Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaGeneral-RADIX 9/11/17 8:02 p.m.
     Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 9/28/17 9:43 p.m.
           Re: The Chronicles of Quelouvascratskinner 9/30/17 1:11 a.m.
                 Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 10/2/17 9:56 a.m.
                       Re: The Chronicles of Quelouvascratskinner 10/7/17 12:53 p.m.
                             Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 10/9/17 3:14 p.m.
                                   Re: The Chronicles of Quelouvascratskinner 10/17/17 6:38 p.m.
                                         Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 10/17/17 8:23 p.m.
     Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaTycho 10/22/17 4:14 p.m.
           Re: The Chronicles of Quelouvanevets01 10/23/17 7:42 a.m.
           Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 10/23/17 10:41 a.m.
     Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 10/26/17 10:49 p.m.
           Re: The Chronicles of Quelouvascratskinner 10/27/17 1:34 a.m.
                 Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 10/27/17 8:32 a.m.
     Re: Virtuality Transcendent: Part 3 *MOVED*scratskinner 11/9/17 10:50 p.m.
           Re: Virtuality Transcendent: Part 3 *MOVED*Forrest of B.org 11/10/17 8:39 a.m.
                 Re: Virtuality Transcendent: Part 3 *MOVED*scratskinner 12/21/17 12:48 p.m.
                       noticed you've updated while doing some factchecksscratskinner 12/21/17 2:26 p.m.
                       Re: Virtuality Transcendent: Part 3 *MOVED*Forrest of B.org 12/21/17 3:48 p.m.
     Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 11/22/17 12:18 p.m.
           Future Perfect expandedForrest of B.org 11/29/17 10:00 p.m.
     Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 12/7/17 9:30 a.m.
           Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaGeneral-RADIX 12/7/17 9:43 a.m.
                 Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 12/7/17 10:24 a.m.
                       Re: The Chronicles of Quelouvascratskinner 12/8/17 7:22 p.m.
                             Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 12/9/17 8:19 a.m.
                                   Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 12/13/17 9:10 a.m.
                                         Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaGeneral-RADIX 12/13/17 3:18 p.m.
                                         Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaYossarian 12/15/17 9:58 p.m.
                                         Re: The Chronicles of Quelouvascratskinner 12/16/17 1:22 p.m.
                                               Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 12/18/17 12:56 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.