/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: some random thoughts
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 9/9/17 8:40 a.m.

In Response To: some random thoughts (scratskinner)

: Exactly how much of the solar system is wrecked by the end of Eye of Chaos ?
: particularly, has the Open Palm been demolished? Also, the ship the Valkyrie
: crew came back in: has it been blown up at this point?

The battle is still ongoing at the end of the Eye of Chaos series, but when we pick up again in the Resurgent series, all technological civilization in the solar system besides Pacifica, Alexandria, and the uninhabited colony on Venus that was under construction during Eye of Chaos, are destroyed; including the Open Palm and the Asiron ship the Valkyries returned in.

Some of that battle might be featured near the end of the Nurbal series, though it's the stuff beyond Sol that's most important there, so we might not see much of what specifically happened at Sol.

: Exactly how widespread and easy to replicate is Virtuality tech? like, can
: you set up your own Virtuality server outside the Starbridges?

: What I'm leading up to here is: is it possible for there to be Virtuality
: survivors other than the ones Xio hosts?

I hadn't given a lot of thought as to how easy it is to replicate Virtuality tech, though I'm sure it's not very easy, but it's probably possible. It wouldn't have survived the fall of Sol in any case though. There are other realms of Virtuality proper besides the Sphidiverse, they're just not important to the story, and because Xio only saves one part of the Sphidiverse, none of them survive.

: Also: Murdock's half-sister was born before Murdock. Tom got killed before
: Sue. Assuming there's a sort of last-to-die-is-next-to-rebirth sort of
: thing going on, (and somehow lumped in separate this-is-what-you-were-last
: categories), this would mean Murdock's half-sister is not the
: reincarnation of Sue. (I think you kind of implied that with the title
: summary).

: More interestingly, (still assuming categories), assuming there were no
: original-style rebirths between Murdock and his half-sister, this would
: imply they were last to be turned before Tom was...

I haven't found a story-appropriate place to describe how reincarnation works in the corrupted Virtuality, so I'll just tell you here. Basically, when corrupted avatars die ("humans", orcs, elves, vampires), they leave behind ghosts (different kinds according to their kind; I plan to work some ghost-related stuff into the story here and there to illustrate that). Rather than those ghosts becoming material as their bodies decay, like the original avatars did, they just stay ghosts until they decide to reincarnate. Conception of children is not possible until a ghost decides to reincarnate; basically, the ghost chooses who their new parents will be, and then becomes the newly-conceived baby, and loses all memory in the process.

Tom and Sue just hung out as ghosts for ages, unwilling to reincarnate in corrupted avatars, until as chance would have it uncorrupted avatars were re-created for them. I had it in mind that Tom reincarnated as Murdock and Sue as his sister, but I have recently toyed with the idea of reversing that. I'm not sure I'll go through with it or not though. The full details will be worked out in Virtuality Transcendent.

: Also, "Darak Maij". I presume the homophone is intentional.

"Meij", but yes, and I'm kinda unsure of how okay I am with that. The original working title of that story was actually "Dark Mage". Darak was not the first named Meij character though; Meij Endaren was, whose name was originally Magendaren, in the first version of the story that eventually spawned the Ehrban saga, back before they were even aliens.

: Also, how do you imagine the various spacecraft through the ages?

I haven't given a whole lot of thought to it for a while, though I used to have things worked out for a much older version of what's now the Eye of Chaos series, when that was going to be a space MMO. The only images I have in my mind specifically are that the ship Keius left at Earth for Oron to live on was an enormous disc, which is mostly off-white in my mind. I've tended to imagine the ship that the Pantheon escaped Earth in looking similar to that, because that's what they know. And I also imagine the ship the Valkyries return in looking like that, because in a much much older version of the story that was the same ship as the one the Pantheon started out on (time travel was involved then), but I should really come up with something else now that that's no longer the case. Besides that, I've imagined both the Foundation and the Horsemen at different times flying black triangular ships. I haven't given a whole lot of thought as to what the more mundane ships used by ordinary people throughout the stories would look like, though.

Oh, I had one other image in mind that was originally a Nurbal design for the old space MMO, but I've been picturing it as the design of the Berol penetrator-ships recently instead. It's a long spine-like ship (spine like a backbone), lined completely end-to-end with other, smaller ships docked with it. I don't know if that's what it will actually be in the final story, but I've been imagining it as I write.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 8/24/17 10:00 p.m.
     Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaGeneral-RADIX 8/25/17 4:53 a.m.
     Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaGeneral-RADIX 8/25/17 10:26 a.m.
           Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 8/25/17 11:06 a.m.
                 Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaGeneral-RADIX 8/25/17 11:31 a.m.
                       Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 8/25/17 11:37 a.m.
     Re: The Chronicles of Quelouvascratskinner 8/25/17 8:45 p.m.
           Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 8/25/17 9:47 p.m.
                 Re: The Chronicles of Quelouvascratskinner 8/25/17 10:53 p.m.
                       Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 8/25/17 11:36 p.m.
                             Re: The Chronicles of Quelouva — MMOSsCan-ned Food 8/26/17 7:40 p.m.
     Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaGeneral-RADIX 8/26/17 5:10 p.m.
           Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 8/27/17 8:01 a.m.
                 Re: The Chronicles of Quelouvascratskinner 8/27/17 1:13 p.m.
                       Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 8/27/17 6:22 p.m.
     Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaCan-ned Food 8/26/17 6:36 p.m.
     Nurbal Colony: Part 1Forrest of B.org 9/6/17 9:45 p.m.
           Re: Nurbal Colony: Part 1Forrest of B.org 9/7/17 8:28 p.m.
                 Re: Nurbal Colony: Part 1scratskinner 9/7/17 9:24 p.m.
                       Re: Nurbal Colony: Part 1Forrest of B.org 9/7/17 9:50 p.m.
                             Re: Nurbal ColonyCan-ned Food 9/8/17 1:42 p.m.
                                   Re: Nurbal Colonyirons 9/15/17 2:53 p.m.
                                         Re: Nurbal ColonyForrest of B.org 9/18/17 1:26 p.m.
                                               Re: Nurbal Colonyirons 9/19/17 2:11 p.m.
                 Re: Nurbal Colony: Part 3Forrest of B.org 9/8/17 8:59 p.m.
                       Re: Nurbal Colony: Part 3General-RADIX 9/8/17 9:59 p.m.
                             Re: Nurbal Colony: Part 3Forrest of B.org 9/8/17 10:44 p.m.
                       Re: Nurbal Colony: Part 3VikingBoyBilly 9/9/17 7:52 a.m.
                             Re: Nurbal Colony: Part 3Forrest of B.org 9/9/17 8:13 a.m.
                                   Re: Nurbal Colony: Part 3VikingBoyBilly 9/9/17 3:18 p.m.
                                         Re: Nurbal Colony: Part 3Forrest of B.org 9/9/17 3:56 p.m.
                                               Re: Nurbal Colony: Part 3Forrest of B.org 9/11/17 4:00 p.m.
                                                     Re: Nurbal Colony: Part 3VikingBoyBilly 9/15/17 3:29 p.m.
                                                           Re: Nurbal Colony: Part 3Forrest of B.org 9/19/17 3:11 p.m.
                       Re: Nurbal Legacy: Part 1Forrest of B.org 9/12/17 10:12 p.m.
                             Re: Nurbal Legacy: Part 1General-RADIX 9/12/17 11:17 p.m.
                             Re: Nurbal Legacy: Part 2Forrest of B.org 9/13/17 10:06 p.m.
                                   Re: Nurbal Legacy: Part 3Forrest of B.org 9/14/17 9:51 p.m.
                                         Re: Nurbal Legacy: Part 3Forrest of B.org 9/19/17 2:35 p.m.
                                               Re: Nurbal Enemy: Part 2Forrest of B.org 9/19/17 10:28 p.m.
                                                     Re: Nurbal Enemy: Part 2Forrest of B.org 9/20/17 7:48 p.m.
                                                           Columbia Resurgent: Part 1Forrest of B.org 10/3/17 9:15 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Columbia Resurgent: Part 2Forrest of B.org 10/4/17 9:29 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Columbia Resurgent: Part 3Forrest of B.org 10/5/17 9:32 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Columbia Resurgent: Part 3Forrest of B.org 10/10/17 9:57 p.m.
                                                                                   Terra Resurgent: Part 2Forrest of B.org 10/11/17 9:36 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Terra Resurgent: Part 2scratskinner 10/12/17 12:22 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Terra Resurgent: Part 2Forrest of B.org 10/12/17 12:24 p.m.
                                                                                         Terra Resurgent: Part 3Forrest of B.org 10/12/17 9:31 p.m.
                                                                                               Sol Resurgent: Part 1Forrest of B.org 10/17/17 10:37 p.m.
                                                                                                     Sol Resurgent: Part 2Forrest of B.org 10/18/17 10:09 p.m.
                                                                                                           Sol Resurgent: Part 3Forrest of B.org 10/19/17 9:49 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Sol Resurgent: Part 3scratskinner 10/19/17 10:45 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Sol Resurgent: Part 3Forrest of B.org 10/19/17 11:24 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Virtuality Transcendent: Part 1Forrest of B.org 10/30/17 10:10 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Virtuality Transcendent: Part 2Forrest of B.org 10/31/17 9:31 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Virtuality Transcendent: Part 3Forrest of B.org 11/1/17 9:52 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Virtuality Transcendent: Part 3scratskinner 11/7/17 9:05 p.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: Virtuality Transcendent: Part 3Forrest of B.org 11/7/17 9:20 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Virtuality Incarnate: Part 1Forrest of B.org 11/7/17 9:08 p.m.
                                                                                                                                         Virtuality Incarnate: Part 2Forrest of B.org 11/8/17 8:25 p.m.
                                                                                                                                               Virtuality Incarnate: Part 3Forrest of B.org 11/9/17 8:55 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                     Virtuality Immanent: Part 1Forrest of B.org 11/14/17 8:55 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                           Virtuality Immanent: Part 2Forrest of B.org 11/15/17 9:03 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                 Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2scratskinner 11/16/17 1:46 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                       Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2Forrest of B.org 11/16/17 1:20 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                             Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2scratskinner 11/17/17 2:40 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2Forrest of B.org 11/17/17 4:00 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2VikingBoyBilly 11/17/17 5:57 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2Forrest of B.org 11/17/17 10:08 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                     Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2VikingBoyBilly 11/18/17 2:35 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                           Re: Eternal stuffForrest of B.org 11/20/17 10:02 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Re: Eternal stuffVikingBoyBilly 11/20/17 2:27 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Re: Eternal stuffGeneral-RADIX 11/20/17 6:32 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Re: Eternal stuffForrest of B.org 11/20/17 8:21 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Re: Eternal stuffGeneral-RADIX 11/20/17 9:19 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Re: Eternal stuffVikingBoyBilly 11/22/17 1:46 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: Eternal stuffGeneral-RADIX 11/22/17 3:30 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: Eternal stuffnevets01 11/25/17 4:37 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: Eternal stuffPerseusSpartacus 11/25/17 10:14 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: Eternal stuffForrest of B.org 11/26/17 9:25 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: Eternal stuffGeneral-RADIX 11/26/17 10:21 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2scratskinner 11/18/17 3:39 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2Forrest of B.org 11/20/17 10:33 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                     Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2 3cscratskinner 11/22/17 7:20 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                           Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2 3cForrest of B.org 11/22/17 9:54 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2General-RADIX 11/18/17 6:37 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2Forrest of B.org 11/20/17 10:40 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 2General-RADIX 11/20/17 1:51 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                 Virtuality Immanent: Part 3Forrest of B.org 11/16/17 9:57 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                       Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 3scratskinner 11/17/17 12:38 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                       Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 3General-RADIX 11/17/17 7:15 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                       Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 3VikingBoyBilly 11/17/17 12:35 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                             Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 3Forrest of B.org 11/17/17 3:23 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 3VikingBoyBilly 11/17/17 6:06 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 3Forrest of B.org 11/17/17 10:05 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                       Re: Virtuality Immanent: Part 3nevets01 11/17/17 12:46 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                       The Chronicles of Quelouva are DONE! (ish)Forrest of B.org 12/29/17 8:31 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                             Re: The Chronicles of Quelouva are DONE! (ish)General-RADIX 12/30/17 1:47 a.m.
     some random thoughtsscratskinner 9/9/17 12:29 a.m.
           Re: some random thoughtsForrest of B.org 9/9/17 8:40 a.m.
                 Re: some random thoughtsscratskinner 9/10/17 2:19 a.m.
                       Re: some random thoughtsForrest of B.org 9/11/17 9:35 a.m.
                             Re: some random thoughtsscratskinner 9/12/17 5:14 p.m.
                                   Re: some random thoughtsForrest of B.org 9/12/17 6:24 p.m.
                                         Re: some random thoughtsscratskinner 9/14/17 7:53 p.m.
                                               Re: some random thoughtsForrest of B.org 9/14/17 10:13 p.m.
                                                     Re: some random thoughtsscratskinner 9/16/17 11:01 a.m.
                                                           Re: some random thoughtsForrest of B.org 9/16/17 2:56 p.m.
                                                                 Re: some random thoughtsscratskinner 9/17/17 12:13 p.m.
                                                                       Re: some random thoughtsForrest of B.org 9/18/17 8:10 a.m.
                             Re: some random thoughts 2bscratskinner 9/16/17 9:12 a.m.
                                   Re: some random thoughts 2bForrest of B.org 9/16/17 2:58 p.m.
                                         Re: some random thoughts 2bscratskinner 9/17/17 12:31 p.m.
                                               Re: some random thoughts 2bForrest of B.org 9/18/17 7:41 a.m.
           Re: some random thoughtsForrest of B.org 9/11/17 3:37 p.m.
           Re: some random thoughtsForrest of B.org 9/14/17 1:55 p.m.
     Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaGeneral-RADIX 9/11/17 8:02 p.m.
     Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 9/28/17 9:43 p.m.
           Re: The Chronicles of Quelouvascratskinner 9/30/17 1:11 a.m.
                 Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 10/2/17 9:56 a.m.
                       Re: The Chronicles of Quelouvascratskinner 10/7/17 12:53 p.m.
                             Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 10/9/17 3:14 p.m.
                                   Re: The Chronicles of Quelouvascratskinner 10/17/17 6:38 p.m.
                                         Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 10/17/17 8:23 p.m.
     Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaTycho 10/22/17 4:14 p.m.
           Re: The Chronicles of Quelouvanevets01 10/23/17 7:42 a.m.
           Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 10/23/17 10:41 a.m.
     Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 10/26/17 10:49 p.m.
           Re: The Chronicles of Quelouvascratskinner 10/27/17 1:34 a.m.
                 Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 10/27/17 8:32 a.m.
     Re: Virtuality Transcendent: Part 3 *MOVED*scratskinner 11/9/17 10:50 p.m.
           Re: Virtuality Transcendent: Part 3 *MOVED*Forrest of B.org 11/10/17 8:39 a.m.
                 Re: Virtuality Transcendent: Part 3 *MOVED*scratskinner 12/21/17 12:48 p.m.
                       noticed you've updated while doing some factchecksscratskinner 12/21/17 2:26 p.m.
                       Re: Virtuality Transcendent: Part 3 *MOVED*Forrest of B.org 12/21/17 3:48 p.m.
     Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 11/22/17 12:18 p.m.
           Future Perfect expandedForrest of B.org 11/29/17 10:00 p.m.
     Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 12/7/17 9:30 a.m.
           Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaGeneral-RADIX 12/7/17 9:43 a.m.
                 Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 12/7/17 10:24 a.m.
                       Re: The Chronicles of Quelouvascratskinner 12/8/17 7:22 p.m.
                             Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 12/9/17 8:19 a.m.
                                   Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 12/13/17 9:10 a.m.
                                         Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaGeneral-RADIX 12/13/17 3:18 p.m.
                                         Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaYossarian 12/15/17 9:58 p.m.
                                         Re: The Chronicles of Quelouvascratskinner 12/16/17 1:22 p.m.
                                               Re: The Chronicles of QuelouvaForrest of B.org 12/18/17 12:56 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.