/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Pfhorpedia
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 10/1/07 10:53 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Pfhorpedia *LINK* (Guesty-Persony-Thingy)

: It seems to me like they basically say, no matter what, taking their
: information is illegal, regardless of what Forrest thinks it means. I just
: don't like that.

Taking their information without their permission is illegal, as I said; it's just ambiguous who "they" are. I would read that as "the people who edit this site", rather than "the guy who hosts this site", to get the interpretation I gave earlier.

But as thermopylae said, it's pretty clearly not serious. This whole community (with the exception of the Aleph One team who have to deal with the GPL, and a couple scenarios who have been anal about who may or may not distribute their works) generally seems to ignore licensing issues and just make cool stuff to share with their friends. Which is an attitude I like. But I can see why some people might be concerned with that, so a simple disclaimer that "by contributing to this site, you agree to license this site's present and future maintainers to publish, distribute, and modify your contributions as they see fit in perpetuity" could clarify everything legally. You're giving up your rights to dictate what the site does with your contributions (i.e. you can't demand they take it down later or anything), without giving the site any power to dictate how others make use of it (i.e. you're not assigning copyright of your contributions to the site, all contributors maintain their own copyrights and just grant an unlimited perpetual license to use their contributions however).

Also, humor in this vein: the WTFPL.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Pfhorpedia *LINK*Guesty-Persony-Thingy 9/30/07 10:43 p.m.
     Re: PfhorpediaJohannes Gunnar 9/30/07 10:56 p.m.
     Re: Pfhorpediathermoplyae 9/30/07 11:06 p.m.
           Re: Pfhorpedia *LINK*Druff 10/1/07 11:15 a.m.
                 Re: PfhorpediaGuesty-Persony-Thingy 10/1/07 11:24 a.m.
                       Re: Pfhorpediatreellama 10/1/07 11:34 a.m.
                             Re: PfhorpediaGuesty-Persony-Thingy 10/1/07 1:42 p.m.
                                   Re: PfhorpediaForrest of B.org 10/1/07 2:19 p.m.
                                         Re: PfhorpediaForrest of B.org 10/1/07 2:36 p.m.
                                               Re: Pfhorpedia *LINK*Guesty-Persony-Thingy 10/1/07 2:53 p.m.
                                                     Re: PfhorpediaForrest of B.org 10/1/07 4:06 p.m.
                                                           Re: Pfhorpedia *LINK*Guesty-Persony-Thingy 10/1/07 5:31 p.m.
                                                                 Re: PfhorpediaForrest of B.org 10/1/07 5:52 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Pfhorpedia *LINK*Guesty-Persony-Thingy 10/1/07 6:07 p.m.
                                                                             Re: PfhorpediaDocument 10/7/07 11:03 a.m.
                                         Re: Pfhorpediathermoplyae 10/1/07 7:03 p.m.
                                               Re: PfhorpediaGuesty-Persony-Thingy 10/1/07 8:45 p.m.
                                               Re: PfhorpediaForrest of B.org 10/1/07 11:03 p.m.
                                                     Re: Pfhorpediathermoplyae 10/1/07 11:05 p.m.
                                   Re: Pfhorpediatreellama 10/1/07 5:47 p.m.
                                         Re: Pfhorpedia *LINK*Guesty-Persony-Thingy 10/1/07 6:03 p.m.
                                               Re: PfhorpediaForrest of B.org 10/1/07 10:53 p.m.
                                                     Re: PfhorpediaDocument 10/7/07 9:43 a.m.
                                               Re: Pfhorpediatreellama 10/2/07 3:00 a.m.
                                                     Re: PfhorpediaGuesty-Persony-Thingy 10/2/07 10:16 a.m.
                                               Re: PfhorpediaDocument 10/7/07 10:19 a.m.
                                                     Re: PfhorpediaForrest of B.org 10/8/07 8:11 a.m.
                             Re: PfhorpediaNicholai 10/1/07 2:02 p.m.
                                   Re: PfhorpediaGuesty-Persony-Thingy 10/1/07 2:38 p.m.
                                         Re: PfhorpediaDanny 10/1/07 3:16 p.m.
                                         Re: PfhorpediaDanny 10/1/07 7:01 p.m.
                                               Re: Pfhorpediaukimalefu 10/2/07 11:52 a.m.
                                                     haha viva mexico cabrones! *NM*Nicholai 10/2/07 10:34 p.m.
                                               Re: PfhorpediaGuesty-Persony-Thingy 10/2/07 2:13 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.