/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Pfhorpedia
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 10/1/07 2:19 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Pfhorpedia (Guesty-Persony-Thingy)

: No, what I meant is that Project Traxus has a license that I don't want my
: work released under. Anyway, if you don't want to use Pfhorpedia, then
: don't. Just act like it doesn't exist, if you want.

I just went and read the disclaimer there (hadn't done so before), and while it's definitely not clear legal wording it appears to say more or less "this information is copyrighted by someone [unspecified], and it's illegal to use it without their permission". That's just a legal truth; this post is copyrighted by me and it's illegal to use it without my permission, your post is copyrighted by you and it's illegal to use it without your permission, etc. Now I don't give a damn if anyone copies my posts and you probably don't either, so people are free to do so all they want. If you post something to Traxus, it's no different: you own the copyright on it (automatically, by law), and Traxus' disclaimer pretty much say "BTW, beware of copyright laws" to other people who might copy it without your permission. But if they have your permission to copy it, they're free to do so. Your stuff can't get locked up in Traxus; the disclaimer just warns that you may not be permitted to copy other stuff from the site. It's not really a license at all, just a legal disclaimer, saying "hey, there are laws, please don't break them, we're not responsible for anything". In the absence of a license, copyright automatically belongs to the original author, i.e. you.

That said, I think Traxus could use clearer wording as to their copyright policy.

Most Bungie.org sites have (or at least used to have) a disclaimer along the lines of "by submitting stuff here you give us the perpetual right to do whatever we want with it, but you can still do whatever you want to do with your stuff too". This was implemented because, back when I was running Myth@Bungie.org, one of my former co-maintainers decided he wanted to start up another site, and insisted that we remove all of his contributions from our site, which were extensive and mixed in with everyone else's contribution, so that our site would not be competing with his. We said we didn't claim ownership of any of his contributions and he was free to start another site and use what he had written for us, but that he *had* created most of that content originally for use on our site, so permission to use it seems pretty implicit. I mean, imagine if I insisted that all my posts to this forum here be removed... by posting them here I'm obviously consenting for them to be here. But he continued to press the issue so we rewrote all his stuff and added that disclaimer.

I would think that something like that would be sufficient for Traxus. Personally I'm completely anti-copyright so I would put a "anything you contribute here you release to the public domain" clause, which would accomplish the same things as the B.org standard disclaimer and alleviate whatever concerns Guesty might have about his work being "locked up" in a "closed" project. But that's ultimately up to the maintainers of Traxus to decide. Either way, I think it needs to be clearer than it is now.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Pfhorpedia *LINK*Guesty-Persony-Thingy 9/30/07 10:43 p.m.
     Re: PfhorpediaJohannes Gunnar 9/30/07 10:56 p.m.
     Re: Pfhorpediathermoplyae 9/30/07 11:06 p.m.
           Re: Pfhorpedia *LINK*Druff 10/1/07 11:15 a.m.
                 Re: PfhorpediaGuesty-Persony-Thingy 10/1/07 11:24 a.m.
                       Re: Pfhorpediatreellama 10/1/07 11:34 a.m.
                             Re: PfhorpediaGuesty-Persony-Thingy 10/1/07 1:42 p.m.
                                   Re: PfhorpediaForrest of B.org 10/1/07 2:19 p.m.
                                         Re: PfhorpediaForrest of B.org 10/1/07 2:36 p.m.
                                               Re: Pfhorpedia *LINK*Guesty-Persony-Thingy 10/1/07 2:53 p.m.
                                                     Re: PfhorpediaForrest of B.org 10/1/07 4:06 p.m.
                                                           Re: Pfhorpedia *LINK*Guesty-Persony-Thingy 10/1/07 5:31 p.m.
                                                                 Re: PfhorpediaForrest of B.org 10/1/07 5:52 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Pfhorpedia *LINK*Guesty-Persony-Thingy 10/1/07 6:07 p.m.
                                                                             Re: PfhorpediaDocument 10/7/07 11:03 a.m.
                                         Re: Pfhorpediathermoplyae 10/1/07 7:03 p.m.
                                               Re: PfhorpediaGuesty-Persony-Thingy 10/1/07 8:45 p.m.
                                               Re: PfhorpediaForrest of B.org 10/1/07 11:03 p.m.
                                                     Re: Pfhorpediathermoplyae 10/1/07 11:05 p.m.
                                   Re: Pfhorpediatreellama 10/1/07 5:47 p.m.
                                         Re: Pfhorpedia *LINK*Guesty-Persony-Thingy 10/1/07 6:03 p.m.
                                               Re: PfhorpediaForrest of B.org 10/1/07 10:53 p.m.
                                                     Re: PfhorpediaDocument 10/7/07 9:43 a.m.
                                               Re: Pfhorpediatreellama 10/2/07 3:00 a.m.
                                                     Re: PfhorpediaGuesty-Persony-Thingy 10/2/07 10:16 a.m.
                                               Re: PfhorpediaDocument 10/7/07 10:19 a.m.
                                                     Re: PfhorpediaForrest of B.org 10/8/07 8:11 a.m.
                             Re: PfhorpediaNicholai 10/1/07 2:02 p.m.
                                   Re: PfhorpediaGuesty-Persony-Thingy 10/1/07 2:38 p.m.
                                         Re: PfhorpediaDanny 10/1/07 3:16 p.m.
                                         Re: PfhorpediaDanny 10/1/07 7:01 p.m.
                                               Re: Pfhorpediaukimalefu 10/2/07 11:52 a.m.
                                                     haha viva mexico cabrones! *NM*Nicholai 10/2/07 10:34 p.m.
                                               Re: PfhorpediaGuesty-Persony-Thingy 10/2/07 2:13 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.